Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Army List Feedback

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The ISH

The ISH

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 am

I haven't played but one or two game of WH40K since third edition. Several months back I sold 90% of my war games collection of twenty-five years. However, I still enjoy the game, and it looks like I'll be getting a new job soon which will mean mkore time to play and some money with which to collect a new army. I'm thinking Adeptus Arbites. I love their fluff, their look, and the chance to do a lot of converting. Plus, having a non-marine human army without having too collect too large of a force.

This list uses Codex WItch Hunters, but is meant to reflect a small army of Adeptus Arbites, rather than the forces of the Inquisition. The army is incredibly short-range shooting focused, which is something one doesn't see much in 40K these days, and I think they should prove effective enough at the task...

The primary squads are the two ten-man units of Adeptus Arbites (Inq. Stormtroopers using the rule to swap hellgun and targeter for shotguns), backed by preist and inquisitor. This unit gets nine shotgun shots, two grenade launcher shots, and an inferno pistol shot during the shooting phase; in close combat, its got two eviscerators and two-swings of the power-weapon. The unit re-rolls any failed to-hit close combat attacks. Not too shaby, me thinks.

The Inquisitor-Lord and his retinue are, essentially, just a means of delivering, eight power weapons and six 4+ invulnerable saves; I'm going to get
four attacks at WS 5, ten at WS 4, and four at WS 3... not counting charge bonus. (The Chirgeons add four non-power weapon WS3 attacks, just for giggles...) This squad has lousy shooting, with only four laspistols and the inferno pistol, but then again, they have a Land Raider to handle shooting.

The Vindicare Assassin are included to help deal with enemy leaders, power fists, kustom force fields, and (maybe) monsterous creatures; A lot of players prefer the close-combat assassins, but, I've pretty much devouted my Inquisitor Lord to melee duties. His exitus rifle basically means that in a six turn game, I can guarantee 4-6 dead enemy models... I find he has more psychological value than game-play value, and he's pretty dang effective in game. Plus, a lone roof-top sniper is just too perfect for the Arbites theme.

The melta-torpedo... yeah... doesn't really fit the Arbites theme, is rather random, and is potentially useless or even dangerous to my own forces. That said, none of the other heavy support choices really fit the theme and I don't have to purchase any model to represent it! There are also a shockign number of tank-heavy Imperial Guard in my neck of the woods (as everywhere) so if the scatter dice gods are kind to me, the eighty points spent here could easily be made up several times over.

Witch-Hunters / Adeptus Arbites List
>> 1,500 Points Total <<
  • HQ 1/2
  • Troops 3/6
  • Elite 3/3
  • Fast Attack 0/3
  • Hvy Support 1/3

Supression Squad Alfa [ 405 Points Total]
Adeptus Arbites (10 Men @ 10 pts. ea. = 100 Base) 254 Points
+ All w/ Shotguns (0), 2x Grenade Launchers (20)
+ Veteran (10), Eviscerator (25),
+ Chimera (70), Turret-Hvy. Bolter (10), Hull-Flamer (5), Dozer (5), Armor (5), Smoke (3), Light (1)

joined by Inquisitor 75 Points
+ Inferno Pistol (15), Carapace Armor (5), Rosarius (25), Pwr Weapon (10)

joined by Priest 76 Points
+ Eviscerator (25), Carapace Armor (5), Purity Seals (5), Shotgun (1)

Supression Squad Bravo [ 405 Points Total]
+ All w/ Shotguns (0), 2x Grenade Launchers (20)
+ Veteran (10), Eviscerator (25),
+ Chimera (70), Turret-Hvy. Bolter (10), Hull-Flamer (5), Dozer (5), Armor (5), Smoke (3), Light (1)

joined by Inquisitor 75 Points
+ Inferno Pistol (15), Carapace Armor (5), Rosarius (25), Pwr Weapon (10)

joined by Priest 76 Points
+ Eviscerator (25), Carapace Armor (5), Purity Seals (5), Shotgun (1)

Vindicare Assassin (Officio Assassinorum Operative) 110 Points

Orbital Strike (Melta Torpedo) 80 Points
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:25 am

Quote :

The primary squads are the two ten-man units of Adeptus Arbites (Inq. Stormtroopers using the rule to swap hellgun and targeter for shotguns), backed by preist and inquisitor. This unit gets nine shotgun shots, two grenade launcher shots, and an inferno pistol shot during the shooting phase; in close combat, its got two eviscerators and two-swings of the power-weapon. The unit re-rolls any failed to-hit close combat attacks. Not too shaby, me thinks.
The upgrade for Inq. Stormtroopers to allow them to use a shotgun is 20 points, AND it only allows one of the troopers to become a veteran, which means that only one person has access to the shotgun.

Things to think about when facing the newer edition armies (like Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Nids, etc....). You will either have to penetrate armor to get at squads, or you will need MASS amounts of firepower before you yourself will get charged. The list as is written is primarily a close combat army, which when you have a max 4+ save......it is not the place you want to be. You severely lack in anti-tank, and are mediocre when facing hordes. With the current addition of Witch Hunters (or Daemonhunters for that matter) you will want to play a fluid gunline army. Also keep in mind the Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters codex's have been removed from shelves at all GW stores because they are next up on the updates. Which means a new codex, models, etc..... Also some of your points costs are off

My suggested changes in red

Supression Squad Alfa
+ Hellgun w/targeters (0), 1 x Meltagun (10), 1 x Plasmagun (10)
+ Veteran w/ Combi-Melta (15), Power Weapon (10),

+ Chimera (80), Turret-Multi laser, Hull-H. Bolter (5), Smoke (3)

joined by Inquisitor 111 Points
+ Force Weapon (40), Carapace Armor (5), Rosarius (25), Scourging Psychic Power (20), Bolt Pistol (1)

joined by Priest 70 Points
+ Eviscerator (25), Carapace Armor (5), Laspistol (Free)

Supression Squad Bravo
+ Hellgun w/targeters (0), 1 x Meltagun (10), 1 x Plasmagun (10)
+ Veteran w/ Combi-Melta (15), Power Weapon (10),

+ Chimera (80), Turret-Multi laser, Hull-H. Bolter (5), Smoke (3)

joined by Inquisitor 111 Points
+ Force Weapon (40), Carapace Armor (5), Rosarius (25), Scourging Psychic Power (20), Bolt Pistol (1)

joined by Priest 70 Points
+ Eviscerator (25), Carapace Armor (5), Laspistol (Free)

Vindicare Assassin (Officio Assassinorum Operative) 110 Points

You are also not using the most effective part of the witch hunters codex, which is the faith points used by the Sisters of Battle.

I would suggest instead of using the Witch Hunters codex, to use the Daemonhunters Codex instead. This way you can do exactly what you want to do, but have access to better Elite Choices (Grey Knights come to mind) as well as ally with newer Space Marine armies, or even IG armies.
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Quote :
The upgrade for Inq. Stormtroopers to allow them to use a shotgun is 20 points, AND it only allows one of the troopers to become a veteran, which means that only one person has access to the shotgun.

Where is this from? Not saying your wrong, but according to my copy of Codex: Witch Hunters, page 34: "Storm Trooper Squads may be used to represent squads of Adeptus Arbites, by replacing each trooper's hellgun and targeter with a shotgun at no extra cost. All other options remain unchanged."

Quote :
You are also not using the most effective part of the witch hunters codex, which is the faith points used by the Sisters of Battle.

I played Sisters of Battle for decades, starting with their introduction in White Dwarf during 2nd Edition (although I had few of the Female Adventurers in Powered Armor from RT already in my collection). I know that I'm giving some things up... I just want to put together an Adeptus Arbites army!
Back to top Go down
geekymike

geekymike

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:57 pm

have you thought about running it out of the new guard codex as all veterans?(i think you can do that? im not too sure on my guard codex though)
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:12 pm

are you trying to make a list that can be used in tournaments or just friendly games?

as there is a Adeptus Arbite codex out there. the info in it has been pulled from all the soruces on the web [eg necromunda, WH40k, RPG games etc]

I used it to help write the Adeptus Arbites for Death Squads .....

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Quote :
Where is this from? Not saying your wrong, but according to my copy of Codex: Witch Hunters, page 34: "Storm Trooper Squads may be used to represent squads of Adeptus Arbites, by replacing each trooper's hellgun and targeter with a shotgun at no extra cost. All other options remain unchanged."

I must have missed this part......

I like what you are trying to accomplish. It is not everyday that you see actual fluff 40k armies (this is a secondary reason as to why I rarely play 5th edition 40k anymore.....). Things to remember now though with the advent of newer codex's is they are mainly geared to be in your face within one or two turns. Rarely do you see a static army anymore. Also, you have to be geared to beat the MEQ (Marine EQuivalent, S4 T4 3+ Sv) armies out there (roughly 80% of armies you play will be a MEQ). Which means large amounts of high strength low AP shots, or cause enough wounds to force them to roll a ridiculous amount of saves.

Good luck to you and I hope to see WIP pics of the army soon!
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 7:33 am

In my best Futurama voice: Great news everybody! The local game shop is going to be hosting a COmbat Patrol (aka 40K in 40 Minutes) tournament in a month. This will be a great chance for me to hang out an run some Death Squads demos, but it also gives me an excuse to collect a very small Arbites army!

A quick summary of the format's main rules:
  • 400 Points Total
  • One Troop Choice, mandatory
  • 0-1 HQ CHoice
  • No vehicles with armor above 33

Adeptus Arbites Patrol Group (Storm Troopers) (10 Men @ 10 pts. ea. = 100 Base) 179 Points
+ All w/ Shotguns (0), 2x Grenade Launcher (20)
+ Rhino (50), Dozer (5), Smoke (3), Light (1)

Judge-Marshal & Supression Squad (Inquisitor) 221 Points
+ Plasma Pistol (15), Carapace Armor (5), Power Weapon (10)
+ Five Crusader Henchmen (100)
+ Two Familar Henchmen (6)

The Storm Troopers for Arbites sqap is taken straight from Codex WH; The Judge-Marshal (or whatever his rank should be) is the Elites Choice Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor; The Crusader Henchmen make great Arbites! Supression Shields, Crapace Armor, and a Power Maul come as standard equipment! The Familars will be represented by Cyber-Mastiffs.

I can get this whole thing put together with a single Necromunda Adeptus Arbites boxed gang from GW Mail Order; a half-dozen plastic Cadians with shotguns from MaxiMini; and two Rhinos. Added bonus, these fifteen dudes should be all I need for a Death Squads Arbites squad!

Now, I just need to see if I can free up space on ye olde credite carde (and get them shipped here with time)!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 9:35 am

Nice... print a Death Squads flyer, maybe run a demo... HAVE fun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DoZer

DoZer

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 9:48 am

The ISH wrote:

Judge-Marshal & Supression Squad (Inquisitor) 221 Points
+ Plasma Pistol (15), Carapace Armor (5), Power Weapon (10)
+ Five Crusader Henchmen (100)
+ Two Familar Henchmen (6)

I would consider removing the plasma pistol off of the Judge-Marshall, as you risk a gets hot roll that will remove a wound from him before you even get a chance to get him in hand-to-hand.

Some other things to consider to make the Inquisitor better:
  • Churigen: 1 allows him to ignore the first wound that he takes if it is not an instant death or a CC attack that ignores armor. BUT, if you take two or more you can ignore the first wound EVEN if it is an instant death or CC attack that ignores armor.
  • Add at least a warrior into your squad so you can get a bonus to your WS. This will allow you to at least hit at a 3+ in hand-to-hand against basic troops for SM, CSM, Necrons, Tau battlesuits, SM Veteran squads etc.......
  • Acolytes: Allows you to dump wounds on him if taken on the inquisitor. Also they can take up to 15 points of wargear from the armory. THIS is where you should place the plasma pistol(s).

Also you should probably take an invulnerable save on him as well to give him some more survivability in close combat. Also you are not taken advantage of the fact that the Inquisitor is a psyker. Even if you put a basic power (like Hammerhand), it will exponentially increase the effectiveness of the Inquisitor.
You can save points in your list by removing the Dozer blades from the rhinos. All they allow is a re-roll when entering terrain, which you only fail on a roll of a one on a D6. Not really that effective, and in the years I've been playing 40k, it has been rare when someone has actually had to go into terrain with there vehicles. That will save you 10 points that you can place elsewhere. Just some thoughts!
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am

[*] Plasma Pistol is out; good old Mr. Bolt Pistol is in.
[*] Good point on the Chirgeon, in a small game, one more round of HtH can make the difference. One familar out, one Chirgeon in.
[*] The Crusader henchmen are warriors.
[*] Dozer Blades are just too iconic for the Adeptus Arbites Riot Control look, and I'm pretty strict with my personal WYSIWYG. I'll allow myself a few small items that aren't there to be there (grenades, rebreathers, lasrifle=autogun), but when something is big and vissible (dozer blade, pistol + ccw versus longarm) then I play it strictly WYSIWYG.

So, yeah, dozer blades and searchlights are of little use, but, they have to stay.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 am

The ISH wrote:
So, yeah, dozer [...] little use, but [...] have to stay.
I agree... Dozer is of little use, but we are stuck with him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Sponsored content

Army List Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Re: Army List Feedback   Army List Feedback I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Army List Feedback
Page 1 of 1