Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Narcissus' Death Guard

Go down 
+9
Kiwi
Arachas
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
dr!zzt
rhuntar
Mordheimer
jd3
Narcissus
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

Narcissus

Narcissus' Death Guard Empty
PostSubject: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 pm

I thought I would start a little painting log on here with my Death Guard force. They will be from the Apostles of Contagion warband from the Siege of Vraks. I am aiming to finish 1,500 points in the next few weeks to have a force to take to a local tournament.

Here is an AoBR dreadnought I have converted for the force. I tried lots of new things with the sculpting and conversions.

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0788

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0801
Over the top tentacles.

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0787
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm

I like it a lot man. With the new rules for dreads, Chaos dreads are viable.

Your model is fantastic! I can't wait to see the rest of the Death Guard!

Are you using any FW?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Few things.

1) You are VERY bad. Since the real (and public) thread of constant Prisoner related torture, I spend LOTS of time not wanting to know
about you and the Prisoner. I'm a nervous wreck. I saw the thread was yours, sighed and opened it. I skipped the title. Suddenly I
thought that the picture was of MY Prisoner. I got excited. Then I read... and saw it was not. Screw that you are a lovable Canadian.
Now... I hate you. Mad

2) No AoBR's Dreadnought has EVER look worse... and by worse, I mean better and cool. The conversion is SPECTACULAR.
Another log to add into the Flames of Hate & EnvyTM that consumes my waking moments.

3) AMAZING how you carved/drilled holes, only to make the pustules... VERY effective. The cables are SPOT on... and the tentacle is scary.

4) I wish I could just IMAGINE such stuff. That would be fun. When I look at your conversions, I realize how blank, dark and obscure
my imagination can be. You just threw a forest to those Flames of Hate & EnvyTM.

5) I wished that you would ruin the model with paint... but experience has taught me that this will become another of your
Golden Demon Sure-BetTM models. I can only speculate on the confidence shrinking paint job you will present us.
Can't wait. No, seriously. I'm not being sarcastic. I WANT TO SEE THE PAINT. What?!?! Really! Uhhh... never-mind.
Just paint the thing. PLEASE! Wink

6) The Flames of Hate & EnvyTM are so intense that here in North Carolina we hit 74o F ... and we are
in Winter. Check out weather for zip code 27909. Tomorrow will reach 76o F. You have become a local hero for the locals.
I feel like I need to relocate again.

Seriously? LOVE THE WORK! Thanks for torturing me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 pm

Checked this thread while sitting down to Thai food with my wife. As soon as the first picture loaded the words "do you have any trips to Vancouver planned?" are out my mouth.

Her with a suspicious look: "No. But I'm not opposed to going up for a long weekend sometime. Why?"

Me (brimming with innocence) "oh... No reason..."

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Keep posting amazing pics and my but will be on the ferry...
Seriously, this thing looks great. I don't know this sculpt; is all the battle damage your work? Any info on how you did it? (tools, technique, etc).

-rhuntar

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 am

damn on you! for over 3 months i was soooo proud of my AOBR dreadnougth conversion... and then You appeared... with THIS!
really, i'm looking at your model and want to burn mine... Actually it's my girlfriend's, but still wanna burn it.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

jd3-I really like walkers. Eventually I want to add three, so I hope they are good!

Mordheimer-I didn't have a major plan for this model. I just built it as I went along. I knew I didn't want all of the nurglization just on top of the armour. I wanted it to fully integrate with the model, so I started drilling holes and cutting things apart. Then I put stuff inside and started adding more and more. I hope the paint job comes out well. This conversion was more a matter of patience and time than any skill. None of the sculpting was really difficult, just meticulous. It was nice to work at a larger scale than usual.

drizzt-I did burn mine! Many times. Hahaha. I did some shaping on the panels and on the tubes at the top with a candle to get a suitably warped look to things.

rhuntar-If you have a DS group there maybe we should plan some games some time. If you are ever up here we should definitely have a game. The battle damage was all done by me. The original model is pristine. I mostly hacked holes with a drill bit and hobby knife. I cut notches into hard edges with an exacto knife and then warped panels a bit with a candle.

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0791
Here you can see where I melted the panel a bit.

I am hoping to build and paint this army fast, so expect updates soon! Thanks for the support.

Should I paint the tentacles skin colour, tan (like a maggot) or pink/purple?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 7:38 am

Hehehe... I saw that it was not only me who got burned by the Flames of Hate & EnvyTM... hehehe...

MELTING the panels? Wow! THAT is what I'm talking about... talent? YOU GOT IT!

The tentacles' colors? Ifyou painting that Nurgle Rotten Flesh, then pink would be the traditional. I would push your buttons... paint it old, rusted AND corrupted Ultramarine blue (with some Rotten Flesh) then the tentacles maggot white. Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 8:06 am

That Dread is really looking awesome to the max! Love the conversion work done on it!
I would go for the maggot style, Can't wait to see it painted! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Narcissus wrote:

rhuntar-If you have a DS group there maybe we should plan some games some time. If you are ever up here we should definitely have a game.

Unfortunately, no DS group yet, but I'm working on it!

I struggle to meet wargamers since I don't play any of the main GW games. I've managed to get a few other friends to start playing Risk on a regular basis, which, we all know, is a gateway drug. I'm working on getting more than one squad and a full table prepared for when they eventually want to escalate Twisted Evil

I'm sure if I were more outgoing I could go hang out at a couple LGSs meet some great people, but I haven't made the time or investment yet. Plus, its just awkward to sit around and watch a game you don't know, played by people you haven't met, with the sole intention of trying to get them hooked on a different game.... I've got a couple posts on some local group forums, but nothing's panned out yet.

I keep my eyes peeled for local stores looking at mordheim campaigns, but those are a little few and far between....

Anyway, regardless of my pity party, that melt-y detail is fantastic!

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Awesome Dread!

And because it is Nurgle it's even better!

Great weathering and disease/tentacles etc.

I know the paint job will be ace too.

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for the support guys.

Here is my latest offering. I've fully assembled a champion and I am working on some more plague marines. All of this skirmish building I have been doing is making me take ages converting and building each model. I need to speed up. Or paint more large and high points value models...

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0830
Champion with power fist

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0827
...and tentacles...

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0834
Three torso sculpts in progress.

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0823
Here is a WIP shot showing the colour scheme I am planning to use on this force. Maybe a bit of a darker green though. This is a bit electric.
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 am

Wow man! That's Fantastic work. I need to learn to scuplt with green stuff better.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 3:05 am

Inspiring work as always.

Please keep converting each model (even if it takes you ages!) - if only because each conversion is superb!

I went down the speed painting/converting route with my Legion of Rust Nurgle force. While I got a 1500 point force quickly - the end result wasn't very satisfying (which is why half of it is still on the shelf incomplete).

The champion is a brilliantly characterful conversion. On the colour scheme - I think it looks great as it is.

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 am

I actually like the colorscheme: very Nurgly. However, because it is so typical, it's been done before. So you could opt for a darker green, so it stands out more.

ACE sculpting!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 am

Your work is so good, than when I opened the thread and saw the Dread (yes, again!) I muttered various obscenities. When I scrolled down and saw the new pics... I remain silent. To ME, this thread is like visiting Church... I don't really want to go in, joke about hating it... but when I'm tricked into going in, I just bow in respect.

One day... I shall call you Master!

PS: In case your skull is too thick to understand... LOVE THE WORK!!!! It IS great! Thanks for the pics. I shall study them!
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:01 pm

I don't think your paint scheme is an overdone one.

I think it's aweome, with a side of awesomesauce!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks guys.

Here are the latest models I've finished the conversions for (mostly, still might add a few cables to the exposed brain guy as I accidentally cut off a face cable...

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0849

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0855
Beaky

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0858
Three eyes

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0860
Braindead

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0846
I've also started assembling some terminators while I wait for putty to cure and things. Still a bit of work to go. The arms and legs need more sculpting (I haven't even cleaned mold lines off of the arms).

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0848
All the terminators will be fully magnetized.

Comments and criticisms appreciated as always. Also, any ideas for extra details I should sculpt on some models in this army would be appreciated. I've been making it up as I go along so extra ideas would be great. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:00 am

More great conversions - the Corvus helmet guy is my favourite - always brings back memories of the first space marine kit (the pale yellow plastic one). The exposed brain guy is ace too - I did a legion of the damned model that used an exposed skull appearing from inside a Mk7 helmet, worked well, but cost me cuts in both thumbs to finish!

The greenstuff is really smooth and detailed.

Ta Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Amazing work... like ALWAYS! Love the GS work... you really have LOTS of talent. You make it look easy... but is not. Particularly impressive is how you are not afraid of making your own stuff. Braindead... hehehe...

THANKS!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 pm

Amazing greenstuff work, the melting effect is very cool.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks guys. All of the greenstuff work is pretty easy. It is just a matter of doing a small step at a time and taking enough time with it. If you are interested, I can take pictures and explain the steps to do any of the pieces. They are really quite easy.

Laney-I already have three or four new scars just from this project. I cut my thumb pretty badly making the dreadnought (new blade, straight down into top of thumb) and have some notches missing on my index finger. It is removing the details that really does it to me...

Here are some terminators I have been working on. I still need to add more shoulder pads and do some more sculpting on the armour and nurglify the weapons and arms. I am pleased with how the bellies and heads came out (one head is unfinished). I want to visually tie all of the models in with the basic death guard plague marines.

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0886

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0885

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0890

Narcissus' Death Guard IMG_0895
All of the arms (except reaper autocannon) are removable.

I plan to have these conversions finished later today. Then I will build three more plague marines and then begin painting.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Narcissus wrote:
All of the greenstuff work is pretty easy.
Don't make me take a plane to Canada! Smack Easy for YOU! Hehehehe. Of course, a Tutorial would be magnificent. Your blog could benefit from it (BTW... THANKS!!!! I read the entries at work to save my sanity! Just Kidding ) ALSO... I could use the help for my Prisoner!

Your sculpts are amazing... as usual! Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Let me know if there is anything specific you want and I can try to help.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:58 am

Narcissus wrote:
Let me know if there is anything specific you want and I can try to help.
OK! I will bombard you with questions soon on my Prisoner's thread! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 am

I would REALLY like a tutorial !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Death Guard   Narcissus' Death Guard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Narcissus' Death Guard
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next