Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Empty
PostSubject: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 pm

10th/95th Varangians vs. the Drakes Nebula Eldar

The story so far...

The 10th/95th Varangian had been assigned to the relative backwater of the Peradephus Forgehive in the far south of the central continent of Varangia. Reismann felt that the 10th were being pushed into the background, rather than redeem themselves on a real battlefield, just to save the coward Simmersen from the disgrace and death he deserved. What made it even worse for Reismann, was that Simmersen's Sergeant Major Obadiah Hakeswill had been 'found wanting' and yet had also survived the Comissars bolt. The man who had once fought beside Reismann and finally betrayed him to his former Colonel, 'Ice Cold' would have his revenge.

But for now, he had to deal with reports of xenos - Eldar if the reports were correct, lurking on the edges of the Peralus Jungles which supplied the forgehive with the toxins that made the armament manufacture so valuable to the Imperium. He had very few men to deal with the problem, but at least Eightball would have his back...

The warlock Cy'Ren Valkethwe of the Drakes Nebula Corsairs knew the path of fates were drawing closed like a noose around the small Eldar corsair force. The outcome would be a worthy sacrifice to the Bloody Handed God.

Scenario: Surprise Attack

The Imperial Gunline stealthily approach the Eldar searching the ancient ruins on the edge of the jungle...
Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6049

Captain 'Ice Cold' Reismann leads his troops against the small Eldar force, shooting down the Eldar Psyker, before he can influence the battle...
Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6110

The treacherous Eldar bring in reinforcements en masse to catch the Imperial Guard in a pincer movement...
Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6111

Reismann himself is gunned down in a hail of lasgun fire...
Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6112

Eldar snipers pick out the Doc as he goes to the aid of the fallen Reismann
Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6113

Sergeant 'Oddball' fights off the attentions of two Eldar in close combat, putting one out of action and forcing a rout test, despite heavy losses and the Captain receiving multiple injuries the Imperial Guard came out victorious, dragging their Captain to safety (with a las shot to the eye, a smashed leg).
Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6114

'Oo 'urt da captin? Aldo smash dem!' - Aldo 'Dutch' Kurtz

Result - Imperial Guard Victory
Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann: Became hardened - immune to fear, lost an eye, all his weapons/armour, smashed his leg, gained a bitter enmity for Erethane Qu'Sh'Ard, the leader of the Craftworld Eldar.

Vasily 'Eightball' Zaitsev: Suffered a chest wound (Toughness -1).

Following the retreat of the Eldar the brave Imperial Guardsmen, led by Lieutenant Sharpe, liberated a number of hive workers from beneath the ruins of a bridge in the Northern Quadrant of the battle zone.

Enjoy Laney

Last edited by 02laney on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:07 pm

HAHAHAH!!!! Great report... pictures were awesome. BTW... is that kid asleed in the middle of your WAR? The nerves! Just Kidding

Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6110

02laney wrote:
Result - Imperial Guard Victory
Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann: Became hardened - immune to fear, lost an eye, all his weapons/armour, smashed his leg, gained a bitter enmity for Erethane Qu'Sh'Ard, the leader of the Craftworld Eldar.

Vasily 'Eightball' Zaitsev: Suffered a chest wound (Toughness -1).

Following the retreat of the Eldar the brave Imperial Guardsmen, led by Lieutenant Sharpe, liberated a number of hive workers from beneath the ruins of a bridge in the Northern Quadrant of the battle zone.
This is what I love about this game! Captain Reismann had already a cool Cool personality and background... but now he got even cooler! afro His story will be so unique...

Zaitsev has the toughness of wet paper now! HA!

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Indeed! How can one sleep with such greatness in front of him?
Anyway that sounded like a fun game, so he lost his kit, his eye, and a smashed leg? WOW! you can call captain gimpy now lol

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 3:32 am

That lad was playing a boring old normal 40k game on another table! Space Marines vs. Chaos I think.

I was gutted to roll multiple wounds for Reismann on the first game and then a 5 for how many! - But fortunately the exploration rolls went really well so I had the cash to re-equip. Zaitsev might just have to take a sniper role and stay far out of the real action - which was what I wanted for him anyway!

On Reismann - he really is a grizzled ex-stormtrooper veteran now!

I'll post a battle map at some stage too.

Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 7:33 am

You want to know what you HAVE to buy next? A MEDIC!!! The IG Medic allows you to re-roll any ONE Serious Injury roll on the post-game... so when you roll 16 (Multiple Injuries) for the Captain, you were confronted with accepting the roll or having the the Medic step in and re-roll (DUH!)

If you had decided to accept the roll, then you roll for the 2nd injured man (Officer or Recruit... your choice) and either accept that result or re-roll. The Medic is the INSURANCE against messing up (or even killing) your Captain and Officers. It is not perfect insurance, but better than nothing.

Live and learn. Another NINJA DESIGN that makes Death Squads so great!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 am

Wow! What a great report and game.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Mordheimer,

I've got a medic, but he got taken out in the battle as well (hence me not using the re-roll option). Is this right or does he effect the roll even if he is OOA himself? scratch

Thanks Da Bank
It was a short and bloody affair, especially when the Eldar in reserve all arrived on the same table edge, right next to my captain! I loved the first game and can't wait for the next - especially now we have a basic handle on the rules (we can go and get all advanced now!).

One thing we do need is some better 3D terrain - most of what we have is low level 40k type terrain - any suggestions? That cardstock website mentioned in the scenery section looks awesome - anyone got any experience with it?

Cheers cheers
Laney
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:59 am

I've make several buildings for WiA battles, and most of them survived. I used simple cardboard and glue + painting- everyone was satisfied. Here You can see one of them [first not-open] in second plan.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks - its great to see what other people are doing.

I love the kroot by the way - really characterful. I reckon you should go for the moustache on El Machete though! LOL

Cheers
Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 11:31 am

Ohhh... OK. The Medic can not be taken OOA for him to be able to help others. Some people hide their medics... I put mine to fight. That is why I loose more Medics than anyone else and my Officers are full of permanent injuries... LIKE YOURS! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 am

02Laney. I would check out ebay for terrain. There seems to be a lot out there.

Start small and work your way up with terrain. GW has a few specialized types of terrain that add some great flavor to the game.

Foamcore works great if you like to mak buildings.

I keep my medic in the back to I can use him at the end of the game. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am

Battlemap of Game 1, outlining the major events - sorry it's hand drawn (I'm a little old school in that sense).

Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Img_6123

Cheers
Laney
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:02 am

I love the map.

In fact, you could turn this into a map based campaign.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Cheers,

Great minds think alike with the map campaign. But, I'm not sure what way to go about it. I like the 40k version of mighty empires - but I don't want for pay for it! Maybe I'll make my own tiles in a similar format (like Lord GreyWolfs space hulk style tiles) or modify something from the old mordheim map. I'll have a think - any ideas?

Laney
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 2:22 pm

For starters, you could design a map that is based off 10 scenarios or scenarios you want to play and start off that way.

There has been some talk about something like this down the road that could come out with Vehicles and using tiles (space hulk type) but all time is tied up with Squads and rulebook.

Keep moving forward and the stars may be bright for you.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 12:48 am

Nice, Laney... very nice!

I got the info right away... it matched the battle report pretty nicely! Are you an architect or engineer? You have that 'hand-writing' style.

Long ago... seems like a lifetime ago... I made a map-based campaign for Mordheim. Check my original site, www.mordheimer.com, on the top menu. Basically I tool the map of the city and divided it on a grid. I even made a manual on stuff... hehehe... me and manuals have a thing! Anyway, you can create your own sector (just like Planetary Empires) in paper... like a big continental map for a RPG... with each of the hexes (or sectors) being something 'special'. Check it out, and let me know if it is any help. Smile
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Cheers Mordheimer,

I picked up this stuff a while a go (about a year) - and never made the link between that site and this one! (I'm clearly a bit of an idiot Rolling Eyes )

It is absolutely superb (max credit to you cheers ) and we used it as part of a mini-campaign involving mercenaries, skaven (me), orcs and dwarves. It'll be a good basis for a building a genuine map based campaign. I've used a map builder called hexographer (which has a free version), to create this starter map (It will have notes when I get the chance - and I've got an idea of turning it into a flexible modular map builder - like mighty empires, with the help of a bit of foamcore)

Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates Mymap210

Green tent - Ork camp
Red tent - Renegades camp
Grey tent - IG camp
Blue tent - Eldar camp

No - I'm not an engineer or anything - I've just got a little touch of OCD bounce

Cheers
Laney

Sorry about the pic - I've cropped it twice and it doesn't stay cropped!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Hehehe.... OCD? So THAT is why you fit so well here?!

Once we have more Squads stable, I WANT to make a huge map based campaign. I have a box of Mighty Empires and one of Planetary Empires waiting for me to make a HUGE map!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 12:13 pm

@MORD..I was waiting for you to chime in. I think you found our next victim...er...um...I mean an eager volunteer for "said" project. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:02 pm

hehehehe.... and that is why people ends up hating me! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 am

I'm intrigued Question and a little bit scared affraid - sounds like plotting to me!

I've put the map onto foamcore and cut it out into hexes to create a flexible map. I might add 3D buildings and markers next.

Laney
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 am

"I'm intrigued and a little bit scared-sounds like ploting to me!"
Hes catching on! Quick! Get him befor he finds out more!

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates   Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game 1: Varangian Campaign - A Meeting of Fates
Page 1 of 1