Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how do you guys paint?

Go down 
+8
Matt12z
Gatlag Stonetooth
horrid
Dysturbed
Laney
Arachas
Narcissus
littleducky
12 posters
AuthorMessage
littleducky

how do you guys paint? Empty
PostSubject: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:04 am

Personally, I can't do WIP like the rest because I paint in pieces. I can't fully assemble a model(certain ones are doable) and still get a brush where I need it to touch. What I'm asking, do you paint in pieces? Or paint already assembled models?
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:32 am

I always used to paint assembled as I figure it is hard to see what it is hard to paint. Painting models assembled allows me to hide the seams with greenstuff better.

At the moment, I prefer to paint models in pieces if I am able to. This is mostly as it is much easier to airbrush models when they are in pieces.

It really depends on the model and how I want to paint it. Some models it is really hard to reach some areas.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 6:08 am

I always assemble the models. Sure, not every tiny spot is within reach of the brush, but you usually can't spot those. At least, not on the table and that's what it's all about.

I think it's a lot more fun: usually I will have stories revolve around models I'm painting in my head. Their place in the squad, their history. That's fun I will never be able to compensate with 'segmented painting'.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:30 pm

I usually paint whole minis, because I like to see how the conversion looks. Though often that's about as far as the mini goes!

If you are using parts from the same kit or set of kits though - it makes it easier to paint in pieces.

The one thing I hate about painting the whole thing is when you have that obvious, but difficult to get at, part. Or, you find that there is an undercoated bit you missed on what you thought was a figure piece. Boss Snikrot was like that (If I painted him again it would be in pieces).

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 5:30 pm

I paint assembled only.

Except in the case of some tanks ect. Which you don't want the paint to mar the mobility of the pieces.

I think the key when painting is painting from the inside out aka the deepest parts and darkest colors first. Then move to the lighter colors in areas where you are showing there is light and are not as hard to get to.

Washes help cover up the parts you can't reach also.
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 7:18 pm

If at all possible I paint whole minis. I find it disruptive to jump between parts and end up losing my painting mojo when I discover missing parts still sitting at the basecoat stage lying about when I have what I thought was a fully painted model sitting in front of me. The hardest part with an error like this is realizing that stupid pack/pad/pouch is supposed to go on top of a detail I was digging when the part in question slipped my mind.

I do paint vehicles in sub assemblies (hull/turret) but it's usually because I'm concerned the parts might separate in mid-paint and smash when I'm thinking about colour and ignoring gravity.

My philosophy on painting is that if I can't see it or jam a brush into it odds are quite good most people aren't going to call me on it. If I was entering a high end painting competition I might change my mind but I'd rather not fuss about things so much when I'm doing it purely for enjoyment.

I would encourage you to give the WIP a go just the same. Even if you prefer to paint parts try posting a primary component (main body) through the process and finish your project with the complete assembly. You still share what you are working on and even have the drama of an unveil at the end.

Most of the painting in parts I do involves me getting disgusted with a project, sidelining it then coming back months later and repeating the process a couple times Very Happy-I actually paint in parts quite a lot.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 am

I also paint my models in one piece, mainly because most of my models are converted in some way. And like the others said if you can't reach it with your brush you'll probably won't see it! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 6:42 am

I've tried to paint in a mixture of both. If I have a few models to get through, I tend to do an assembly line, but I find that soul destroying, as I get sick of painting 10 lasguns, 10 bodies, 10 heads...you get the picture. I now tend to concentrate on a single model at a time, and tend to paint as complete miniatures. The exception at the moment is when one part of a model obscures another. So, for example, a bolter held by a space marine obscures the chest detail. So I tend to construct the space marine, as a whole, but paint the bolter and the backpack seperately and glue when done.

As for taking WiP shots, don't underestimate the simple camera phone. At this stage, no ones really expecting perfect shots!
Back to top Go down
littleducky

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Ive done the "assembly line" style, trust me...I paint orks. 30 shootas, 30 bodies, etc. It drains life out of me. I just do them one at a time now, and try to get a little better of a product in the end. If I make it tabletop quality, ill be satisfied. If I surpass tabletop quality, Ill be very happy!

And even in my amateur(very amateur) skillset, I want to paint everything, because i feel like people are going to be turning my model all which ways, looking under it and from every angle, I dont want to miss anything!
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 pm

I typically get way too excited when I start assembling and kitbashing and end up assembling models with little regard to how difficult I might be making things on myself.

After I start painting, I'm reminded "oh, that maybe wasn't the best idea..." so the next round will be partially assembled, leaving access to a couple key areas. My heavy weapons dudes with backpacks/arm slings have been assembled and primed with one arm left off lately, and my snipers with cloaks don't have their legs glued on so that I can get decent detail on the insides of those fabric folds.

But doing that kind of kills me, because I paint piecemeal and magpie from model to model. Leaving a model in pieces means I have to not loose either part in my clutter and means that , that individual model is not available to be played with, if a game happens to get scheduled.

The other problem that I have is after I start completing models, I start remembering that I wish I had done basing work before I started assembling, so then i'll launch into a fit of making fancy bases, that I can convert models around, which I think end up being the best product. This is where I should start, each 'round', but I typically get too excited to open a new box and get started 'playing with my toys' right away.

That's how I paint, as the 6 out of 200 completed models will attest. I'm not sure I'd suggest it as a strategy....

-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 am

littleducky wrote:
And even in my amateur(very amateur) skillset, I want to paint everything, because i feel like people are going to be turning my model all which ways, looking under it and from every angle, I dont want to miss anything!
You're right about that, now I think about it I do that too...
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am

I am a combination of various techniques.

For most poses on the models It is easy to assemble them 100% and then paint. Others however require assembling only 75%-90% and paint them in pieces.

Also, assembly line painting applies to my basic troopers. Nothing in them should really stand out, and they die in droves so that lovingly painted model only really lasts so long on the table top. However when it comes to vehicles, special characters and even some elite units, I will sit and spend time painting each individual model to completion.

My biggest hurdle was when I was initially putting together my fist 40k army. You run out and buy all the units you want, put them all together so you can play full games. Then you get stuck playing the games instead of painting all the units. I still have grey plastic marines because of this.

What should really happen is you by your core....and for 40k that's 1 HQ and two troops. Build and paint them to completion. Play small skirmish games with them. Then start adding a unit one at a time. Build and paint each unit to 100% completion before buying a new unit. It is surprising how fast you can put together a COMPLETE tournament ready army when you have the mental discipline to do this.

Really, to paint a complete army you have to develop a plan like you would if you were building an addition to your house. You ensure you have covered every step in the process, and once you have your plan you never ever deviate as it throws everything off for the rest of the army.
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am

rhuntar wrote:
I typically get way too excited when I start assembling and kitbashing and end up assembling models with little regard to how difficult I might be making things on myself.

After I start painting, I'm reminded "oh, that maybe wasn't the best idea..." so the next round will be partially assembled, leaving access to a couple key areas.

That's me...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2013 8:13 pm

How do I paint?

HAHAHAH! Me... painting... that is a dream now!

I used to paint the whole model by colors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how do you guys paint?   how do you guys paint? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how do you guys paint?
Page 1 of 1