Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)

Go down 
+2
Da Bank
Mordheimer
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Empty
PostSubject: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 2:46 pm

On this the 1st quarter of 2010, we will be running a play-testing campaign at our friendly local store, 2D10 Games, in Fort Myers, Florida (USA). Our main objective is to stress test the Kroot Mercenary, the Imperial Guard Catachan Jungle Fighters and the Chaos Cultists Squads in a semi-controlled environment. While we want to determine how this Squads fare against each other in a long term campaign setting (see how their growth affects their balancing) we are also planning to test several concepts that may never (or very improbably) be seen in a regular campaign. Before every game we will discuss elements that we would like to tests and after the game we will discuss how those elements (as well as other surprises) came to be. Based on results, changes to the Core Rules may be written... although more likely the changes will be at a Squad-level.

The campaign will be played using standard rules (700 points) by Dozer (Chaos Cultists [Nurgle]), DaBank (Kroot) & the Mordheimer (IG Catachans). Like it is now tradition, our campaign follows the Narrative Battle Reports... with every story affects the Scenarios and post-games results... or is it vice-versa? No matter... expect new threads in the incoming weeks from Dozer, DaBank and myself, and enjoy how each of the players (and their Squads) see the campaigns from their point of view. For now, get your juices flowing with the Epilogue!

================================ Aquila ================================
Sensory Array 738, Prelude
One of the most eastern systems on the Segmentum Tempestus is the system of Baddur. The largest of all its planets its the Agri-World of Baddur Prime. It is a mystery why was this highly productive Agr-World was spared by the Tyranid Hive Fleet Kraken during the second Tyranid wars, as it would have been a major source of biomass for the Xenos. Instead, it escaped apparently unharmed. After such ordeal, the Imperium's Administratum decided to install an early warning system in several planets near the border with Ultima Segmentum. Such bases would provide a constant vigilant eye on further Tyranid incursions... or so they thought.

Baddur Prime is roughly the size of planet Saturn, but its landmass composes roughly 70% of the planet surface, interrupted by the occasional deep lake or meandering river. Its four oceans are composed of fresh water, not considered lakes because of their vast size. Most of the landscape has been terraformed and used as agricultural lands, with the exception of the two Hive Cities (Alpha and Omega) and scattered farming villages. The planet's weather is mild and stable, perfect for agriculture. The only noticeable area is known ans the Null Void.

The Null Void is located directly under the permanent shadow of the barely inhabited Baddur Prime's only moon, affectionately known as the Green Sea, roughly 4,500 km. The moon is in perfect synchronization with Baddur Prime's axial rotation, so the small planetoid cast a perennial eclipse on the same spot on planet's surface. The moon's core is believed to be composed of highly enriched Unobtainium, but definite proof has not been collected by the Mechanicus as today. It is theorized that the constant bombardment of solar flares to the Green Sea's surface and the constant gravitational forces from Baddur's Prime has created electromagnetic fields engulfing both celestial bodies. As a net result, biological organisms tend grow and mature faster and healthier than normal, and sentient beings endure a sensation of constant well being. For the populace, this translate on healthier and more abundant crops and a more positive outlook of life. The Null Void is completely opposite; the terrain is barren of life and electromagnetic interference inhibits all electronic equipment. Naturally, the natives care little to explore or disturb this area of their otherwise perfect planet.

The Green Sea's terrain is mostly mountainous jungles. Several colonists attempted to make the moon their home, but the lack of major water sources to create irrigation systems made the endeavor non-prosperous. Currently there is only one major city, where the Sensory Array 738 is located, as well as various small settlements composed of descendants of earlier colonists. The Array is managed and operated by local civilian scientists, but regiments of Catachan Jungle Fighters are sent to the base to regroup from major conflicts. High Command is aware of Baddur Prime's properties to 'heal the body and uplift the spirit', so it is seemed as an appropriate way-station for Catachan's Regiments to spend some time re-training and re-grouping before being shipped to their next theater. On the other hand, Catachan Field Commanders hate being sent to the Green Sea; they see this as a major punishment directed to soften the men under their command. Such is the place, that when the local fauna becomes extremely aggressive during their mating season, Catachans are dispatched to eradicate them armed only with their Catachan's Fangs... so to give the beasts a minimal fighting chance.

So it is the time of the Imperial Guard Catachan’s 4573rd Regiment, The Eye Pokers, to be stationed at the Green Sea. The company was reduced to less than 4% of their size, and were sent there to absorb the survivors of the now disbanded 4921th Regiment (The Emperor's Strokers), 3256th (The Grot's Vomits) as well as to receive new recruits from Catachan. Rumors said that once at full strength, they were to be shipped to the Eye of Terror... for some real eye poking! For the meanwhile, they are to continue their boring patrols... praying to the Emperor for some worthy opponent. Careful what you pray for...

Unknown to everyone, Nurgle (the Lord of Pestilence and Disease) has another plans for Baddur and its Sensor Array. Rather than sending armies, which would more likely trigger an alarm for the Astartes, he has already infiltrated and sent his Champions to take over the moon and the Array. The plan is to take over the machinery, and while still sending data to the Imperium (so no suspicious minds get any ideas) reverse the effects of Baddur electromagnetic resonance; they are to create a new Death World, capable of projecting a death-field across several thousand light years. Nurgle wishes to launch the next Black Crusade and any resistance on the Green Sea will not stop him from accomplishing his goals of death and decay.

Attempting to foul Nurgle's plans is Tzeentch, the Lord of Change. Through his agents, contact has been made with the Kroot's homeworld of Pech. Unknown to anyone else, Kroot Mercenaries have been hired to fight everyone of the moon. The Kroot are to eliminate everyone on the moon, take over the array and destroy it. As an added bonus, they have been explained the healing properties of Baddur and the Master Shaper is convinced that acquiring genetic material from this world would allow the Kroot to gain regenerative adaptations which would make them practically immortals. The Mercenaries are focused on taking over the moon, and then the planet itself!

Such are the webs weaved on the galaxy. One of billions of conflicts resolved not by armies, but by unsuspecting individuals pawns of games played by dark gods to destroy the Imperium of Men.

Last edited by Mordheimer on Sun May 29, 2011 12:52 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Are the Kroot here for themselves as noted? Could they be working as mercanaries for the higest bidder or working with the Tau?

The KFC squad is coming to the planet on the pretext of destroying the array, but for whom?

I was feeding off your comments, that was my lame attempt at an Intro. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:06 am

Well, the idea was that they have been hired (and well paid) by 'someone' to eliminate everyone from the moon colony and destroy the Array. Who exactly? Well, it is open to your devious mind! For sure, the Kroot do not know that who ever hired them are undercover agents of Tzeentch... who just wants to ruin Nurgle's plans! Twisted Evil Of course, the Kroot are not stupid... once the 'job' is over, the Master Shaper will send some Warpspheres to take over (invade!) Baddur Prime.

The specifics of the 'hiring' are up to you battle brother. Very Happy I just planted the seed... you go crazy with it. After all... its just fluff to get your creative juices flowing!
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 am

Hmmm.....I do believe I can work with this. Prepare to bow to the almighty power of Nurgle!

I'm not normally this devious.......I swear........
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Sensory Array 738 Campaign - Catachans (The Eye Pokers) Intro   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:34 pm

I will be playing Imperial Guard Catachans, members of the 4573rd Catachan Regiment, The Eye Pokers. Here is their introduction... enjoy!

Imperial Guard, Catachans Jungle Fighters (The Eye Pokers) Introduction.
Captain Wilford Lance looked down and was slightly startled by his new bars of rank. His new uniform itched like crazy and the damned cough would not go away. Looking up to the holo-screen with renewed vigor he spoke.

- Sir, permission to speak freely... off the record.

- Very well Captain, permission granted. What's on your mind, son?
replied the three-star General, while his grim demeanor turned slightly softer.

- Why the fuck have we been shipped here? I served under your command at Catachan repelling the latest invasion of the chaos filth, during Medusa V it was the team under your command that I was assigned to who captured the second Death Leaper and finally at Mussel Province the Eye Pokers managed to retain the Green Tide long enough for the pretty boys to take the credit. Not only YOU promoted me to Captain, but awarded me full Administrative Rank! Assigned a new group of men for what? This shit? Not even the fucking Empero...

- Watch you mouth soldier!
interrupted the pious General.

- My apologies. Not even the holy Emperor knows where we are. This place is a dump! We are babysitting civilian egg-heads in a remote moon? FUCK THIS! How is that this shit hole any reward for my efforts? I did not even wanted a promotion in the first place!

- Are you finished, you overgrown baby? Since this conversation is not happening, I will take some of my time to let you on the scoop. That, and because I like you. It is true that the Eye Pokers did a superb job at Mussel... but they got pretty much eradicated. Reduced to a meager 9.8% fighting strength. Usually, this would mean disbanding the Regiment. Instead, we have decided to honor the sacrifice of the men at Mussel and allow reinforcements to beef up your ranks. Remaining men from the 4921th Regiment, The Emperor's Strokers, and from the 3256th, The Grot's Vomit, will be merged with the Eye Pokers. Not only that, but the new-meat from Catachan has been assigned to join you. I guess the Eye Pokers' Regimental survival will ensure that you Grox lickers will stay in for a while.

Why on the moon of Baddur Prime? The obvious reason is that the egg-heads need some babysitting. Least obvious is that the jungle environment will not only help your men to feel more at ease, but will allow the HQ to re-train some of you clowns to dance with two feet on The Green. Only known to a lucky few at HQ... because it is Baddur Prime.

The Captain looked puzzled while the General chuckled.

- Did you had a nasty case of Mussel's flu?

- Uhhh... yes, Sir. I was starting to cry blood. How did you know?

- Speckles. The little traitor did not care much for your threat of spitting on his recaff. Based on medical data, you had less than 20 days before joining The Emperor at his bosom. Yet, you managed to survive 15 days in stasis and 12 days on active duty. I bet my command that not only none of your teeth have fallen out, but that you are well in your way to health.

Lance was shocked. He thought it was pure luck that he was healing.
- You are right Sir. I feel as good as ever. I guess that luck had nothing to do with this. Speaking of luck, Speckles should be thankful to his lucky charm... as this conversation is just a dream I won't have to give him a Catachan Kiss. So... what's the deal?

- Baddur Prime, as well as its moon 'The Green Sea', have some kind of energy that promotes well being. None of this heretical magikal crap cures. It is just that people at that miserable planet tend to be... happier. Troubles seem to be minimized and natural healing tends to go better. The medical personnel can't account for it... we just know it happens. We have been using this location to regroup forces, and give them some time to recover before sending them to a new theater of war. I believe that the construction of the Sensory Array 738 and its protection is nothing but a sham... a hoodwink, so we can gather forces here without the enemy knowing better. The Eye Pokers deserved the best... so they got the best. I take care of my own. Once the men are recovered and the Regiment is back at full strength, you will be shipped to the next assignment.

Then again, you are drunk as a skunk and in your alcoholic delirium you are
imagining this conversation.

- Schizophrenia, Sir. I believe that is how Medical-Servitor calls what I have. Making shit up all day.

- Command, as you will learn, is a heavy burden. Hope you carry it well. Time to wake up...

With that, the General unapologetically terminated the transmission. The new Captain looked out the window, and saw the Navy battle-barge Inconsistus going to Warp. The General was now gone, but he was not alone. His Commanding Officer was on the base, as well as his Junior Aids; he would have to learn to deal with the pencil-pushers. Suddenly Sergeant Barrent entered the open communications room. He was a huge man. Some people confused him with an Ogryn, until he started barking orders. He was already a veteran Sergeant when Captain Lance was a raw-recruit. Men under his guidance trusted 'old barrel' implicitly; his insight to the enemy was uncanny. Between his cigar and his heavy chested frame, he could not sneak up to a lamp post but he knew what to do.

- You called, Sir?

- Yes, Sarge... come in. Barrel, how long have we know each other? Six years? No matter... how is that you turned the promotion down?

- Well... Sir. To tell you the truth, I care nothing for the shit-heads of HQ. They issue orders that make no sense... and I rather remain a Sergeant in Administrative Rank, but a 5-star General with my men. Of course... you are not on my shit list, yet. I guess it will be OK to do as you tell me... unless you pull something stupid... then I will just put my Commissar's hat! Problem solved!
Both men grinned... they were both aware of what happened to Commissar Hicks at Medusa V.

- Because of YOU, I'm stuck on the big chair; that makes you an ass hole. Between that and the manner you address me, I should have you court marshaled and executed. Then again, only my second in command should be allowed to do so. What? Don't look at me that way! I'm new to command, and I need someone I can trust by my side. I can trick the raw-meat, but the vets will trust only you. Command is a bitch... enjoy ridding it. That will be all, Lieutenant.

Ohh... by the way. I already filled a formal complaint on your behave with Catachan HQ regarding the Field Promotion, requesting a formal panel in 4 weeks. Too bad you will not be able to make it back on time. Of course, you can always request to be re-scheduled. You are dismissed.

He though the Captain pulled a great move on him. The newly appointed Lieutenant knew that requesting any changes to the complaint would mean an admission of guilt. He was stuck with the promotion. Reaching on his back pocket, he put an old tattered Commissar's hat. Marching out the room, he mumbled loud enough for Lance to hear...

- Let the stupidity begin!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Chapter 1: Rude Awakening (The Eye Pokers, Sensory Array 738 Campaign)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:05 am

Chapter 1: Rude Awakening
Imperial Guard, Catachan Jungle Fighters (The Eye Pokers) vs Chaos Cultists (Nurgle)

Captain Wilford Lance had deployed with some of the men under his command two days ago deep on the Green Sea's jungle. Nothing like a light stroll on the garden to stretch the legs and help improve his health. He needed to program some activities to further connect with his men, but this was not going to be easy on this environment. Suddenly his daydreaming was interrupted.

- Sir, vid-map shows that there should be an abandoned encampment just ahead. It was composed of one mining facility and five other support structures. Records indicated that the place was abandoned 47 years ago. My guess, is that the Green has swallowed the place. What are we to do?

This was the opportunity that Lance was waiting; a simple land survey exercise would work wonders on team-building skills. Also it would give the men something else to do, breaking the monotony that the Green Sea offered them. He looked at Lieutenant Marsellas; he was a rather tall fellow. Skinny as a twig, but fast on his feet. Like almost everyone on the now disbanded Emperor's Strokers, he was just promoted to his rank. Untested in battle and unknown to everyone under the Captain's command, it was critical that he could stretch his seniority muscles.

- Very well Lieutenant. Since we are already here, let's do the egg-heads a favor. Gather the twins and the rest of the raw meat. I want a complete survey of the area, including a full perimeter analysis and holo-pictures. I will take Lieutenant Barrent and Private First Class George Dush and survey the main building. Once you are finished, meet us there.

After a quick salute, Marsellas barked for attention. The twins stopped at unison, perfectly synchronized. Just like Lt. Marsellas, both of the twins had just been promoted to Sergeants. Unlike him, both men were part of The Eye Pokers since their recruitment to the Imperial Guard and practically everyone know about them. Not only they were solid fighters, but almost identical and very much inseparable. They were both typical Catachans; not too tall but built to last. Physically, both men had features that were carbon copies of the other, with the exception of their skin. Sergeant Pepper has skin as dark as pure ebony, while Sergeant Salt was a Hermansky-Pudlak albino. Young and eager to please, they put the rest of the men on attention. After a short debriefing, the men spread out for the survey.

Captain Lance, Lieutenant Barrent and Private First Class Dush headed to the abandoned town. George had been with The Eye Pokers for some time now. He was big, even for other Ogryns, and while considered by the Imperial Guard High Command a 'genius' among brutes of his kin... everyone though he was dumb as a rock. But the giant was not there to think, but to fight. His trusted Ripper Gun was loud enough to make him grin when fired, and few things made the brute as happy as blowing heretics up.

- Sir, objective building ahead.

- Thanks Barrel. What is wrong with this picture?

Barrent looked puzzled.

- What do you mean, Sir?

- Stop 'siring' me, fatso. It rained two hours ago... here the trees are without leaves and the grass is almost dead dry. Granted we were not here two hours back, but we have been moving at Administratum speed. Something is odd.

The Captain was right; everywhere they looked near the abandoned town seemed dry. The flora was not dead, but it seemed uncharacteristically yellowish, especially when it was considered that just 10 meters back where they stood it was a luscious jungle. With some trepidation, Captain Lance entered the abandoned central warehouse. Part of the roof had collapsed after decades of neglect, and evidence that the jungle had overgrown the place until not too long ago. Barrent moved to the east side of the building, while George stayed on the west.

Out of thin air, the familiar mini-thunder of autogun fire cracked on the air. The shots ricocheted from a nearby wall. They were under attack! The Captain ran outside the building, near the south end, taking cover behind a short wall.

- WE ARE TAKING FIRE! SARGE, USE THE MINI-VOX TO GET EVERYONE HERE! ON THE DOUBLE!

Lt Barrent ran towards the location of his Captain and screamed at the Ogryn to met them there. While behind a wall, he pointed at his rank bars.

- Told you it was stupid to promote me. Under regulation Omega-5821, I have been demoted!

- Unless I get shot... and that will never happen.
Lanced tried to move to get a better view of the new enemy, just to be shot on the upper chest. He dropped like a rock. Barrent knew that he just got re-promoted. Pressing on his neck-phone, he communicated with urgency.

- MAGGOTS! The Captain is down... someone has just shot at him. Probably an assassin... and unless Speckles gets his ass over here, they may have succeeded. Everyone, stop pussy-footing, get your pea-shooters and provide cover fire. We MUST take the Captain out. Unknown make and number of assailants, currently on the norther end of the main building. GEORGE, COVER THE CAPTAIN!

Barrent tried to get a pulse on the Captain. He was bleeding profusely, already turning white. He was in charge now. George moved in closer and with a blank expression.

- Dammit you Ox! Attack with that gun of yours!

Hearing that, George snapped off and threw the gun at the approaching enemy. A loud crack clearly resonated on the Lieutenant's ears.

- Remind me to kill you once we get out of here. Go in and crack some skulls... I DON'T CARE IF IT IS A DEMON PRINCE. STOP 'EM! GO!

Barrent peeked to see the enemy. Humans, in ragged uniforms bearing no markings of allegiance. Then he smelled him... then he saw him. Behind everyone else, he stood as big as an Astartes, but his armor fancied the Mark of Nurgle. Chaos! He needed the reinforcements now.

- Where the hell are you! We need cover fire NOW! Speckles, I swear that if you don't get here now I will make you eat your cigar lighter.

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game%2001%20-%20C%20v%20CC%2004George screamed a war cry and moved forward to assault an unsuspecting man. With a body tackle the man was knocked down on his ass. He quickly stood up and engaged the Ogryn in battle, as if possessed by Khorn himself. His actions were not missed by his allies; the Champion of the Lord of Decayed ordered his men to fire at will at the two combatants. No good deed goes unpunished. The first Officer shot his own man down; that would teach him to hesitate. The other Officer shot George, seriously injuring him.

The Lieutenant could see the reinforcements arriving south of their position, so he ventured to shot at the enemy. He rapid fired his autogun, missing his mark. The enemy was indeed luckier, shooting Barrent making him fall unconscious behind a wall, close to the Captain's body. From the north, Private Burnt Wood attempted to sneaked up with his trusted Flame Thrower. He was shot on the head directly on the head, his Flamer bursting in flames that consumed the body. The aroma of burned flesh mixed with the stench of the Heretical Marine. To him, it smelled like victory.
The enemy moved closer; two men were to assault George. A three to one ratio... even the Ogryn understood the odds. He was infuriated and remembered why he was there; to crack skulls. As the two men got closer, George picked one from his face. Lifting him up several feet of the floor, he made his face meet the rockrette ground in great haste. Only the man's legs twitched. He followed with a kick to the other man's torso, which broke several ribs dropping the man to the floor. A single Bolter shot cracked the air; it sound seemed to stop time. George just could see the Plague Marine on a second floor balcony, pointing the smoking weapon at him, before his eyes closed.

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game%2001%20-%20C%20v%20CC%2001Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game%2001%20-%20C%20v%20CC%2002
The situation was desperate; The Eye Pokers were out manned and outgunned. Reinforcements managed to arrive to the building, taking entrenching positions and started firing at the enemy. The exchange of fire was brutal. The Eye Pokers though they had contained the enemy at bay, when they saw one of them pull a Flame Thrower. Unceremoniously he pointed the weapon at the Captain location and pulled the trigger. A conglomerate of volatile napalm paste flew on the direction of his primary target, first burning George and two Infantrymen. Lt Barrent just recovered consciousness, and in a desperate attempt to save Captain Lance, he threw his body over his commanding Officer. While the secondary target managed to miraculously escape major damage from the infernal attack, the primary target was not so lucky... it received the attack full force. The heroics of the Lieutenant saved the Captain's life, but it came at a horrendous price. Part of his right leg was exposed outside the cover of the collapsed wall, and his foot was severely burned.

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game%2001%20-%20C%20v%20CC%2007Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game%2001%20-%20C%20v%20CC%2006
Lieutenant Marsellas appeared from the north, and started to press fire to the exposed enemy flank. It was a small diversion, but it allowed plenty of time for George to crawl out behind the intense firewall, pick up Captain Lance and moved him out of the area. The Decomposing Heretical Champion saw as the Guardsmen fled the scene. He ordered his men to stand their ground. His objective was achieved; no point on terminating the game so early. There was much Chaos to spread.

After some time, Jack "Speckles" Kevorkian could tend to the injured Officers. After brave attempts of the Field Medic to control his mouth-to-mouth rhythms, Captain Lance went flat-line. His dead was clear to everyone around him. Continuous use of the portal defibrillator as an enema jolted the Captain back from the dead. Lieutenant Barrent was not so lucky; his right foot was incredibly damaged. No amount of field medical assistance can help. They needed to return to base, so a Apothecary-Servitors tend to the injury and save the foot. It was clear that Old Barrel was not going to sprint any longer.

Defeat for The Eye Pokers!

Awesome first game! Continuing with a time honored tradition, we rolled everything randomly! The Scenario was Surprise Attack, and besides minor wording adjustments it was a GREAT challenge! Starting with 3 models was scary, but I had only to 'stay alive' until reinforcements arrived. Having Dozer shot my Captain (the only model he could see) on Turn 2 and get him OOA was inspiring... for him! HA! The best part was seeing his face of 'I feel so bad I killed your Leader!' No prob Bro! All in war! Wink

The bulk of my reinforcements came in Turn 2, but I deployed them in the wrong place... I should had put them behind the Chaos Cultists and sandwiched them in! Idiot! DaBank just rolled his eyes at me. Sorry! George was the MVP of the game... even when I 'cheated' with the 4 attacks thing. Sorry guys! I copied the info wrong. I will make sure not to cheat until Game 3 for the next campaign.

Dozer's Chaos Cultists have the Mark of Nurgle... OUCH! That T4 and T5 versus autoguns is a pain in the butt! Definitely I have to get some better weapons... and Hot Packs! Defeating this guys is a challenge indeed!

Even with a loss, it was a great game! We both were on rout, so it could had gone either way. I'm glad I loss, because I made bad tactical decisions. I blame the lack of playing on the last 6 months... but I have never been the best tactician! Looking forward to fight again!

Before that... I should get painting the models. Embarassed

Last edited by Mordheimer on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:23 am

Great Story and Great pics.
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 am

Nice one! I especially love the flame thrower pic. I will most definitly not forget my camera next week. And since you and dabank are playing there will be an abundance of pictures for you guys!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:01 pm

You might have a hard time taking pics of the KFC as they move so fast they are almost unseen.

Did you hear what the Kroot Shaper said to the Imperial Priest?
Be careful what you "PREY" for.
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:41 am

Not how I think of catachans but still THAT WAS FRIGGIN FUNNY! Eye Pokers is well aslo funny but I gotta say that I would have never called them that. I would hafe thought of Hellbers Hellbringers, Flyn's Firewalkers or somethin' down that line.
Anyway good luck.

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 am

Glad you liked it. Very Happy

I agree with you on the name... it is not a 'serious' or 'cool' name. Shocked The reason? Well, after each Regiment is formed they give them a number and a powerful name. Each regiment is composed of tens of thousands of men. The story is about 4573rd Catachan Regiment. The joke is that by now, they have ran out of the cool names. Rolling Eyes They are also tied by Regimental name with the Special Character, Leon.

Rather than being a bunch of silent-type brutes, which makes for minimal writing, I decided to portray the Officers as the newbies they are. To me, this is the very beginning of THEIR story. The fact that they got their asses whipped on their first battle (and that they did not behaved like Catachans!) shows their inexperience. As time goes by, and the Officers gain experience and skills, you will see Captain Lance become more aggressive and confident.

Anyway... its all in good fun! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Chapter 1.5: Alone in the Dark (The Eye Pokers, Sensory Array 738 Campaign)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:20 am

Note: Remember to click on the LINKS for full enjoyment! Wink

Chapter 1.5: Alone in the Dark
Imperial Guard, Catachan Jungle Fighters (The Eye Pokers); Pre-Game

The march to Outpost XXXII was brutal. The seemingly benign jungle terrain of the last two days seemed to have turned as hostile as Catachan itself. Captain Lance's chest burn constantly from the wound, and his cough started acting up. Lieutenant Barrent had to be sedated and carried by stretcher; Speckles had to made a field amputation as the infection and gangrene was settling at an alarming rate. The men were flooded with a paranoid delusions of being pursued by their assailants and seeing their commanding officers almost dead did not helped their spirits.

Besides the forced marched, it took almost 3 days to return to the the main outpost. The placed seemed deserted; The Eye Pokers were supposed to be on location, receiving reinforcements. There were almost a thousands men were on base when Captain Lance took his Squad for patrol. Now, the outpost was practically deserted. There was no sign of struggle, and the civilian guards on the main gate did not seemed distressed. Something was going on.

- Hey you! Where are The Eye Pokers? Where is everyone?

- Uhhh... I guess you are it General. Everyone is gone to planetside... you know, for the 'Be Well' celebrations. I hear on the commercial vox-caster that the Prime Minister made a big fuss about celebrating with parades and stuff. Well, at least until the damned thing broke. Only thing I get is static now.

Lance signal everyone to rush in. He sent Lieutenant Marsellas and few men to take Barrel to see the Apothecary-Servitors. He and the twins were to see the Communications Station. Upon entering to the medical facility they were greated by an older woman.

- I'm Doctor Pruth... what seems to be the pro... OHHH.... By the Emperor! When you soldier boys stop this nonsense! Quick, move it to the stretcher. Bingo, Bango... on the double!

Two Apothecary-Servitors, that had seemed better days, moved closer to Barrel. They started scanning the wound, and paper started to spill from their mouths.

- Nothing I can do. As a matter of fact, I still have to amputate farther up the leg. I have no Bionic Replacements... just an old prosthetic. I can have one ordered for you, and it could be here in couple of days. Hmmm.. odd... I can't see to connect to the Administratum di Salud office to complete the order. I guess the prosthetic is due. Leave your buddy here... he should be fine in a week or so.

Meanwhile, Captain Lance arrived to the Communications Station. The place was no bigger than a closet; he had seen field commands bigger than this place. On one single desk laid an old military grade vox-caster. A young blond man sat with his blue eyes wide open.

- Name, designation and rank soldier.

- James Podd... no soldier. I'm a Systems Eng...

- Shut up! What kind of gay name is James? I bet you they call you Jamie Fancy Pants! You are almost worthless. The idiot at the main gate said everyone is gone? Who gave the order?

- Ahhh... don't get your panties on a knot, man!

The sudden gleam of the twins holding a pair of Catachan Fangs, made the young man reconsider his words.

- Be VERY careful... your next words would probably be your last ones. Again... WHO GAVE THE ORDER?

- General what-his-name... I don't know! You people all look like baby Ogryns to me! I know we got a request from Prime Minister Damien Molakai himself to have the Guardsmen as guests of honor at Prime. They left two days ago... no word from them, but we are not expecting any.

- Listen to me very carefully. How many Guardsmen are still on this forsaken place?

- I don't know... no more than 20. That is not counting you and whoever you brought to the party.

- Can we still go to the planet?

- Nope. There are no shuttles and the next supply transport is not due for 27 days. But not to worry Sarge, we can still see the parades on the holo-vision.

Captain Lance knew this was a trap. Based on descriptions, the assailants at the mining outposts were heretics. Now somehow they have gotten rid of a complete Regiment of his brethren. He knew the strategic importance of this place and he was stuck in the middle of a huge attack from the filthy heretic. Picking up the mega-vox, Captain Lance spoke to the compound.

- OK... This is Captain Wilford Lance and I'm assuming total command of this hell hole. From now on, until further notice, Outpost XXXII has become a military facility. No civilian transmission are to be broadcast and we are under Marshal Law. All military personnel is to report to the main hangar immediately. Lance, out.

He put the mega-vox down, and turned to the twins.

- Sergeant Salt, Sargent Pepper. Go to the Depot and requisition EVERYTHING you can find. We need to move from this pop-guns to some real weapons... lasguns! I want everyone issues full Carapace Armor, Combat Helmet, a Lasgun and 5 Hot Packs. Get with Lieutenant Marsellas and have him organize real guards for the gate and I want a 1 kilometer perimeter buffer zone.

The young vox-operator was terrified. Looking at him the Captain Lance said,

- You are one of us now, Fancy Pants. Welcome to hell, Jamie... welcome to hell.

HA! I could not resist! jd3 joins us back from a long leave (stupid real life!) He will be testing Chaos Cultists, Tzseench... unless he changes his mind. Anyway... Welcome back Jamie! cheers

Last edited by Mordheimer on Sun May 29, 2011 1:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Did I mention that the ill fated regiment that departed Outpost XXXII met with an unfortuante warp storm incident which propelled them into the eye of terror where they are now enslaved as life-size dress up dolls gifted by Abbadon himself to his neice?

Terrible fate, just terrible.

I'm glad to be back and amd looking forward to playing next week!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 5:32 pm

LOL! Abbadon's niece... LOL! You cracked me up man!
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Ah well I can tell you have no tactical skill. Geting the Cap in to the fray is not some thing I would do untill I have some armour on him, my Caps have power swords but still. Anyway well done! It could have been bader than it was

Oh and two pukes to you DoZer Puke Puke

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 am

I'll see your two pukes and raise you a rotten half burned foot!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 am

dwi: Tactical Skills? What are those? Puke

To be honest... you are 90% right. Embarassed My tactics are ALWAYS lacking. I did NOT put the Captain to fight on purpose, thou. The Scenario (Surprise Attack) is brutal. It was designed to challenge players on a middle-end level campaign, not as the first game. The Defender has a higher probability of getting hit HARD the first Turns; the challenge is to either move or entrench until reinforcements arrive. The reinforcements arrive randomly from random table edges, so running can pose problems too (you may run away from your reinforcements!)

In this game, I was (randomly determined) the defender and I started with 3 out of 8 possible 'groups'... almost 50% of my 'groups'. Not bad or terribly unfair... until you figure that those are only 3 models; Captain Lance, Lieutenant Barrent and George Dush (Ogryn). For placement, I put the Captain on the center of the table (so he be at the same distance from the enemy regardless their random deployment) and the other two (here is my 1st Tactical Error) closer to where I was standing. I should had put one on the opposite side.

Tim's stinky Cultists arrived randomly on the 'undefended' and 'unobstructed' edge. The attacker had the 1st Turn, so they were running towards the Captain. I managed to moved him 'behind a wall' for complete safety. Tactical Error #2... I pay absolutely NO attention (I'm a moron like that!) and did not even considered that the Cultists would MOVE! So, after they moved... I was exposed! He had no other target... he even asked me if he could shot my Captain. My response? I said "Shot me here your filthy heretical turd!" and opened my mouth WIDE open. He rolled... one shot, one wound, one failed 5+ Cover Save and one 6 on the Injury roll. Just like that... Lance eat the bullet! Shocked I deserved that one... Tim was just following orders! So while I did NOT put the Captain in harms way on purpose, my lack of any sense of tactics allowed Tim's loaded dice (CHEATER! Wink ) to do their job.

Ohhh... and those were not the end of the Tactical Horrors Errors! On Turn TWO I had 5 'groups' come in (very lucky!) and rolled randomly that I could choose where to locate them. How about behind the enemy and sandwich them? Make sense? Yes. Is that what I did? No. Why? I'm a Tactical Moron. Just Kidding I put them behind MY forces... so they took 3 Turns to be in position to be effective. I made other errors... like triple-dog-daring him (see the video below for explanation on the dare...) to put his Flamer guy vs. mine. I forgot he is full of Chaos... and like all them bastards, he can't be trusted. Instead, he sent TWO Officers and blew my dude up! BTW... my dude died!

There were OTHER instances in which my brilliant tactical mind made even Tim ask me "Are you SURE you don't want to do this better?" While helping and abiding the enemy is strictly frown upon, he just felt too sorry for me. Of course, I learned the lessons of the past, and I thought he was trying to screw me over... so I stuck to my moves... which resulted in a 4 man BBQ.

Regardless, no matter what, I don't think there were more than 5 minutes that we were laughing (mostly at my Tactical prowess!)... which makes loosing OK in my book. I don't play competitively... I'm one of those guys that will be happy to loose as long as I'm allowed to make jokes and silly voices. I do have to learn how to play Catachans as Catachans... soon!
Back to top Go down
Librarian

Librarian

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm

As usual man, great story and awesome pics!
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 am

Haha, I am the same way (more tactical minded though) I play for fun not to win

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:53 am

hehe... jd3 is VERY tactically sound player. When we play each other is a love-hate event! He takes time (not too much, but for me more than 2 seconds is an eternity!) to think consequences and I celebrate all good rolls (even his!) with song & dance. We have the record of the longest single Death Squads game... five and half hours! Stupid dice... we keep playing patty-cake (as DaBank put it) instead of beating each other!
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:55 am

Stupid dice? DON"T SAY THAT! Fear the dice gods! Roll D6

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Chapter 2: Demon Within (The Eye Pokers, Sensory Array 738 Campaign)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Chapter 2: Demon Within
Imperial Guard, Catachan Jungle Fighters (The Eye Pokers) vs Chaos Cultists (Tzseench)

After few minutes, Captain Lance arrived to the courtyard. He was shocked. There were barely enough men to put together a couple of squads. How was he defend Outpost XXXII? Most of the men here were barely out of basic training, and by the look of the Logistics Officer there was not much equipment available. Lance picked up the datapad from his hand. The situation was worse than he imagined.

- Is this all?
He realized too late the demoralizing error of asking such a question.

- Emperor Protects. We will have to trust on His Grace and your ability to pray the correct Litanies. We are short on time, fix whatever you can as fast as you can. Lieutenant Marsellas... please witness, and once I finish organize my Squad. Sergeant Ochoa... ON THE DOUBLE!
A superbly well built man, even by Catachan standards quickly stepped up. He bared scars from battles long gone, and exhibited the wrinkles of middle age well.

- By the power invested in me by The Holy Emperor of Mankind and my rank among 573rd Catachan Regiment, The Eye Pokers, I confer to you the Field Promotion to Lieutenant. May all its duties and privileges serve you well. You are to keep Outpost XXXII safe at all costs. I have reason to believe that the filthy heretics are scheming to take over this place. We will divide the men in two Squads. I will take command of Squad Alpha and you of Squad Omega. I will take my men hunting for some heretical eyes while you are to remain on the outpost and defend it. It must NOT fall... no matter the cost.

- I understand Sir. I will make preparations to rig the place for detonation. Comes to worse, if the Emperor's Aquila may not shine on this place... nothing will.

- Squad Alpha, gather on the Depot. Take the Logistic Officer with you.

The men gathered as ordered. The shelves were empty and the place felt like a ghost town. Looking at the available resources, Captain Lance took requisition of the only available combat helmet, shotgun and the last Golden Aquila. His faith on the Emperor would protect him. He spread the goods and instructed the junior Tech-Priest to commence the Litanies of Renovo Machina.

- Lieutenant Barrent, get me my Squad ready. Its time to go to The Green and poke us some eyes.

Based on gathered intelligence from the holo-scans collected few days back, Captain Lance traced a path south of the ruined Manofactorium on sector 45-Epsilon-3. His plan was to set base camp there to launch guerrilla warfare to the heretics on the south. The objective was to buy time until the rest of The Eye Pokers returned from Baddur Prime. Upon arrival, he ordered the Demolition Expert Specialist, Dlown Tobits, to setup a secure perimeter with mines and booby traps. Upon placing some charges on an abandoned building, he noticed some movement on the second floor... the heretics were here! Calling the alert, The Eye Pokers rushed to positions. Again, Captain Lance cursed his bad luck.

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game02-CvCCTzseench01

Observations determined that the heretics bared the marks of the Tzseench rather than Nurgle. The group of ruffians were led by a Sorcerer. As the members of The Eye Pokers gather inner strength to face their foes by laying eyes on a statue honoring an unknown Space Marine, the Lord of Change decided to make his presence known by transmuting the monument to his image. Foul creatures! Defiling the images of those who serve the Emperor is punishable by death... soon they would feel His Wrath!

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game02-CvCCTzseench03

The Guardsmen split in the groups, attempting to rush forward between the heavy foliage and ruined structures to engage the enemy. Lieutenant Marsellas took two recruits with him on the far west, attempting to outflank the enemy. From a high building, two snipers started shooting, pinning the men behind an isolated building. Although no damage was done, this move neutralized the Catachans attempt to outflank the heretics, which would prove to be a critical outcome of the conflict.

Lieutenant Barrent, or as his veteran companions still called him Sarge Barrel, took the twins Sergeant Salt and Sergeant Pepper, as well as two recruits with him towards the east. The managed to move in a secure position, on the safety of a makeshift bunker made from some ruined walls. Barrel moved his men in position for cross fire.

Captain Lance took his Ogryn bodyguard (Private First Class George Dush), the standard bearer, the Medic (Jack "Speckles" Kevorkian) as well as two other recruits to make the blunt of the attack. They quickly moved forward, dodging enemy fire. Upon a small platform, George attempted to throw (once again) his Ripper Gun at an incoming heretic carrying a savagely looking sword. Luckily for everyone, Marsellas had tied the weapon to the Ogryn's arm. Instead of flying away, the weapon spat a volley of bullets at him, dropping him flat to the ground. George seemed very please with his new found ability to throw his gun's bullets. Support fire from the recruits pinned some of the Cultists to the heavy foliage.

This was the opening that they needed. Barrel order his men to open fire! First, the advanced scout took a heavy hit, suddenly laying on the floor moaning in agony. His sudden disappearance allowed the Lieutenant to see the Sorcerer's bodyguard. Taking careful aim, he fired his weapon. A blue malignant field surrounded the man. He dropped to one knee, clearly the psychic shield from his Master had saved him from certain death. The Sorcerer pointed his Bolter at Barrel, and surgical precision he fired twice. The first shot ripped apart the Lieutenant's prosthetic foot and the second one hit him on the left shoulder. This cause the heavy man to spin out of control, incapacitated him for what it seemed like a lifetime.

In the excitement, Ogryn decided to charge. Belligerent orders from Captain Lance to stand his ground were either unheard, ignored or (more likely) to complicated for the ab-human to understand. He charged carelessly at the first enemy he say, rather than maximizing the effort and take out another Officer. His charge launched the Cultist at the wrong end of his fist several meters above the ground. The landing made a very satisfying crunching sound, but left the Ogryn fully exposed. Captain Lance order his men to move close to provide support fire, but all the heretics had been pinned to secure locations, so all efforts were in vain.

The Sorcerer ordered two of his men out of the heavy foliage. Carrying Flamers, they moved closer and opened their Promethium Gel tanks at Lieutenant Barrent and his men. Flames engulfed everything on their path. Their position provided excellent safety against slugs, las and bolt fire... but allowed no room to move out from the path of the flames. The surprise attack was the doom of the Catachans. The twins took the blunt of the attack; without room to dodge, the flames consumed their flesh. Lieutenant Barrent, who was attempting to get up got severely burned on the attack. In a single sweep, the servants of Tzseench had changed the tide of the battle on the eastern front.

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game02-CvCCTzseench02

The Sorcerer maniacally laughed and ordered his other Officer to join him to assault the Ogryn. Armed with their poisonous weapons, the Sorcerer led the assault. His attacks found critical weak points on the giant, but it was his Officer who managed to dispatch George with a bullet to the Ogryn's unprotected head. With the living wall removed, the Sorcerer looked directly at Captain Lance while mumbling devilish incantations. Eerie red light seems to drip from his hands, resembling blood.

The Eye Pokers moved closer and opened fire. Every single bullet seemed deviated by the accursed Sorcerer's manipulation of the Warp. The Cultists shot at the Standard Bearer, and his fall seemed to symbolize the defeat of the Catachans. With great calm, almost as if he had no care on the world, the Sorcerer took a single bolt round. To Captain Lance the ammunition seemed to to have red swirling paint. The Sorcerer loaded it to the chamber of his defiled Bolter, aimed at the Captain and fired a single shot. Time lapsed for the Catachan's commander; he could see the demonic bolt round traveling through the air and how his attempts to dodge it seemed to be matched by the bullet itself. The bullet seemed to have missed the left side of his face and when he thought he was out of danger, the round exploded. Not only the sound was deafening, but what seemed to be an unholy spirit took over the Captain's left side of his body. Lance screamed in agony as his body plummeted lifeless to the blood soaked battleground.

From a higher elevation, Speckles saw the incident and attempted to moved to the rescue of his commanding officer. A Chaos Aspiring Champion would deny him. After the Captain fell, all Cultists eye's immediately shift towards the Field Medic; he was obviously the secondary priority target. The Champion grabbed his weapon and opened fire. While he hit his mark, the damage was superficial. To Speckles bad luck, he lost his balance and fell from the 3rd floor on his head. The immediate aid to the Captain was denied.

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game02-CvCCTzseench04

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game02-CvCCTzseench05

The Eye Pokers entrenched on their positions, and opened fire in a desperate attempt to pick the wounded. The Sorcerer, nonchalantly walked away and allowed The Eye Pokers to barely escape with their hides. Picking up some of the wounded, the Catachans left the area wondering why the Lord of Change has spared them... Tzseench had a more nefarious plan or was this yet another schizophrenic episode?

Only time would tell...

EPILOGUE
It took some time for Speckles to recover. By the time he opened his eyes, George was sitting down licking (literally) his wounds. There was no sign of the Twins, their charred bodies had to be left on the battlefield. On that time, the Captain was turning from bad to worse. Loss of blood and infection was the least of the concerns. Somehow, the demonic entity was fighting to possess Captain Lance. It seemed a titanic battle; the demon attempted to escape the man's body, stretching his skin like rubber allowing the visualization of his true form. It was the Golden Aquila that saved Lance from a Field Execution. The holy item glowed intensely every time the demonic spirit attempted to escape, seemingly pulling it back inside, not without leaving serious scars evidence if he struggle.

Obviously, Captain Lance was now in holy war against Tzseench's gift... a demon within his flesh. While the Lance fought for his life against the demonic entity, the Golden Aquila fought for Lance's immortal soul against the Dark Gods.

Defeat for The Eye Pokers!

THE TWINS!!! Burn to a crisp! Damn... at least I did not painted the models! Wink Was a great game! Like always, jd3 game me a master class thrashing. At first, we were fairly even, but just after replacing the Space Marine statue of the Hall of Valerium with his (awesome) model of Tzseench as a joke... he started rolling critical hits! By the Emperor's Mummified Foreskin... I have never seen so many critical hits!

But no excuses... as we discussed, I screwed myself up on the booby trap placement; I basically divided my forces. Sending George to assault was suicide and I did not managed to get the Catachans into close combat (where they are kings.) I definitely need to 'learn' how to play Catachans if I am to make something happen for them. This is a hard Squad to play... GREAT!!!

For the record, I continue my undisputed record of NEVER routing on purpose. Unlike all you chickens (yes... because that is what you are... a GIANT CHICKEN!!!) I have never called it quits. I stay until the dice gods decide for me to stay... and suffer the consequences of their Tzseench-onian tantrums. For the first time I wanted to rout... thankfully I failed the Rout Test (with an 11!), so my record still intact!

On an incredible note... I rolled THREE consecutive result of "12" (Skull Death!!! Skull)on the Serious Injury Chart for my three Officers. With the medic out of commission, all three died. Shocked After laughing about my 'incredible' luck, it was decided by all people present to allow the Captain to re-roll his miserable the result. While I was OK with him dying (I was the only one opposed to changing his fate), this was done primarily for James's mental health. He looked like he had ran over my dog with his car... THREE TIMES! Just Kidding No problem man! You know me... I'm cool. Loosing is part of the game too! We rolled Horrible Scars, so now Captain Lance causes Fear. I guess now I have to build a new model for him! Wink

Anyone got a mutated human head? Shocked

Last edited by Mordheimer on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Wow you suck! Just Kidding This is a good time to say "I told you to get better stuff" I mean do you even have lasguns yet?
That battle was a sad loss for you I could tell did your dumb ab-human meat shield live?

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 pm

LOL! Fun game... close one too, at least until half of it. Basically the stuff I got from previous game made no difference... as my dice were horrible! I got very little money... so I may get some armor. HA!

George did survived! cheers

Updated with pictures, courtesy of Dozer! I also added a line to make sure people know about George being alive, and the loss of the Twins. Thanks dwi! Wink

Enjoy the pics!

Last edited by Mordheimer on Sun May 29, 2011 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Chapter 3: Rumble in The Jungle (The Eye Pokers, Sensory Array 738 Campaign)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Chapter 3: Rumble in The Jungle
Imperial Guard, Catachan Jungle Fighters (The Eye Pokers) vs Chaos Cultists (Nurgle)

It was to the makeshift Command Tent that Lieutenant Barrent was summoned. The Captain stood shirtless with his back to the entrance. His Bolter was carefully placed on the floor, over an Imperial Flag, just behind him.

- Servo-Skull Scribe activate. For the Record, this is Wilford Lance. Rank; Captain. Serial Designation; 978-1844162314. Purpose of this record; confirm field promotion. Commence recording.
Without turning, the Captain continued.

- Lieutenant Barrent. Under the presence and witness of Sergeant Salt and Sergeant Pepper, I had promoted you to Lieutenant First Class and had relinquished command of Outpost XXXII. Unfortunately, my witnesses are now dead. Thus I'm invoking my honor as an Officer. If you know of this to be untrue, please speak your mind.

Barrel knew that it was a lie. There was no such field promotion, but he knew something was on the Captain's mind.

- Sir, yes the account in accurate, Sir. Your direct orders were for me to take over strategic operations as I saw fit, while you retained full command of The Eye Pokers.

The Captain turned and looked at his First Lieutenant with an angry scowl. Even in the minimal light, Barrel could see the scars that covered the left side of his face, shoulder and chest. The injury from the accursed demonic ammunition was brutal, but the permanent damage was even worse. Barrel would have sworn under oath that they moved with an unholy intent, as if they were alive. The Captain's anger faded away.

- Imperial Regulation 5468/34bj, Article Dark Forces and Warp Magic. Any soldier who, through his own will or no, becomes touched by the warp in any way and becomes impure and a danger to security, will be the beneficiary of the Emperor's Mercy. I have become impure... it is your duty to terminate my life. May the Emperor have mercy on my tainted soul.[i]

It was clear now to Barrel what the Captain wanted.

- [i]Indeed is my prerogative to dispatch you as I see fit... you filthy scum. I plan to do this, in presence of The Eye Pokers HQ. This means that your execution will have to wait.

The Lieutenant grinned, while the Captain gasped in shock.

- I... I'm serious! I can't take my own life. YOU have to do it. NOW!

- I'm in charge. Remember? I have sentenced you to suffer, and as a servant of the Holy Emperor of Mankind, you shall suffer on His service. No more excuses... or I will postpone your execution until the High Lords can witness themselves. Servo-Skull Scribe stop record and deactivate.
After a short pause, to insure that the recorder was indeed off, Barrel continued.

- Calm down, son. We are short handed, and you you are worth more alive than dead. I shot you, and the men will feel the despair and hopelessness of defeat. You remain alive, fighting the heretics, the men will understand that the Emperor indeed protects. After this thing is over, if you wish... I will grant you His Excellency's Mercy. For now, no self-piety. We got us some eyes to poke.

The Captain nodded and started to get dressed. Soon, he was out of the command post, all eyes on him... more specifically on his demonically possessed scars.

- Yes it is true. I'm tainted with the stain of the warp. It is clear to me, as well as to the Medic, that I should be dead. The demon in me fights to crawl out, kidnapping my soul. It is only by the grace of His Holiness that I remain alive. My faith, our faith... is our keeper and our strength. What happens to me later is not important. What happens to us, The Eye Pokers, right here and right now is what matters. The servants of Chaos want this moon. For what reason, I'm am not sure. What I can only guarantee is that none of them will remain alive and that this system will remain under the vigilance of the Mighty Emperor as long as any loyal man, woman and children across the galaxy draws breath! Let's Sergeant Salt & Sergeant Pepper's sacrifice not be in vain. For each one of us that dies, a hundred of them shall perish! So commands our faith and so shall be done. They may take our lives, but they never take our souls!

The men seemed with renewed spirits, as things promised to change for the better. Intelligence reports came through the Vox-Caster secure channel.

- Sir, we have managed to track enemy movement deep on The Green, Sector 32-Gamma. Based on planetary records, it seems to be an abandoned Xeno-Biology observatory post. Records indicate that it was stripped bare, so there should be nothing but ruins... yet hostiles seemed to be actively use it as a centralized command post.

- Roger that, Base. We will need two Sergeants and provisions to rendezvous with us. We are to investigate and secure the area.
Directing his gaze to Lieutenant Marsellas, he committed to action ordering his men to prepare for battle. This time, confident that he would get the upper hand... or die on the attempt.

After the two new Sergeants (Herbert & Erwin) arrived, the Eye Poker's Squad left for Sector 32-Gamma. As the jungle became more dense, the Catachans felt more in their element. Soon they manage to see the ruins; a small post... full of heretical scum. The plan was simple, send a diversionary force by the west, while the main force sneaked from the south-east. With extreme care, everyone moved to position.
Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle01

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle06

Breaking radio silence, Sergeant Herbert ordered the Eye Poker's Banner to be raised. Although it was hard to pin-point the exact location, the followers of the Lord of Pestilence got wind of the invaders. Three of their numbers moved awkwardly through the thicket, barely getting a glimpse of the True Warriors of the Illustrious Emperor. The enemy moved forward, only to find that the Catachans moved with ease through the thick vegetation. They started firing few shots, missing them all. The jungle proved to be a Guardian to the loyalists.
Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle04

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle08

Meanwhile, Lieutenant Marsellas moved close along with Demolition Expert Specialist Dlown Tobits. He had already infiltrated possible enemy paths, and smiled when one of his booby traps exploded on the far west. Alarms sounded, and they could see the confused heretics moving towards defensive positions.
Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle09

They could see Captain Lance, Lieutenant Barrent and the rest of the Eye Pokers moving closing to their prey. At times they would blend with the vegetation, becoming virtually invisible by all but the most trained Catachan eye. They have managed to move and counter-move and counter-counter move the followers of Nurgle, in a deadly game of chess. The enemy started to notice the Catachans, as they became really close to their positions, and started firing. Dlown Tobits got a flesh wound, and was forced to retreat back to the jungle.
Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle05

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle10

Fed up with the waiting, the Plague Marine ordered the Flame Thrower to move to the east bank and burn the jungle. Let's see how the jungle boys would hide. The heretic moved into position, when he hear a very loud click under his feet. Directly back of him a spring launched a very fake Venus Mantrap towards him. The non-believer saw the explosive giving away a bright light. He had barely any time to turn away to avoid his promethium tank to explode. He got the full impact, and was sent flying several meters up in the air. His Flamer obviously mangled, the heretic played possum between his few moments of consciousness. The Chaos Lord knew he was surrounded, but could not figure out where he could do more damage. He ordered his men to a more aggressive positions.
Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle17

On the west, the Sergeants declared charge, and moved towards the enemy. Three Catachans versus two heretics; it was going to be an easy victory... or so they thought. The followers of the Dark Gods were expecting such attacks and deflected the charge effectively. One of them, a Fallen Dark Angel renegade Space Marine Scout, took matters on his own hands... or better stated, his own blade. He cut Sergeant Herbert down, as if he was not there and deflected all the attacks Sergeants Erwin unleashed at him. A Cultists struggled to finish the Eye Poker's Standard Bearer, but the Emperor laid his holy intervention to safe him from the brutal attacks. The Lord of Decay would not be denied, so the Plague Marine charged violently into the melee. To a casual observer, it seemed as if the pustulent warrior was fighting his shadows. Effortlessly he terminated both Sergeant Erwin and the Standard Bearer.

Unknown to him, the main Catachan force was assaulting the ruins from the east. Armed with Catachan Fangs, the Officers took the weakest members of the Chaos Cultists, so they could concentrate on the Officers. Captain Lance jumped towards the ruins to dispatch a Cultist guard, when a slug shot the man dead. Exposed, the Captain brace for an incoming attack. Cultists moved from the north, and started shooting at the melee in complete disregard of their comrades. The Ogryn, due to his size, offered a living shield to everyone... but even then one of the Cultists fell due to enemy fire. With an almost unfair numerical advantage, several Cultists paid the price of their heresy. A Chaos Aspiring Champion saw the Captain exposed right side and charged. He managed to his several times, but the Captain's recently blessed armor deflected the blows. While Lance counter attacked, he could see the Plague Marine dispatching his comrades on the distance. So it is the duty of the faithful, to die for the Glory of the Emperor. The Captain's scars burned intensely, as he approached the followers of the Dark Gods, but nothing was stopping him. Something, or someone, was driving him forward. Marsellas and his team rushed to the building, taking defensive positions. Other Cultists tried to move in, but their bullets could not find the mark as if the Emperor himself had deflected the shots.
Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) Game03CvsNurgle18

The Chaos Lord stood motionless at a distance, understanding that he had been tricked and it was time to move in an tactical retreat. Scratching an itchy eye, he vowed vengeance another time.

EPILOGUE
After the battle zone was secured, the injured were brought for aid. One of the recruits had bleed to death, Sergeant Herbert had a cracked rib which would chain him to a resting post for a week. While in pain, he counted himself lucky... Sergeant Erwin was dead. Unlike the clean death of the infantryman, he was the recipient of the Plague Marine full assault. His chest wound was the size of a fist, perforating right right lung. Maggots already eat at his flesh, and attempts to remove them only made more come out of different orifices. Virulent puss oozed from his mouth as he mumbled almost incoherently the Litanies of Faith. The corrupt weapon apparently did more than damaged Erwin's body; his mind seemed to be gone. As flies surrounded his body, he could only scream for the death of his hatred enemies. Nurgle was attempting to send a clear message that he was aware of his defeated children and was not pleased. Yet the indominatible spirit of the Faithful persevered over the temptetions and corruptions of the weak-minded. Sergeant Erwin would live, but his days were numbered. Captain Lance would had to grant him the Emperor's Mercy soon... but now, he would serve the Emperor as a living weapon. He ordered the bodies of the dead burned, along with all their gear.

After the deed was done, George made a discovery. For once, the Ogryn's tiny brain was useful. He had stumbled on a small Warp Gate, and thinking it was a hula-hoop, he kicked it broken. If he had read the inscriptions (not that he could) only the Emperor knows what kind of horrors would had been unleashed. While it was obvious that the Eye Pokers had dealt a devastating blow to the Followers of Nurgle, the death of their comrades made the event a bitter sweet ordeal.

VICTORY FOR THE EYE POKERS!!!! (Finally...)

Brutal game! The game went well... VERY difficult; it was a 'chess game'! I did my best tactical moves only to be masterfully countered by Dozer. I tried to play like Catachans (sneaky, trying to get close to the enemy)... which looked like I was afraid (too much hiding). Well, I guess it looked like the truth! That maggot-philic Space Marine may as well be an Angry Marine! DAMN! He was kicking my guys DEAD like nothing! Holy Emperor's lint! Lucky me, he was on the WRONG side of the board! Very Happy The dice-gods decided to mess with us... all night; it was either 1's or 6's. I started with lots of 1's to-hit, and Tim with 6's. Then on the to-wound roll (if I managed to hit before) I would get 6's, and Tim 1's! We were toe-to-toe all the time. At the end... I managed to get my two NEW Sergeants OOA again!!! One will miss a game due to an arm wound, and the other rolled a Chest Injury (now would had Toughness 2)... so I decided to use my Medic's re-roll... only to get him MULTIPLE WOUNDED! Shocked Insanity follows me! I rolled Hardened (Immune to Fear), Madness (Frenzy), Horrible Scars (Fear), Bitter Enemy (Hates Chaos Cultists) and Smashed Leg (miss next game.) Now I'm without the TWO Sergeants! AHHHH! Besides that, I think I'm starting to play Catachans to exploit their advantages. I really like that the Cover Save is not over-powered and their weapons not abusively effective (at least not yet!)

On the play-testing area, we were confronted for the very first time with "Area Terrain". Before, the terrain was a very defined feature (a wall, a barrier, a hole, etc)... the "Area Terrain" is a whole new beast. By experience and instinct we could manage to play, but we needed to define the area terrain. It took us ~10 mins to figure out stuff and 10 more mins to simplify it. I think we managed to do it with 2 sentences; one to define area terrain and 1 for the rule on its use. We used the same rule to define around 7 or 8 in game situations, plus 5 to 6 examples. I think that we will be OK. I will sit down and write all the stuff and post it on the forums for your revision's pleasure... it will be a page or two to explain the stuff. More on that, later. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)   Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sensory Array 738 Campaign (2010 Q1 Play-Testing Chaos Cultists & Kroot)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next