Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney

Go down 
+9
Dysturbed
dumdeedum
Narcissus
Long_John_Silver
Chuchosky
Gatlag Stonetooth
Mordheimer
Arachas
Laney
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Komfritten wrote:
You can watch them here:

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/competitions/entrylist.php?c=65

thx for that Komfritten....

mmmmm sorry but I think I like Laney's entree alot more then some of those that placed.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 12:21 am

With all due respect... that a bunch of CENSORED.
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 475-2
I can understand if EACH of the bricks was scratch built and placed for 1st place... it's lots of brick laying. The terrain is not playable, but it could make for a nice part of a table. But for 2nd & 3rd place? You gotta be CENSORED kidding me.

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 463-1
That piece of CENSORED took 2nd place? Where is the difficulty and the art? A bunch of CENSORED thrown together with a bunch of water effects over? I have seen plastic VOMIT Puke that is much better than this CENSORED.

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 471-1
What about this CENSORED gem?!? It is CRAP. Compared to the crashed Valkyrie... this doesn't look like scratch-built and there is no obvious reason why the (WWII) tank got busted. The painting? It does not meat my basic definition of table-top quality (3 distinct colors)... and the terrain is laughable at best. If it was built by a 10 year old... great terrain. If it was built for a Terragenesis Competition... CENSORED

I won't deny that someone who paints at a 'eavy Metal or Golden Demon Winner level could critiques a particular painting style(yours or mine) as lacking in some areas. Maybe people who paint at that level critiqued your work, and it is FINE that THEY found room for improvement. So your work is not a perfect 10 in an ideal perfect world... but compared to those pieces of CENSORED, your work is "perfection made terrain". And compared to those that did not placed? OHHHH! The billboard is cool... but really, nothing major compared to your "(Zombie) Bio-Tanks". How about stacking the wood-vomit-hut and your "Alien Dissection Table"?

Yes... I'm pissed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 am

While I can see some of your points Mord (and thank you for them Very Happy )...

Zab who won first place wasn't going for playability (it's not a factor in the voting) - I voted him first myself Very Happy . To give an indicator of the work - most of the windmill is carved pink or blue foam (huge amounts of work). His carving and scenery pieces are all awesome!

For Thumper who got second - wasn't my favourite piece of his - the warehouse in the swamp he did to win in another competition was awesome. His weathering on the deck of the boat was what I think made this special - he used salt weathering and trialed several different styles. The WIP thread for each build tells you a great deal.

Kishkumen who was third - scratchbuilt the T72 to scale (1:35) with plasticard, old car model parts and pasta (and didn't use a plan like I did). The tank is a left over for the Iraq war (first one) and the weathering is really accurate (It's the trouble with camouflage and rust!).

Last two competitions have had 11 and 14 competitors respectively (some in the past have had 3 or 4), so it is great (and difficult) competition. The billboard was built in two days and I'm surprised the greenhouse didn't do better to be honest. Either way I'll have another go and see if I can place!

While I was disappointed not to place this time - most of my votes have matched who came 1-2-3 (maybe I should just vote for myself!)

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 am

Quote :
Zab who won first place wasn't going for playability (it's not a factor in the voting) - I voted him first myself Very Happy . To give an indicator of the work - most of the windmill is carved pink or blue foam (huge amounts of work). His carving and scenery pieces are all awesome!
I agree with you 100%. If EACH brick was carved... that is a LOT of bricks.

Quote :
For Thumper who got second - wasn't my favourite piece of his - the warehouse in the swamp he did to win in another competition was awesome. His weathering on the deck of the boat was what I think made this special - he used salt weathering and trialed several different styles. The WIP thread for each build tells you a great deal.
But the end result is CRAP. I look at it this way... I decided to take DeafNala's Mushroom tutorial for a spin, but instead of crazy shrooms, I make deamons. Mine are so awesome, that you can see their eyelashes (that is some GS sculpting for ya'!) and then I paint them with Dozer's wet-palette thinggy and detailed with your delicate highlights. I'm awesome made flesh... and then I spray paint them with thick pink goo. I just return to my normal looser demographic! Just Kidding His individual techniques may have been good... but the end result is crap. Your stuff is WAY better... I stand by it.

Quote :
Kishkumen who was third - scratchbuilt the T72 to scale (1:35) with plasticard, old car model parts and pasta (and didn't use a plan like I did). The tank is a left over for the Iraq war (first one) and the weathering is really accurate (It's the trouble with camouflage and rust!).
Maybe the single pic that was shared did not reflect all that. I'm not saying that is not good, but you can NOT tell me that you are being punished for using a blue-print... which makes sense if you are scratch-building, while others get rewarded by using "old car model parts and pasta". Just look at the model and yours. They BOTH look like stock models... his has stock parts while yours do not. You also know... the smaller the scale, the easier it is to paint and work with. Your stuff is WAY better... I stand by it.

Like I have learned... you are a gracious looser. It's OK... I will be bitter for the both of us! HA! Just keep building stuff and share with us. Ohhh... and yes... vote for yourself! Just Kidding

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:04 am

Indeed pretty disappointing... understatement I know, but I tried to create a sentence which didn't need CENSORING
The windmill is indeed nice but the rest are pretty much poo like Mord said!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 am

I did not said "poo"... I said...
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 7:42 pm

I know that everyone is trying to support Laney in his quest to place on terragenesis, but doesn't putting down the entries of other people really go against the spirit of these "competitions"? Terragenesis hosts the competitions as a way to increase the amount of things that are posted and shared in their community. The competitions are very successful and push lots of people to go beyond themselves and try new techniques. As a competition there will always be bias as the members are a community and because the WIP posts are as important as the final product in creating interest for each project.

I appreciate the hard work and the high quality of Laney's entry. I do not think that the other pieces are poo (etc.) as has been said by others. All of the entries are made by different people with different goals and interests. We should be supporting the creation of interesting terrain. All of these entries may do something to further this hobby and deathsquads itself. I myself frequently use things from these competitions for inspiration. You may see some of the aforementioned "poo" showing up in some of my own projects.

Please lets support everyone and not worry so much about placing! Lets be encouraging of all attempts to build terrain and to learn new skills and techniques.

Laney-I've really enjoyed your terrain thread. You have some difficult concepts that you have executed very well. I think the terragenesis competitions are excellent for this as they push everyone to reach a standard of near perfection. Keep trying! The real reward is the excellent scenery you have at the end (and then making plastic toy men shoot each other around them...).
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 2:34 am

Absolutely - well said Narcissus. While I'd love to place (I'm a hideously competitive person unless I check myself), you are absolutely right the terrain is the purpose. For me, the motivation of the competition has actually made me finish some terrain. You are also right, that the WIP thread is probably as important as the final product - Eazy-O for example almost always builds in the last week and despite the obvious quality of his builds he never places.

That said - thanks for all the support so far (I also really need constructive criticism so pull my next piece apart!). I'd also encourage anyone in need of scenery inspiration to check out Terragenesis (some of the modular game boards are superb) - maybe join the competitions.

Anyway time to think about the next competition: Over/Under... (I think I've missed the defensive position one with 2 days to go and no ideas!)

Any ideas? The piece must have one element of scenery passing over another. At least one of which must be a transitional space e.g. road/walkway etc. and must take up at least 50% of the piece. I'd like to base it either in jungle or spacehulk.

Ta Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 5:38 am

Narcissus wrote:
I know that everyone is trying to support Laney in his quest to place on terragenesis, but doesn't putting down the entries of other people really go against the spirit of these "competitions"? Terragenesis hosts the competitions as a way to increase the amount of things that are posted and shared in their community. The competitions are very successful and push lots of people to go beyond themselves and try new techniques. As a competition there will always be bias as the members are a community and because the WIP posts are as important as the final product in creating interest for each project.

I appreciate the hard work and the high quality of Laney's entry. I do not think that the other pieces are poo (etc.) as has been said by others. All of the entries are made by different people with different goals and interests. We should be supporting the creation of interesting terrain. All of these entries may do something to further this hobby and deathsquads itself. I myself frequently use things from these competitions for inspiration. You may see some of the aforementioned "poo" showing up in some of my own projects.

Please lets support everyone and not worry so much about placing! Lets be encouraging of all attempts to build terrain and to learn new skills and techniques.

Laney-I've really enjoyed your terrain thread. You have some difficult concepts that you have executed very well. I think the terragenesis competitions are excellent for this as they push everyone to reach a standard of near perfection. Keep trying! The real reward is the excellent scenery you have at the end (and then making plastic toy men shoot each other around them...).
That's true, I do not think the other entries are actually "poo". They're pretty good on their own, I said it in comparison with Laney's entry which fits our Death Squads theme more and therefore is more liked. But you're right it's not nice to turn down other people's work, I hate that when someone does that and now I do it myself... Embarassed So apologies for that! And indeed terragenesis can be very useful for inspiration! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 10:25 am

I understand what you are saying Narcissus. MY BAD.

I guess the problem I see is NOT on the terrain built nor on the builders, but on the judging and awarding. For example, the 1st place is not the best photo-realistic built, but it does look good AND the insane amount of work and dedication PLUS the techniques used (it requires lots of engineering and architectural thought) do make it feel like it is a "1st Place" winner. I can't say the same for the other two awards.

I participated in a Golden Demon... my goal was to make the first cut (which I did not... but got a nice compliment from some of the 'eavy Metal Team). While my work was not crap, if I have won 3rd Place... the judging would had been. My work was not up to par; great effort (specially for me) but not for the quality required. I'm not saying that Laney's crashed Valkyrie is the best of the best, ever... but compared to the 2nd and 3rd place.... wow. Sure, those two models required LOTS of work but the end judging is lacking. Think about it... Miss Universe looked like just came out from having intercourse with Nurgle, what would you think of the rest? By looking at the winners, you understand that they are the best of the competition. Seeing that ANY other work (not necessarily Laney's) is better, it makes anyone bitter.

That is why I don't like painting contests. To me, painting is a personal experience that we share. During the Prisoner Exchange (we should do that again!) everyone did the best they could. Some people sent models worth 1st Place in any contest, while others would not had made the 1st Cut. BUT our intention was that everyone submitted the BEST they could... and we all did. So we all won. If Terragenesis is promoting people to push the envelope of terrain building, recognizing that everyone has to start at some point is KEY and making it a 'popularity contest' (who ever the most votes wins... regardless how the votes are cast) is no problem.

If Terragenesis' objective is to propel terrain building to a new level (like Golden Demon does to miniature painting, give a world-wide high quality standard)... then the judging needs to be tight, and rewarding process, technique and results is vital. I was under the impression that this was the point... thus the judging is not tight.

In conclusion... my point was not to minimize anyone's effort. Any terrain built is a good thing. I just like Laney's better than the pile of weeds I made to pretend is a jungle. Just Kidding

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 am

A rush job - late entry for the defensive positions competition (no paint yet - just lots of glue and sand!

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 Img_8312
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 Img_8313
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 Img_8314

As you can see the crates aren't scratchbuilt - I'm hoping the paint scheme will bring it vaguely up to scratch for the competition (trying some new techniques)

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 am

That looks like its going to be one impressive piece of scenery, I love the use of the bottles, and is that party ring packaging? Anyways, its looking great so far, and I can't wait to see the painted product. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 am

Looking nice so far!
Hope those silo are containing cereal or something, because if it's fuel or so in them it's a hell of a position to defend! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Unfortunately, it's going to be too late for the competition - but I'll paint it up over the next few weeks (Don't want to rush it and ruin it - already made a major fix on it - only one bottle silo now).

@ Dumdeedum: Party ring packaging - the perfect generator when topped with baby food cap 'fans'!

Ta Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm

The terrain looks awesome. You guys can build terrain like no other. Looks very playable. EXCELLENT!

Gatlag Stonetooth wrote:
Hope those silo are containing cereal or something, because if it's fuel or so in them it's a hell of a position to defend! Laughing

HAHAH! That made my day! I can imagine some Guardsmen defending the place "DEFEND THE SILO TO THE LAST MAN!!!" Suddenly one of them turns around and dumbly looks at...

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 DangH161_hydrogen_flammable_gas_no_smoking_or_open_flames

Laney... now you MUST put a sign! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4