Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)

Go down 
+12
DoZer
edward
moggd
DeafNala
Da Bank
mudboy
VonHagel
Kiwi
The ISH
Lord GreyWolf
Mordheimer
Laney
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DoZer

DoZer

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:44 am

I love that old Termie-Capt Model. I have one of my own, sitting in a box somewhere.

Beautiful Paint job!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am

Thanks for hte feedback. He is nicely posed - a bit short though compared to other terminators (partly the pose). I got given him, with a box full of other minis, after careful paint stripping it only took me a year to start painting him! I'll get the banner icon finished soon and he is then destined for a display cabinet.

More work on true truescale coming - including some interesting ideas (hopefully) on traitor marines - Emperor's Children, Death Guard (gonna have to be white), World Eaters and Thousand Sons (or at least their respective chaos marks) for a future chaos cult (or two). The Blood Angels haven't been shelved - in fact I intend to work on them after I finish posting - GS filling is just sooo boring!

Laney
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 am

Are you going to try the pre-heresy paint schemes? I'd love to see the white and blue World Eaters, as well as the off-white for the Death Guard.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am

I might just give it a go - but I'm not sure about the freehand on the world eater symbol!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:54 pm

I LOVE the power sword!...LOOKIN' GOOD! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks - he just needs a quick brush and he'll be done (give it a year or so!). The idea of doing one of each of the major marks got me getting the remnants of my modelling putty out last night and this is the beginning of a tzeentch (possibly thousand son) sorcerer in truescale (I may just have to buy a backpack!)

Anyway here he is... the GS is very rough - I am probably going to smooth over with greystuff and then hide all the bad bits with a swirling cloak

Components used so far... head - chaos knight, body - sanguinary guard, loin cloth - chaos terminator lord, legs - terminator (I trimmed of the hip guards on him to make the armour look more authentically 'Power' - more work - but I'm pleased with the result so far.

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6925
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6926
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6927
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6928

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Here's the tzeentchian sorcerer taken a bit further - the cloak is scratch built - using an aluminium mesh folded into shape (I'm going to recoat the cloak with a smooth cover of grey stuff to finish it).

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6929
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6930
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6931
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6932

The staff is based on an Adeptus Custodes staff (taken from the battle on Terra itself - during the Horus Heresy) and the shield/storm shield is based on a normal storm shield hand part and a chaos knight shield (I liked the librarianesque front - horned skull).

Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm

DUDE! You are getting out of hand! I think we need you to start quoting prices for commisions... WOW! That is some kick-ass work. Is the cape going to be out of Guardsmen skin? LOL! AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 pm

that is one evil looking chaos marine
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Cheers for the positives. I was fortunate to have all the right bits in the box at the time.

@ Mordheimer - - that is a great idea - all i'd need to do is sculpt a few howling faces on the cape and stick some zombie hands hanging off it and hey presto! a genuine guardskin cloak!

I also want a big flaming chaos icon floating above him - or is that too much?

I've made a bit more progress since that post - but I'll wait until the modelling is done before I post pics of him again - I have made the shoulder guards with those cool neck guard bits and moulded flame stuff on the pads - plus put an smoothish coat on the outer side of the cloak.

More to come - this thread is almost as much fun for me as the Varangians (which I will officially complete this Summer and post individual pics of)

Laney
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:02 pm

screamin faces would be awesome

what about scuplting faces on his shoulder pads

i read about that on the GW site
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:03 pm

I'll have to look at that sounds cool.

Ta Laney
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:04 pm

what sorta chaos marine is your guy
undivided? cos he looks sorta khornate to me
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 pm

I was going for a tzeentch sorcerer (possibly a different looking thousand son) - but he could be a world eater - though the flames I just sculpted on his shoulder pads might not work so well Smile .

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 4:09 pm

cool tzeentechs my fav chaos god he's the very idea of chaos to me ie constantly changing

Last edited by edward on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 am

affraid Whoa!
Excellent painting on the ultra marine that power sword looks great.
That chaos guy is amazing, great G.S work and a very cool pose, definitely do the flayed skin cloak that would look scary cool.
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 am

Great idea using mesh as a basis for the cloak! I might borrow that idea someday!
How thick is that mesh? 1mm?
Do you remember where you aquired the mesh?

Very good modelling and painting in general! Keep us updated please!

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 3:49 am

@ Citizen Khaine: Thanks for the feedback. I picked up the mesh from a local modelling shop in the UK (radio controlled cars, planes, airfix and such). The thickness is about 1mm and its expanded aluminium mesh 5" by 12" sheet (I think its used for patching up holes in glass fibres constructions). The company that made it was K and S Engineering in Chicago. Hope this helps!

I wasn't going to post any more pics but I mcouldn't resist the flaming guardskin cloak (still a WIP)...
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6933
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6934
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6935
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6936
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6937
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6938

Ta Laney
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 am

Wow, cloak and shoulder patch with the screaming faces are awesome, pure evil!!! Twisted Evil

Great work, you're getting better and better with the putty!

(Thanks also for the hint with the mesh, will try to aquire some)

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 am

That is one NASTY looking Dude...why do the Chaos Lads look SO MUCH COOLER than their Loyalist Brethren? Keep up the FINE WORK...I need a reason to get up in the morning.. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 pm

Cheers Guys!

Here he is (still without a name and still officially a WIP)... Basing needs doing and then a cool paint job - I'm thinking of nicking some ideas from the daemon prince (crackly purples and pale blues) in white dwarf this month or an article I saw on the GW website about a reaver titan (beaten bronze).

Anyway here is a favoured son of the changer of ways...

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6939
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6940
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6941
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6942
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6943
Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 Img_6944

What do you reckon?
Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Great work, looks awesome! The hands on the cloak were a good addition!

Just a minor point: is it too late to modify the plastic loin cloth thing?
After all the effort you took with the cloak that detail looks a bit static.
Don't want to talk you into it though, it really is a magnificent model as it is right now!!!

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 8:37 pm

omfg that is one awesome model laney!!!!

what about a sinister sounding name...severus etc
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 2:56 am

@ Citizen Khaine: I had thought about that when I took the pictures and even thought of fluffy ways to explain it away... The cloak being a living mass of lost souls, twisting in the flames of the immaterium (and all that), while the loin cloth was made of some armoured flexible metal (denser). However, I'd probasbly have to explain that to anyone with a keen eye for detail. I'll consider it - but I'm desperate to get paint on him!

@ Edward: The GS is rougher than I would like - but I'm improving - I'm goping to try using tough rubber colour shapers for large smooth parts rather than taht metal tools I've currenly got (smooth and sharp inorganic shapes are the hardest - but practice makes perfect - i wonder if they do training on sculpting at GW - I'd personally be willing to pay). Not even thought about a name yet (Severus hmm...)

Anyway Thanks

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 7:00 am

The rubber tools are really good for getting smooth surfaces, but not good for sculpting details. I use a normal metal shaper for the sculpting, then when the putty has almost cured, I "polish" the surfaces with a silicone tool (Clay Shaper) by working over the flat parts applying some pressure (can't explain it better).

Works nicely, the timing is crucial though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)   Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not) - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maybe the start of a truescale project (or not)
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next