Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IG Catachan style list

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shneddie

shneddie

IG Catachan style list Empty
PostSubject: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:58 pm

So I've decided to come up with a list of guys based around the idea of them being stuck behind enemy lines, or thought to M.I.A. on a jungle planet for a long time... So they've ran our of ammo and are just using close combat weapons, I think if I ever do play some games I'd upgrade the later to have guns.

Anyway Onto the list:
Officers
Captain-Catachan Fang, Devil's claw, Flak jacket, head guard, climbing harness, rope and hook

Lieutenant-Catachan Fang, combat knife, flak jacket, climbing harness, rope and hook

Lieutenant-Catachan Fang, combat knife, flak jacket, climbing harness, rope and hook

Sergeant-Catachan Fang, combat knife, flak jacket, climbing harness, rope and hook

Sergeant-Catachan Fang, combat knife, flak jacket, climbing harness, rope and hook

Recruits
Recruit-Combat knife, sword

Total: 736pts

Think I've probably gone a bit OTT on the officers and neglected the recruits...

Any comments or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Eddie.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm

First off: props to you for making a fluffly list. That's awesome. Disregarding ANYTHING I say from here on, if you're just going for fluff. It's perfect, leave it as it is.

If you want to be a little more competitive, however...

Not looking into the rulebook, so I can't say anything about point costs, BUT:

- You won't need the climbing gear on your officers starting out. Get them some rifles and pistols instead.
- You may want to look into getting a Medic and definitely also a HWS with a flamer.
- You can also lose the armor on most of the officers. Sure, they're vulnerable starting out... but you can buy a lot of troopers for that money. If you must have some armor, consider helmets or just outfitting your Captain and/or Lieutenants for starters.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm

I agree with Arachas... GREAT FLUFFY list! I think you can modify it a little and STILL be competitive (without sacrificing fluff)

General: I drop the Rope & Hook and the Climbing Harness... not THAT useful, and you need resources (or men!)

Officers: In general you WANT to move them into Close Combat. Walk behind Cover and Lay Low. Even in GRASS you could get a 4+ Cover Save. If you want ANY range weapons on them (which is NOT advisable as they can't shoot if they Lay Low), get them a Pistol (which they can use in Close Combat as a 2nd Weapon.)

Captain: Catachan Fang & Devil Claw... powerful CC combo! No need to give him a Ranged Weapon.

Lts: Get them a Pistol... a Lasgun could be fluffy. Power Packs can be recharged with solar panels or even with fire! Head Guards would be great... you NEED them to survive too!

Sgt: See Lts above.

Infantrymen: Drop the Swords... get them guns (rifles). For Catachans to be effective, you need to put some fire pressure... Officers will be Walking & Laying Low (SLOW!!!) so the Infantrymen could be close by firing (from Cover) to soften targets. You could 'justify' the Autoguns as 'they make their own bullets' or some crazy like that!

Medic: The ultimate in insurance (saving Officers) and SUPER fluffy... this bastard is tough as adamatium nails and he has kept the Squad alive for long time.

HWS: A Flamer guy could be cool too! I know is cliché, but he could make his own fuel (or stole some from wrecked vehicles) and he could put the hurt on pile ups of enemy Fighters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
shneddie

shneddie

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:28 am

Okay I've changed the list slightly, thanks for the help guys! Very Happy Let me know what yout think. I've not got enough points for the flamer, but i put in a medic and gave all the recruits Lasguns- I totally forgot that you could recharge the power packs- So the list now runs like:
Officers
Captain-Catachan Fang, Devil's claw, Flak jacket, head guard

Lieutenant-Catachan Fang, combat knife, head guard

Lieutenant-Catachan Fang, combat knife, head guard

Sergeant-Catachan Fang, combat knife

Sergeant-Catachan Fang, combat knife

Recruits
Recruit-Combat knife, Lasgun

Medic-Lasgun, Combat shield

Total: 729pts

Seems like a pretty fluffy Medic, protecting the troops with his shield while he works on them, can you have lasgun and a shield? If not I'll change it to a laspistol.

Cheers, Eddie.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 11:15 am

First, the current list you have is 726 credits, not 729.

Catachan (100)
  • Captain (55): Catachan Fang, Devil's Claw, Combat Knife, Flak Jacket, Head Guard (48)
  • Lieutenants (42 x2): Catachan Fang, Combat Knife, Head Guard (9 x2)
  • Sergeants (36 x2): Catachan Fang, Combat Knife (0 x2)

• Medic (32): Lasgun, Combat Shield (47)
  • Infantrymen (25 x5): Lasgun, Combat Knife (29 x5)

You MUST maximize the cash use in order to have a chance. Few suggestions:

Captain: All items he buys for his use are 1/2 off (except for the one item of any Rarity, which is full price). Buy HIM a Laspistol, and pass it down to another Officer at the end of the 1st game if you wish. ADD 13 credits.
NOTE: With whatever is left, you could get HIM some Grenades... Smoke or Incendiary. Pass them down to other Officers after the 1st game if you want. You will NEVER get stuff that cheap!

Lieutenants: Get them PISTOLS! You could shot if necessary (good backup) but they are WAY better than a Combat Knife as a 2nd weapon in Close Combat! Get ONE Autopistol (and the other gets the Captain's Laspistol... makes for great story!). Remember, you could say that the Autopistols and Autoguns are just crappy-crude-primitive Lasguns (thus the decrease in efficiency). ADD 15 credits.

Sergeants: Same thing... they have an AWESOME Close Combat Weapon, followed by an atrocious one! Get them PISTOLS... Autopistols will do!! ADD 30 credits.

Medic: Bad gear... They have horrible BS (hehehe... no pun intended) so spending cash on a Lasgun is wasting cash. He can do OK with an Autopistol... remember, he RARELY fires his weapon! Just Kidding The Shield is used in Close Combat (to Parry)... so he won't do good with it. The LAST thing you need is for the ill equipped Medic to go and try to get in Close Combat. For now, I would leave him WITHOUT weapons. SAVE 47 credits.

Infantrymen: I would recommend Autoguns. Save 5 credits per Fighter (for 25 credits savings!) You could say (in fluff) that these are crappy-crude-primitive Lasguns. There is not much Armor, so Autoguns are sufficient. SAVE 25 credits.

Doing all those changes, you still have 14 credits left. The Captain could get 3 SMOKE Grenades (for 12 credits)... they are cool because they BLOCK LoS... which is GREAT for your Officers, as they may be forced to cross a section without Cover.

There you have it... fluffy AND effective. Good luck!

Back to top Go down
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:59 am

Quote :
Lieutenants: Get them PISTOLS! You could shot if
necessary (good backup) but they are WAY better than a Combat Knife as a
2nd weapon in Close Combat!

I dissagree with this. The best thing about Catachan officers (apart from the fang) is the ability to re-roll on the damage table once per turn with any weapon that is NOT a pistol. This makes the combat knife way better than a las / auto pistol for Catachans in my oppinion. Especially at the start of a campaign where the +1 to armour saves won't matter much as noone has good armour!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 am

Just like Skavenslayer... Smack Hehehe... We CHANGED the rule for v6.0, and while I don't have an excuse... I was still on the OLD mode. MY BAD. To clarify...

Combat Knife's Special Rules
Easy to Carry: Combat Knives are easy to carry and are easily available for use. Combat Knives do not count towards the limitations of how many weapons a Fighter may carry and use.
Weak Against Armor: Attacks made with this weapon have a hard time penetrating armor. Victims have to take Armor Saves roll at +1 penalty. They do not get better Saves (from Save 4+ to 3+, for example) but +1 to their dice rolls (thus not increasing their Armor’s AP Value.) Note that if the weapon removed the ability to roll an Armor Save, there is no roll for the bonus to be given to. This penalty is not stackable with any other benefits.

Thus, if your Fighter has no armor (naked?), then you don't have an Armor Save and as such the knife cuts you the same. If your Fighter has Armor, THEN the knife would be less effective (thus the +1 bonus to the die roll). In the ancient times (again, this was changed for v0.6.0) the Armor Save was lowered by 1 point (thus if you had an Armor Save of 5+, you needed 4+ to Save... if you had no Armor, then you needed a 6+). Based on THAT fact (now changed... for the better?), having a Pistol to start is not the greatest idea.

BEFORE, the +1 Armor (instead of the current +1 to the Armor Save roll) was a major deterrent of using the Combat Knife, especially since the re-roll on Injury was for ANY one die rolled. NOW... TheBlackKnight is correct. Since most Fighters (Recruits) don't have Armor, the Combat Knife works fine AND you could still use that weapon with the re-roll to Injury. BTW... that is...

Catacha's Special Rules
Attack the Soft Spot: All Catachan Officers are trained on many aspects of human and xeno physiology, especially on how to exploit body mechanics and vulnerable spots to maximize damage in Close Combat. Officers engaged in Close Combat may re-roll one Injury Result per Turn done with any weapon other than a Pistol; remember that you can never re-roll a re-roll!

I apologize for any confusion... but you should NOT be surprised that I don't know TLRB. Yes, I write it... and that is probably why I don't know it! Just Kidding That is why I love to enter this discussions... it seems that brute force and humiliation Stick of Doom is the ONLY way I can learn the rules. HA!

PS: Thanks for the guidance TheBlackKnight!!!
Back to top Go down
shneddie

shneddie

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Hmm... So I think I'll go with what you said Mord, apart from the bit about the knives being replaced, thanks Mord and everone else!

I'll get a new list up soon...

Cheers, Eddie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IG Catachan style list   IG Catachan style list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IG Catachan style list
Page 1 of 1