Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Star Wars Old Republic beta

Go down 
+2
Komfritten
Dysturbed
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Star Wars Old Republic beta Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 6:24 pm

I ended up getting a beta code for the server stress test this weekend. So far absolutely Amazing so far.
I plan on getting it when it comes out.
Anyone else on the beta?
on on Crullien Run Server here.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm there too Wink

Cant remember the server though - but it's German... And I'll probably change to a English one, once it's up and running...
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 5:26 am

I'm on Rogue Moon with a friend. Sith Warrior.

Verdict so far - I like it. But a game needs to be FREAKIN AMAZING before I start putting time and weekly payments in it. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 8:34 am

I didn't even bother and lost interest in the game some months ago. So far EVERY monthly subscription MMORPG I tried failed to live up to expectations. Lord of the Rings online got boring quite soon with all the 'collect x ammount of stuff from dead animal z' (even though free to play now, it was still to boring), Star Trek online also got repetitive fast and I never renewed my subscription. I tried Pirates of the burning sea (I think that was the title) and EVE online as well. Seeing EVE is probably going to change to a free to play model I might be tempted to return to that on, 'cause I like the style.

There is just to much amazing stuff out there that you don't have to play a subscription fee for. Next months I will be busy with Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed: Revelations and hopefully Guild Wars 2 (when they finally release that). Interestingly enough, the only MMO that held my attention long enough was one without subscription fees; Guild Wars 1, which after 5 or six years is still fun at times.

tl:dr: I wont be trying SW old republic
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 am

Colonel Prius wrote:
I didn't even bother and lost interest in the game some months ago. So far EVERY monthly subscription MMORPG I tried failed to live up to expectations. Lord of the Rings online got boring quite soon with all the 'collect x ammount of stuff from dead animal z' (even though free to play now, it was still to boring), Star Trek online also got repetitive fast and I never renewed my subscription. I tried Pirates of the burning sea (I think that was the title) and EVE online as well. Seeing EVE is probably going to change to a free to play model I might be tempted to return to that on, 'cause I like the style.

There is just to much amazing stuff out there that you don't have to play a subscription fee for. Next months I will be busy with Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed: Revelations and hopefully Guild Wars 2 (when they finally release that). Interestingly enough, the only MMO that held my attention long enough was one without subscription fees; Guild Wars 1, which after 5 or six years is still fun at times.

tl:dr: I wont be trying SW old republic

I've been wringing my hands like some cliched villain waiting for Guild Wars 2. I never played the first, but if they can even come close to what they're saying on their website I'm game. With the limited amount of time I can play (a few times a month tops) any subscription fee is a no go for me. I've heard decent things about Eve, would be nice if it went free.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:30 am

Recovering MMO Addict wrote:
Hello everyone. My name is Mordheimer and I'm an original EverCrack recovering addict. I have managed to be MMO free for little over 96,319 hours without an incident. As you know, every day is a continual struggle... the powerful urging... the never-ending longing... uhhhh... to hunt for some Lion Steak or cook some of my famous Bat-Wing Crunchies (extra cinnamon!). Hey, I even made Dark Elf Stake taste rather decent!

I'm here to support of all you and to remind that the struggle is worth the effort. Real life friends, even ones that are ugly and stinky, are better than any Leeroy Jenkins... well, almost!

Watch the WHOLE thing.

To said the least... if I even THINK of starting an MMO... you can kiss Death Squads goodbye... Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 am

Then you shall keep such horrid thoughts from your brain and leave the MMOs to those of us who will just neglect the small stuff...like our children, they're small right?
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Well, that's what kept from getting into any MMO: time restraints. Even when I had time, I felt I had better things to do. I just could not justify grinding for hours to get certain stuff. When I could be spending those hours on painting models and scenery, after which I'd physically hold something I had created (plus I'd have become more skillfull).

Of course fun is fun. I have a friend who can really, thoroughly, enjoy his time spend in MMO's. It's his outlet. So for him, it can be a really good investment of his time, considering that gaming helps him focus on the rest of his life.

But I don't know how he does it, with a wife and child. Though I wanted to test SW:TOR this weekend and I did for about three hours, I can't imagine having that much spare time every weekend (and even if I did have it, would I want to spend it?). Again, I somehow need the feeling that what I've done has somehow contributed to my life. A new piece of scenery enhances my next DS experience. Painted models do the same. Time spent with my wife and child has obvious advantages (heck, no advantage is needed there!). If I play the guitar I get better.

There's one REALLY good reason for playing MMO's, though: the social aspect. My friends and I don't see each other as much as we used to. We're all busy with working and a couple of us have families now. When we all log into the same game, we have a shared interested, a shared activity AND we have time to chat. That IS another good investment of time.

So, again, I'm going to consider this game. It's fun, it's rewarding to play and it's Star Wars. Prius is forsaking his heritage by writing it off already. It's STAR WARS, DUDE! Wink
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 1:28 pm

I can see your points, especially about having the time with a wife and children. Only reason I'd have anytime is because I work a rotating shift, so at least twice a month I have to transition onto nights.

As for a feeling of contributing, that's what all the rest of my life is for. Video games are fun for me specifically because they don't matter. Though I do enjoy painting and converting, when I don't have a group it's hard to be motivated and I have to set up and breakdown everything each time because I don't have a dedicated workspace for it.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 1:59 pm

ClausLars wrote:
Though I do enjoy painting and converting, when I don't have a group it's hard to be motivated and I have to set up and breakdown everything each time because I don't have a dedicated workspace for it.

That's a matter of organization, though. I don't have a dedicated workspace, either. And I won't ever have: I enjoy painting at the kitchen table, while the wife is baking pies or something. I imagine when my daughter gets older we'll all sit at the table and enjoy our hobbies.

What I do is that I make sure I have all my stuff readily available: a case with my paints and brushes and the models I am currently working on in a small box closeby. Setting up takes me less than 5 minutes: I grab my case and models, I put down a newspaper, a glass of water and something to mix paint on and I'm good to go. Store it somewhere easily accessible. I keep my scenery in a different room, all I have to do to paint some buildings is walk upstairs.

If you want to, it's really easy. Smile

But to return to your initial comment: yes, gaming is fun, just BECAUSE it's not contributive. Sometimes you don't want to be (and you certainly don't always HAVE to be). I agree there. I still like to see some progression in other hobby parts of my life, though, hehe. I guess it has to do with what satisfies you and what YOUR outlet is.
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah, it doesn't take me much longer to get my paints, but with my schedule if I have that kind of spare time at my house I have to contribute. I was managing some painting when it was just our two year old daughter, but when our son arrived I barely have time to sleep. He's almost seven months though so hopefully we'll start getting some peace.
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Good point about sw old republic at least thus far (level 12 trooper) I haven't really run into the typical quest you are talking about. You have to collect stuff but most of the time your killing the stuff to get to the goal anyhow.

Which is kinda funny actually cause the game is kinda unintentionally linear i think. The layout of starbases and bunkers leads to a big fight at the deepest point or the point where you are getting ready to leave so you are always kinda going somewhere. Therefore if they stick enough droid in your way you are kinda obliged to kill them if you want to get to your goal.

Not like wow where you go kill 50 kobolds for 5 candles. More like kill 100 droids to get ot your goal and just happen to pick up 20 who'sitwhat'sits

It makes you feel like your not grinding though that's kinda what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 am

It's got a lot more immersion than WoW ever did. Indeed the quests do not feel tedious at all, but you're often feeling you're really going somewhere. Of course I never got past level 10, so we'll have to see about that.

I got into beta again this weekend and logged some hours playing a Bounty Hunter and a Trooper. AWESOME. They put a lot of effort into making the non-Jedi classes fun. The immersion is even better and less 'standard' than playing a Jedi or Sith. Really unique stuff, very good. Especially Bounty Hunter is a lot of fun, since you can be as bad as like you and the game rewards you for it.

Enjoyed myself a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars Old Republic beta   Star Wars Old Republic beta I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars Old Republic beta
Page 1 of 1