Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)

Go down 
+3
Da Bank
mudboy
Mordheimer
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)   Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 11:42 am

Nice update!
The effect on the statue looks very interesting! How did you achieve that?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)   Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks for your kind comments. It was a combination of 1% intention, 1% effort and 98% dumb luck! HA!

I wanted to give the statue a tactile AND visual aspect, to imitate granite stone. To me, the sculpture should be rough stone (like granite), rather than smooth stone (like marble.) I went to the hardware store (I guess you could find them on arts & crafts store) and got a 'stone texture' spray paint. It is VERY weird. Not this one, but the idea is the same. This type of paint (LINK) kindda 'spits' textured components. The one I got was VERY coarse... I should have gotten one with smaller grain.

First, I primed the model black. Then I covered the bolter with tight plastic. I gave several LIGHT coats of the textured paint... light so the details were not obscured (the size of the grain took care of that! Just Kidding) After 24 hours, I inked the statue with brown wash. After it dried (24 hours) some drybrushing layers it with greys, bone white & black was in order. The final touch was a VERY light coat of textured paint. Then I proceeded to paint the bolter with golds and metallics.

In retrospect, if I used a smaller grain I could had skipped the dry-brushing. I have a 2nd Inquisitor model (Artemis) which I plan to make a statue using smaller grain. If I like it better, I use that... if not, I will make a tower and sell on eBay. Wink
Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 Makeitstone

Last edited by Mordheimer on Fri May 27, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)   Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 3:23 pm

dwi wrote:
Or he could take a crap. Ha! chaos crap! now that would be a killer stain on the walls! Two pukes to that! Puke Puke

Aquila dwi Aquila

HAHA I was rolling off my chair on that one!!

Looking great! Can't wait to shoot some loyalists off the top of that thing!!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)   Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 7:38 am

Ok thanks, I'm going to have one of those spraycans then! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)   Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 8:23 am

One cool thing about the cans is that the cap has the color & texture that the spray should give... my advice? Find the finest grain. I made the mistake of thinking it was only color. I will get another can with finer grain and test with several models of different sizes. Will post pics on a new thread! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)   Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Imperial City, Mike-lopolis - WIP (Pic Heavy!)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2