Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner

Go down 
+5
Narcissus
Lord GreyWolf
mudboy
rhuntar
Komfritten
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Komfritten

Komfritten

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner Empty
PostSubject: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 7:17 am

I think I'm ready to try something new, to me, in the hobby; moulding and casting.

This is the initial setup:

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner Overview

I will update when I do something and hope to get advice as well as giving them.

1: First things first. I build a moulding box, with lego.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130111_034

2: Then covered the first cm with myDough, and stamped it flat with my LegoStamper(C)

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130111_036

3: Next I fitted the elements in the mouldbox, and pressed them halfway down the Dough.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130111_037

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130111_038

4: Then I mixed the rubber with 5% hardener, and poured it in the mouldbox. I made a hole in the bottom of the cup, and placed it on the table, so the rubber strethced out as far as possible. This removed most of the air-bubbles.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130112_013

5: Then I played the waiting game for about 24 hours.

6: When completely hardened I took out the mould, and it looked like this:

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130112_010

7: I removed the remaining Dough, with a toothbrush and VERY hot water - easy.

8: Then I placed the mould back in the mouldbox, and brushed the rubber with a release agent (only the rubber. I read that if you did it on the elements, they would loose details).

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130112_012

9: When the mould was firmly in place, I repeated the process.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130112_013

10: Then i played the waiting game again for about 24 hours.

11: After, impationally, having waited a VERY long time, I broke out the mould, and found out that I had not applied enough release agent. But fret not! I took my trusty knife and hacked away, 'till the moulds split apart.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_002

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_003

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_004

12: I cut out some plates from some wood I had in a box, to fit around the mold.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_005

13: Using some rubber bands, I put it all together again. At this point I was VERY happy I had made "pilot-holes" in the corners, by pressing a pencil down the myDough. I applied rubber bands 'till I found that the two mould bulged out, and removed again 'till it exactly stopped again (hope that made sense).

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_006

14: I used a 20ml syringe (without the needle) to suck up some resin, and - rather fast - spray it down the entrance hole. I applied, until it came out of the air-ducts, I had cut in the mould at strategic points..

15: I waited for about 20 min, and took it apart.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_008

16: There you have it, a replica of a TL Lascannon

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_009

Last edited by Komfritten on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am

This looks quite exciting!?

I've never done any casting myself, but the props department at my work does every now and then and I'm always super intrigued. I can always ask my co-workers if you have any trouble and no one else around here happens to know.

-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am

Well that look's strangely familiar Wink

Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm

are you casting up bitz? a mini? or terrain?

I am keen to see how it goes and how easy/hard it is to do...

LGW
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm also interested to see how this goes.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
horrid

horrid

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 1:06 am

Very interesting. It's something I always wanted to try out but figuring how badly I assumed I'd screw up versus the cost and hassle of ordering the product I kept putting it off. Watching eagerly; I'd like to see this in action. Many questions to follow.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 2:49 am

A little bit of everything actually. Right now I have a lascannon in the mould, and some lead-roof from Hirst arts.

the resin is fantastic Smile
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:37 pm

The lead-roof was an utterly failure, I did not apply enough hardener.

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130112_011

But the TL lascannon was a huge succes!

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner WP_20130113_009
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Komfritten: Great work! I might have to discuss something with you about a possible project. I will work up some details and work to PM you about it.
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 am

The cast of the cannon came out very clean. What happened with your mix ratio on the tin roof? I have a product called flexane I could do some nice molds with but all information was in weights rather than ratios (even online). I don't have a precise enough scale so I'm SOL until I rustle one up. Did you agitate after the pour? The absence of air bubbles on those casts is very impressive.

Very curious about the mold themselves. It looks like you set the channels/vents well because the parts look complete. Fantastic work!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 am

I have taken pictures of most of the process, so the first post will be updated eventurally when time allows it.

The lead / tin roof, just did not have enough hardener in the mix - it will never cure unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm

First post updated.
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Very nice!

It look's like you did a great job with the air vents.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 am

Very nice. The lascannon details look nice and crisp. I am interested to hear about your plans for the casting. It is making me think of some different ideas for casting sculpted bits. Any sculpted bits you are interested in casting, Komfritten? I'd love to sculpt some bits and see them in resin.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:53 am

@ Narc: You just send them over.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 am

Darn! This looks great!
Now you can have thousands of lascannons! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 am

I have quite a lot of rhinos which could be nice to have the opportunity to be razorbacks too.
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 am

horrid wrote:
Very interesting. It's something I always wanted to try out but figuring how badly I assumed I'd screw up versus the cost and hassle of ordering the product I kept putting it off. Watching eagerly; I'd like to see this in action. Many questions to follow.

Go to a food store or walmart most of them carry cheap $20 food scales.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 am

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner Cast2Latest endavour:Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner Cast%202
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am

Darn! Those sure look crisp!
Great work! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner   Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Komfritten's Moulding & Casting Corner
Page 1 of 1