Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! Empty
PostSubject: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:26 am

Thursday night we managed to get together and stress test some Squads! I played The Eye Pokers (Catachans) and Andy played KFC (Kroots). Here is our battle report. We wanted to see how the Kroot would react versus another Close Combat oriented Squad. We had 700 credits, nothing special, to make the Squad. I use my 'basic' Squad, including the Medic (although with no post-game event is useless), one flame thrower and my Ogryn. Da Bank had Stalkers (infiltrators), a Head Hunter (we wanted to see the spit!), Kroot Hounds and a Shaman (test the new powers) among Carnivores and other units. No Vultures (no flight testing)Sorry for the pictures; I took them with my cell phone...

================================== Aquila ==================================

The Eye Pokers got an Intelligence Report indicating that a Kroot Warpsphere had just dropped some Kroot on the planet,
so several Squads had been sent to eliminate the Xenos. The Catachans came from the ruined city....
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC01

... while the Kroot stalked from within the deep jungle.
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC02

In case you missed the Kroot... they are hard to spot on the table!
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC03

Enjoying the protection of The Emperor, and the Area Terrain that the jungled offered, the Catachans moved almost carelessly forward.
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC04

Suddenly, on the east flank the Stalkers showed up! Running forward, they risked to be in the open for a moment.
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC05

The Eye Pokers are cunning, and were waiting for the pseudo-birds...
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC06

... an Infantryman moved up (Safe Climbed and open fire, while others moved forward and did the same.
Both Stalkers dropped (OOA) in an instant. Yes... I rolled 5 and 6 for almost all my rolls! Lucky!
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC07

Meanwhile, Captain Barrel moved into position to wait for their prey.
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC08

The Kroot split, to try and out manouver the Catachans.
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC09

In an strange move, most of the Catachans moved near some ruins... which offer minimal protection. Suddenly the Shaman
raised his Staff and chanted! Out of the ground, vegetation started to grow heretically fast! The ruins were
Reclaimed by Nature, and now the Kroot were protected by deep jungle vegetation. This power turns any terrain feature
(approximately the size of 2 Ordinance Templates) into Area Terrain - vegetation. Kroot, who also enjoy +1 Cover Save on
vegetation now had a 5+ Cover Save, and the Hounds were 9 to 10" away... to far for the Catachans to Charge, but not for them to initiate the attack!
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC10

The Kroot eyes could spot the Catachans.. can you?
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC11

Now, in an unheard move across the 40k Universe... the Catachans moved BACK! GASP! The horror... the humiliation...
the cowardice! The Recruit was used as bait, while the Officers waited for the counter attack!
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC12

At the same time, 1/3 of the Catachan force on the east moved to outflank the filthy Xenos!
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC13

The Kroot on the west bank (not Gaza!) and the Infantryman shot one of them dead (OOA). The survivors shot back, and avenged
his comrade and killed their bold attacker (OOA)...
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC14

... but his death was already determined as his duty! His sacrifice allowed the forward move... and the use of a "non-scary" Flamer,
the Kroot got engulf in flames and one of them cringed in pain (KD)!
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC15

Captain Barrel unleashed the power of his Hellpistol, and sned the 2nd Kroot Carnivore DOWN to his doom (Stun).
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC16

The Kroot froze on their tracks, rather than sending the Hounds forward... contemplating retreat. The Catachans moved a little closer and
unleashed the Emperor's Fury, injuring (KD) one of the forward Hounds. The Kroot plan was falling apart... on the west back, death was
imminent for the injured Kroot and the center flank could no longer send the diversionary force forward.
Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! GameEyePokersvsKFC17

The Catachans had the obvious advantage.... and the Kroot saw the wisdom of escaping (rout) and fight another day.

VICTORY FOR THE EYE POKERS!

================================== Aquila ==================================

We figure out several rules that need clarification, like it should be SPECIFIC that Infiltrators can Hide (if the conditions are met), and we are discussing re-working Routing. The current rule just forced an issue in a VERY big light, and we want to give more control to the players. We also took note on several of the Shaman's Powers, polishing the wording. We did tested some basic rules... but I have yet to see the true power of the Kroot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 9:23 am

It was a good game even though I rushed my two stalkers to get shot up like a junkie with a fresh needle. Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! 411128

I should have stayed back and waited. My fault.

I have a harder time writting up battle reports for Alien models as compared to Imperial Guard.

As Mordheimer noted a few things came out in playing that we had "missed' as there are a zillion other things everyone is working on. Major positives all around as this is what makes the game better.

Another thing to note to all, is that while we try to cover everything it may not be possible so work it out with your group and or roll for it. I challenge anyone who is at an impasse to look at if from the other point of view and come up with a solution.

Mordheimer and I did this he tried talking me into something but then I took it from his point (being the affected unit) and we went back and forth (in a positive manner) and came up with a solution. This is really cool as the creative juices are following as everyone is trying to solve the problem on an equial ground. This is what we want from our game.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 9:28 am

Agree! We talked about the Hiding and Infiltration... another thing that 'we knew' about it, but not in the rules, as well as the Routing. The discussion and debate (pros and cons) forced us (and it tricked down to others) to revisit the reasons of Routing. The proposed solutions can only change the game for the better!

I encourage everyone to do the same... if you find something missing or unclear on TLRB, work a 'solution' out for the moment, and the post the information. We can then explain why it was written in a certain manner or take your suggestion for consideration and test it (very likely) which at the very least can show an alternative. If it is best, we will modify the rules and make it the new gold standard!
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 am

ouch! i think the lost of stalkers (one of the most powerful guys on the field) was decisive. And i won't agree tha flamers are not scary! Just Kidding
it's also a little weird as both CC armies mostly Rifle each other Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 2:19 pm

LOL, it was my intent to get them in to HTH and they were killed at the beginning of turn two.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, I do got lucky taking the Stalkers down.

It is to note that Catachans Officers are better at Close Combat... but the Recruits are as good as Cadians shooting. The strategy I have devised is to move SLOWLY and Hiding... avoids getting shot. The guy I lost was when the Kroot were moving in for Close Combat (that may as well shot!)... I did the same, and got the uppor hand (again... dumb luck!)

The Flamers are NOT meant to be scary as in 'OHHH MY GOD! That guy has a Flamer!!!' but as in 'Ohh crap, that guys has a Flamer and I got everyone packed in!' I shot 2 enemies with the Flamer and got one KD... not deadly... but good enough to have my Officer unleash his attacks on one fighter (Stun)! Next Turn, the KD guy was ~5" away, and he could not Run or Charge... who do you think would get the Charge (ME!)... that guy was dead. The Other one was Stun, so I could send the Recruit to finish him. The Flamer is a strategic weapon.. changes things. I have been attacked with FIVE Flamers... it gets scary!

Stalkers were going to be an issue if they arrived in Close Combat... but I had a Recruit in front blocking passage (he would be the target) and 1 Recruit, 1 Officer and 1 Ogryn waiting for them. Without the Vicious Charge, I fear them not. I would have lost some guys... but those Stalkers were dead.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:03 am

Absolutely fantastic!
Great terrain, two very nice looking squads, and great pics a perfect battle report.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 7:45 am

We have more terrain but I have been to lazy to set it up. I even brought some from home but last night but left it in the car.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Now this is a battle in which I can support the valiant Catachan of the Eye Pokers, brave warriors of the Imperium Aquila . Boo! to the horrible xeno Kroot!

Great battle report - love the detail.

As long as you don't fight the urban fighters - I'll support you all the way Mordheimer! Very Happy

Cheers
Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:27 pm

The urban fighters will make their way back but after the Kroot and after the Death Korp.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:31 pm

You better support me... you beef jerky lover! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!   Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catachans vs. Kroot (Stress Test) - PIC HEAVY!
Page 1 of 1