Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)

Go down 
+12
DoZer
edward
moggd
DeafNala
Da Bank
mudboy
VonHagel
Kiwi
The ISH
Lord GreyWolf
Mordheimer
Laney
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Empty
PostSubject: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 3:16 am

Hi All,

I'm thinking about creating a whole SM squad in 'truescale' in anticipation of the SMCS and as a teaser thought I'd share my previous two efforts with you. One you may have seen on the Renegades thread (the Pox Angel) based on terminator legs and arms and an assault marines body (with a very cool maxmini head - which looks like iron armour) and the other is a Primarch scale model, based on extending a grey knight terminator body and lots of green stuff - he was intend to be one of the lost Primarchs and the leader of an exiled legion called the Black Lions (he was going to be my excuse for creating a space marine army using the Chaos Marine Book). The Blue Guy is a normal marine I painted for a Create your own Chapter competition, which I ended up missing anyway! (The idea was to use only shades of blue, grey and metallic silver and see what a limited palette could do)

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6642
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6643
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6644
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6645

The bones making the archway, steps and 'teeth' on the Primarch model are real (rabbit and weasel), my school was going to throw them out and wondered if anyone had need of them - so now my bits box has a separate bones section! Skull

What I plan to do...

My intention (though it may not come to anything) is to use terminator legs and arms, combined with assault marine bodies to create the overall scale and use normal scale heads and weapons. The idea being to create models that look like the pic below, but a bit taller.
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Normal10

Cheers Laney cheers (Any ideas always welcome)
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 4:32 am

I feel pathetically small... your experiments are better than my best work! WOW! It is so cool to be in the presence of greatness!

Please, keep us posted... I will definitely follow your lead and make some 'true scale' Space Marines. Thanks for posting... any more pics? HA! I have no shame!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:34 am

Mordheimer wrote:
I feel pathetically small... your experiments are better than my best work! WOW! It is so cool to be in the presence of greatness!

Please, keep us posted... I will definitely follow your lead and make some 'true scale' Space Marines. Thanks for posting... any more pics? HA! I have no shame!

@ Mord: we should start a club you can be the president I'll be the VP and we can share in our inadequacies....

@ 02laney: dam that blue space marine is dam FINE!!!!!
like the other two but he's my fav....

how did you do the blue metallic look? please inspire me.... [I wonder Mord can we download some of his painting skills...I'm sure he'll be ok after a partial lobotomy...well 50:50... ummm ok maybe 30:70 he'll be the same.]

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 8:23 am

Amazing stuff, and I might just have to go and "true scale" a suad myself... a few questions:

How much effort goes into bulking up of the Assault Marine torso in order to fit the Terminator legs? Also, why assault torsos, would tactical torsos work?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 9:20 am

Thanks Guys Very Happy ,

@LGW: Your work on the Orks is superb and it's great that we all share our projects and creativity cheers . About the Blue guy - Metallics were done by overbrushing boltgun metal on black undercoat, overbrushing again with chainmail, thin wash of asurmen blue and mithril silver highlight. The dark blue armour, was necron abyss, thick highlight of mordian (i think) blue and then a thinner final highlight of astronomicon grey. Helmet, backpack and cloth started as astronomicon grey with asurmen blue wash and then astronomicon tidying up leaving the blue in the recesses. The rest is various different shades of GW greys, and blues (you name I used it!). The cloak was ice blue with successive coats of asurmen blue till I liked it.

@Mordheimer: It's your work and the other guys on Death Squads Death Squads that has got me thinking about doing these things (If it was just 40k, I'd still be building slightly soulless armies of nobodys' like everyone else out there). So Cheers. And anyway I've seen your OSL work on the Mordheim sign (superb), the Amparor on the Golden Throne (inspired) and the orange guns on your grots (genius), not to mention the Commissar you did for Da Bank (I've been trying to get a copy of that base figure since I saw that). So no false modesty please! Just Kidding Smile

@The ISH: I'm going to use assault marine torsos because they are slightly bulkier than tactical marines due to the strapping (It also makes greenstuffing the gaps easier and creates a kind of Mk 6 Corvus armour look). Pretty easy to do with basic GS skills - just keep it smooth (alot is obscured byt he backpack anyway). You could use tactical bodies - but I would go for the corvus type or the plain fronts with the single skull (as you will obscure everything with GS anyway). Connecting to the Terminator bodies is easy just glue on and then hide the additional belt with GS - this provides additional height and bulk to the marine - I'll show more once I've got the bits.

Cheers Laney cheers (More pics soon Mord)
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 11:40 am

MORE PICS!!! Hahaha....

I( got a 'creative tip' for you. It is impossible to photograph, but take a look at my ForgeWorld Trygon... the 'lost' post... hehehehe... anyways, he has a translucent, shiny and sparkly effect on the carapace. BY ACCIDENT... sloppy brush cleaning habits, I mixed some copper paint with some brown ink... the effect was the same, until it dried. It looks like that paint that changes color depending on the angle you look at it. Shocked I tried it with gold and green wash for a Dark Angels Champion I did long ago... when I was young and stupid... now I'm old and stupid. HA!

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Company%20Champion%20-%20View%2004

PS: Puke and to think I used to like that green turd! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Nice Trygon he's a bit of a big beast - did you gloss varnish the back plates as well? GW used to do a whole load of coloured metallics - like purple - maybe this is a way to do it for yourself). I've only ever painted one tyranid - it was a single termagaunt for a lad who was in my school club (he was stepping/running over a wall, which was littered with ultramarine body parts at the base.

Anyway - I've thought about the truescaling and have decided to go with my heart and build a 5 man mixed squad of Blood Angels. To do this I have bought (or am bidding for on ebay)...

4 assault marine torsos (I've got a spare in my bits box) (ebay - bought)
5 sets of terminator legs (ebay - bidding)
Forgeworlds superb blood angels terminator shoulder pads (of which I shall use the blood angels chapter icons and one crux terminatus for the sergeant)
1 death company boxed set (I wanted to buy the sanguinary guard as well - but I just don't have the cash at the moment)
5 sets of normal blank terminator shoulder pads (ebay - bidding)

As many spare arms and other bits I can dig out of my bits box (or rip off other unfinished models!)

I'm also going to include several chapter serfs/servitors as support staff (I know the SMCS is still early days so I am guessing - and if they don't appear on the roster no big deal) bounce

The basic squad will look something like this...
1 Sergeant with power weapon (maybe fist) and bolt pistol/bolter
1 Death Company painted marine with bolt pistol and chainsword (possibly with jump pack - I've not seen any truescaled assault marines - so I don't know if it will work)
1 Tactical Marine (bolter)
1 Assault Marine (plasma pistol, chainsword and jump pack - though I may use a hand flamer because they look very cool)
1 Special Weapon Marine (plasma gun or flamer)

Technical Servitor
Heavy Weapon Servitor
Chapter Serfs (2) - Not sure what these guys will look like yet

Pics...!
A cheeky unrelated pic - this was my conversion of Chapter Master Sarpedon of the Soul Drinkers Books. I sold the whole army apart from 5 assault terminators and 5 unfinished sternguard. I'd only been back to painting a few months (after 11 years off!) when I made this so I'm quite proud of it.
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_5811

The first draft of the primarch model and what it ended up as...
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_4910
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_5926

A big weapon servitor (no reason - but you did ask for pics!)
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6350

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 3:50 pm

nice...

so true to scale you men as they would appear in comparison to an IG?

I might be tempted to try this as I haven't done anything like it before...

any tips and pointers or tutorials would be helpful...

Might have to check out ebay again and see what I can find [hope I don't bid on any of your stuff....no wait I won't bid on panzy BA's... LOL.... mine will be Space wolves for obvious reasons]

Thx for the pics and great painting 02laney keep them coming...

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 4:10 pm

02laney wrote:
Nice Trygon he's a bit of a big beast - did you gloss varnish the back plates as well?
Nope... no gloss! That is part of the effect! HA!

Great pictures man!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 12:28 am

Fantastic painting Very Happy .
If you had entered the design a chapter thing my money would have definitely have been on that blue guy.

It will be interesting to see how your true scale space marines turn out space marines have always seemed to small to me.

@ LGW I'd join that club!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Right - nothing major to report so far - due to the rubbishness of GW at delivering things. I ordered Death Company for pick up from the local GW store (which has no blood angels - apart from a couple of Gabriel Seth models) over a week ago. Appparently, they have a new manager coming in and will be shut for the whole of next week as well! So I've reordered the DC and the Sanguinary Guard for blood angel parts to be delivered to my house (maybe I'll finally get my hands on them!).

Assault marine bodies have arrived
Forgeworld shoulder pads are here

Waiting on the arrival of some Black Reach terminators (a 1/3 of the price of the terminator box set).

I'm considering magnetising the backpacks to swap in jump packs when/if needed. I may also magnetise the arms for different weapons.

The chapter serfs are sorted (got a great idea for these - but I'm not telling you yet!)

Ta Laney
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Right GW have finally got their finger out and my Sanguinary Guard and Death Company sets have arrived (still got to pick up the 'extra' DC set that I have paid for in store - might swap it for some assault terminators - to build more of these truescale guys).

So I have started to plan out what my Veteran Sergeant Nathanael will look like. I am widening the backpacks and bulking out the body. I chose to use the assault marine back (for bulk) and the sanguinary guard front (for BA iconography). Anyway here are a couple of pics with a regular blood angel (he's a WIP paintjob too) - please excuse the copious use of white tack to hold it together...
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6744
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6745
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6743
Parts used...
Marine backpack with plastic tubing spacers
Assault marine and sanguinary guard (SG) body with plastic tubing spacer
AOBR Terminator legs (chopped off body)
Right arm: Terminator arm, glaive encarmine (SG), Forgeworld terminator sergeant shoulder pad
Left arm: Chaos terminator lord arm, FW terminator honours shoulder pad, angelus boltgun (SG)
Head: SG
Equipment: DC
Loin cloth - missing off pics - terminator

He may also have a marine helmet hanging off his belt loop and other sundries when done. I also plan on basing each of the marines on their own 'stone' - possibly marble, blood angel icon

Next job - Greenstuff and Greystuff!

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:59 pm

affraid affraid OMG!!!!! affraid affraid

that is fraking AWESOME!!!!!

dam I wish I could paint like you.... you sure you would consider doing a mind meld or brain transfer?? be only for a short time.. really I promise...

DAM FINE work I am really jealous....

I'll go and sulk now.... Sad Shocked pale Crying or Very sad

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Some WIP of my sergeant - the rough grey stuffing is done (just needs some tidying up). I filled the legs, body and backpack and then stuck the whole thing together, filling where needed on the other parts and hiding the rubbish GS work on the backpack with some modelling chain. I have had the idea to cast more parts in the future to then be able to mix and match the bodies, backpacks, arms and legs to create a wider number of models - but only with generic parts and then adorn them with DC and Sanguinary guard icons.

First pics legs GS this morning...
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6746
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6747

Finished rough GS and construction this evening...
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6748
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6749
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6750
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6751
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6752

Feedback always welcome
Cheers Laney cheers

EDIT: @ LGW: Always nice to know you're appreciated. Now I just want to do this guys paintjob properly so I can do him justice!
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 pm

beautiful work....

amazing stuff this squad is going to be a work of art when your done with it....you got to be careful or LGW GW will steal them...

keep the pics coming

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 6:27 pm

You are one crazy guy! That is VERY cool! Has it been hard to do? You make it look easy!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:51 am

@ Mordheimer: It was actually easier than it looks, because you are using the original model as a framework for the grey stuff (I used this because its less sticky and has a faster cure time than green stuff - but GS gives a smoother finish - so I might use both for the next one). I've also built the BA chapter symbol for the base. Just need to get some resin for casting and cinematic effects from armorcast. The assault marine torso makes it easier - along with bulkierchest pieces. I will create a tutorial at some point if it works out well. I am going to paint this one though before I build the next one - Brother Mordecai - Death Company.

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 am

That's it, I have had enough out of you...! Laughing

I just placed a special order at my FLGS for a box of vanilla Tactical Marines, vanilla Terminators, Green Stuff, and (via the interweb) some Terminator shulders from Scribor.

I figured out last night that, with decent conversions and a willing opponent, I can field a wholly legal, bog standard ten-marine "tactical squad" with a sergeant, flamer, and heavy bolter as a proper 1,000 Point army! Its like the old "Movie Marines" army list, but less cheat-y.

Using the Space Wolves codex, and the "Wolf-Wing" rule from Logan Grimnar, I can put together a five-man squad and a four-man squad joined by Logan, like so:

Quote :

Veteran Sergeant Loghain the Grim (AKA Logan Grimnar) 275 Points
with Power Axe (The Axe Morkai), Boltgun (Storm Bolter), etc.

Brother Dackha (AKA Wolf Guard Terminator) 63 Points
with Combat Knife (Power Weapon) and Heavy Bolter (Assault Cannon)

Brother Baker (AKA Wolf Guard Terminator) 38 Points
with Combat Knife (Power Weapon) and Flamer (Combi-Flamer)

Seven Battle-Brothers (AKA Wolf Guard Terminator) 33 Points ea.; 231 Points
with Combat Knife (Power Weapon) and Boltgun (Storm Bolter)

Attach a pair of fire-support Dreadnoughts, and appropriate drop pods for every unit, and I should have a proper 1,000 Point army!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am

Great Job! Join me in the wonders of truescale! Very Happy I look forward to see what you come up with. Are you just using the space wolf rules and creating a different chapter or going for a whole new chapter? bounce

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 am

I'm going to use the Space Wolf rules, but create my own chapter. I've been looking for an excuse to use Scribor's space lion shoulder pads. I figure, if they're my own chapter I can always argue to the really anal players that my chaper's tactical dreadnought armor is just of a highly unique pattern. Just Kidding

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Lion_shoulderpads

I'm a little nervous, since I have NEVER scuplted before, only ever using GS to plug a few gaps way back in the 1990s when I turned my Wood Elf Forest Dragon (the onld twisty one) into a wingless, limbless, giant snake. The results were... less than pleasant.

Still, I have quite the reputation in local circles as a master of conversions, using only plastics, pewters, and an insane willingness to use bitz or whole models from outside the standard gaming ranges (One Cryx Liche has wound up as part of five Necron Lords!) so scuplting is something I want to learn to do. Why not jump in with both feet?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 5:36 pm

YEAY! Make sure to start your thread, so we can follow your progress! GO GET 'em ISH!!!
Back to top Go down
VonHagel

VonHagel

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Sounds Awesome Ish, been making secret notes regarding those lion shoulders as well, but knowing me, it's reserved for a long time down the road, if ever!

And Great job on the new marine Laney, just saw him now, it's going to be marvellous I tell you!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 3:26 am

@ VonHagel: Thanks for the feedback, I've made some progress on the base for him now. I too have been looking at those lion shoulder pads from scibor they are awesome (shame about those lion helmets sucking so much!). Maybe if I ever look into a dark angel successor I might get those (and the awesome Lion El'Jonson, 'lion knight' model that Kabuki did a while ago - I have the Sanguinius version 'angel knight' - but its about $45 for one mini!).

Check out the shoulder pads that maxmini produce, which are terminator scale - they would be superb for preheresy truescale marines.
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Largep10

Here are some WIP of the Death Company Marine Mordecai - I didn't get any painitng done on the sergeant, but i did create and mould a base for them (I intend to cast the base - so they all have the same blood angel symbol (and maybe create a smaller one for 'normal' sized marine too). I used the wings off a Sanguinary Guard model and grey stuff.
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6815
I've extended the chainsword blade and made it with two edges to bulk it up. The left shoulder pad is made from a normal terminator pad, with a BA wing and purity seal - the edges of the shoulder pad were made from thin cured strips of grey stuff (much easier than using plasticard)
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6813
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6814
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6753

Cheers Laney cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 8:26 am

WOWOWWOWOWOOWOW!!!

I need to do a true-scale Marine... that looks amazing!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 2:30 am

A couple more pics (that's all your getting - my wife has filled the camera up (and its more than my life is worth to delete any of those pics to make room for hobby ones! Evil or Very Mad )

But here are three...
My first ever attempt at resin moulding a base (not perfect - but I know where I went wrong). A blood angels chapter serf - based on the great blood angels codex picture and the first coat on my blood angels sergeant - I'm trying some simple NMM on him - no metallics (I might as well push the envelope a little).
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6816
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6817
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) Img_6818

The grey stuff work is very rough and built over an 'expert' metal armature from reaper miniatures - with all the bits coming from either the DC or sanguinary guard sets - the 'iron halo' is off the AOBR terminator sergeant. He is intended as a test model for a smoother effort - but cam out better than I thought! Smile

Love feedback
Laney bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Painting & Modeling-
Jump to: