Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Board Games in general

Go down 
+3
Stryke
Mordheimer
Lazi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lazi

Lazi

Board Games in general Empty
PostSubject: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:04 pm

You know how it comes. You are sitting, starring on the screen, reading some stuff in Welcome Mat, you see that Mordheimer comes from Puerto Rico and you just raise your head to see the game of the same name sitting on the shelf Smile

So are you so geeky you play other board games? What types of them do you preffer? Any interesting tips for other gamers?

I really can recommend this "Puerto Rico" game. There is almost no randomness in this game, so you have all power over the game... Well, you and your opponents. Each of your turns can make your opponents profit, but when you employ a good strategy, you can let them profit in the way that won't help them when the points are counted. Well, it's quite hard to explain it in foreign language, but perhaps you'll find it on boargamegee.com if you get interested.

So, any idea how can I (we) enrich my (our) ludotheque(s)?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 pm

I played Puerto Rico 3 times (in one day)... LOVED it! I heard a rumor that there is a re-print on the works. I will definitely get one! Just Kidding

I'm looking for a nice SIMPLE game for my children. Any suggestions? They are 11, 5 and 4.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
I'm looking for a nice SIMPLE game for my children. Any suggestions? They are 11, 5 and 4.

Well, there is the game we call "Pexeso" in czech... I believe that in rest of the world it's known as Memory... But that probably was not what you were searching for Smile

But there is Trans America... But that maybe for a bit older children (6 or 7+ I think)... But it nice and simple game of building railroads and connecting American cities (so its eduational as well... basics of geography Smile )...

And this one might be interesting: Spot It! / Dobble . There are round cards with different pictures and you have to be quick to name one on your card matching with one on the top card of the deck. It can be quite fast and makes you think quite quick. And even 4 or 5 year old could play it, I think (although it recommended for 6+ )
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice! I will check 'em out.

I want a game with few models, simple dice rolling, counting... but NO cards to read (the two little ones are just learning and they get angry with the big words! Just Kidding )
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
Nice! I will check 'em out.

I want a game with few models, simple dice rolling, counting... but NO cards to read (the two little ones are just learning and they get angry with the big words! Just Kidding )

Well, in Trans America, there are just names of the cities on cards (and on game plan) and in Dobble there are only pictures on cards, so I think it's ideal Wink
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 am

I play Dungeons and Dragons wrath of ashardalon, and recently got castle ravenloft. Really fun dungeon crawling games, with treasure, random traps encounters and loads of monsters! The miniaturs are no where near the standards of GW in terms of detail, but once painted they are pretty cool, you could always substitute them if you want to be a fansy pants! but yeh check them out if you havent allready!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:39 pm

I would not mind D&D... but definitely not Ravenloft... hehehe it is for kids, so Zombies, Vampires & Werewolves (real ones... not those crappy ones from you-know-where), Gothic horror, etc. would not be appropriate.

What is "Wrath of Ashardalon"? Any links you could share?
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 pm

wrath of ashardelon is another DND board game, basicaly you do a bunch of quests through this dragons lair, and dungeons, monsters are like orcs, bears, giant snakes, evil dwarfs, devils, that kind of thing, and some cool beasts. I really enjoy it,

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66356/dungeons-dragons-wrath-of-ashardalon-board-game

thats a reveiw of it on boardgame geek

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wrath+of+ashardalon&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=12425755196&ref=pd_sl_93087pggbt_b

and some amazon links to it and the others in the series

I plan on replacing the models in these slowly, there are a ton of figures in it, but it is unpredictable and fun to play!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Lately me and some friends have been playing "Arkham Horror" from Fantasy Flight. It's based in the Cthulhu setting and it's really hardcore! We still haven't beat the game by playing it the honest way...

A great small game to play with kids is "Regenwormen":
http://www.999games.nl/spel/Regenwormen+Junior
Me and my wife play it with our nephew and niece (8 en 9 years old) and they love it! It should be available in english also according to this boardgeek link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15818/pickomino
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Arachas and myself played the Battlestar Galactica boardgame a couple of weeks ago. That is one cool game. Basically everyone starts as a character from the show. They have to work together to get to safety. however, one of them (or more if you play with more) can turn out to be a cylon and therefore will covertly work against the humans. It provides some really cool suspense moments, trying to figure out who is the sneaky bastard trying to kill you all Just Kidding if you are a fan of the show, i can definitely recommend it.

As for a more child friendly game, maybe munchkin is cool, although it does involve reading a bit. It is basically a card game version of D&D only way funnier.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Munchkin is indeed very funny! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm

But the little ones can't read... no card stuff.
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 3:34 am

few years ago i won Neuroshima Hex! on LARP, that's tactic board game basing on polish RPG system neuroshima,and if i'm not wrong it's available in english in EU stores, maby in US, butonly maby. For more electronic-addicted players there's also (o tempora, o mores...) iPhone version and for PC (online multiplayer).
game is simple, main task is to eliminate anemy's HQ, using our troops and special abilities represnted by hexagonal tokens, randomly drawn from army's pile. For basic box there's board, a lot of tokens from 4 armies and aditional counters and manual PL/ENG. I played both extensions, first include 2 armies and some terrain, second has another 2 armies and another board, so it can be taken and played separatly. one match usually takes ab. 30 minutes, but if You're going to play in 4 players it's gonna take more time for sure Smile.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 4:15 am

Goodness the Battlestar game is ace. One game, Prius spent the whole time as a contributive, loyal human. Only to push Galactica over the edge in the final moment! BASTARD CYLON!

Also, if you like screwing each other, try Cosmic Encounter. Diplomacy in space, but faster. And on that note also try the Game of Thrones boardgame. If you've seen the show, or read the book, you know exactly what you're in for: intrique, betrayal and se-... no wait, no that last one. Well, if you want. Need to convince some girls to play along, though. Ah, I digress...
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 4:19 am

Mordheimer wrote:
But the little ones can't read... no card stuff.
That's why I pointed out Pickomino, have you checked it?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:07 am

I missed Pickomino...

Quote :
The well known 'Zoch Chickens' turn up in a hectic dice battle in Heckmeck Am Bratwurmeck. Two to seven players 8 and up try to obtain fried worms for their chickens, so that they don't go hungry. Of course, anyone who doesn't manage to grab a worm off of the grill can help himself to those of his opponents.

Sounds way too silly. PERFECT! cheers

I read it has dig dice and... worms. Heheheh. Relies heavily in luck, which is good for the little ones. Also... it is cheap! ~$20!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 am

Good thing I reminded you then! Smile
I think it's really a great game to play with your kids, let me know when you try it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Board Games in general   Board Games in general I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Board Games in general
Page 1 of 1