Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney

Go down 
+9
Dysturbed
dumdeedum
Narcissus
Long_John_Silver
Chuchosky
Gatlag Stonetooth
Mordheimer
Arachas
Laney
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Empty
PostSubject: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 am

This is more of a placeholder, nothing to show yet, but...

I've started a scenery project, inspired by some of the great terrain boards on here, terragenesis and various necromunda boards. I want the whole thing to be modular, so I got the bloke at the local DIY store to cut up 24 foot square pieces of 3mm MDF (I kept two as larger 2x1 boards for a couple of larger projects), each of which will have a unique scenery piece on it. I've planned them all out on paper and collected scenery materials over the last few months, so I should have more than enough to get going. I've started on five pieces...

Minefield bordered by piles of rusted (sprue and spare bits) junk (1/2 built).
Laser cutter and promethium storage tank complex (3/4 built).
Raised landing pad - about 12" high (using the top of the skyshield landing platform). I can then use the other bits for another piece.
Rock formations
'Crashed' marine drop pod.

Other features of the board will be...
Large sewage works (double board)
Corrupted research facility (double board)
Huge pipeline, made up of 5 separate pieces

...and more.

Obviously this project will take time, but I hope to update with a few WIP pics soon!

Cheers Laney
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:48 am

Wait... you start a thread citing all kinds of awesomeness... WITH NO PICS?!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 am

Sorry! - but at the minute the awesomeness is mostly a pile of rubbish/junk. I'll take a couple of WIP pics of the small bits done so far, just for you Arachas Very Happy .

I was doing another search for terrain bits and cam across this site, very cool stuff!
http://www.quantumgothic.co.uk/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

The missile launcher seems perfect for the missile silo scenario.

Cheers Laney Very Happy

EDIT: Ok, this is all I've got so far!

The minefield board (PVA still drying and minus the rusted junk piles!)
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7813
The promethium tank and laser cutter device - quite a bit still to do!
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7814
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7815
The piles of 'scenery' waiting for a creative effort!
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7816

It'll look better painted up - honest!

Last edited by Laney on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a few basic pics)
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:07 am

See? That's plenty cool. Now I am satisfied... thank you. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:04 am

You call that 'nothing'??!?!?! That is AWESOME! I see the mines already on the board and those fuel tanks are AMAZING! Thanks for sharing! A+ for you, buddy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:29 am

Looking like a great project already! Curious to your next update!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Well this is the next update, but with lots of work to do before Tuesday, I'll probably not get another update out on this until next week. Anyway three low level boards are completed and undercoated. A crashed drop pod, a rock formation with diggings and the minefield with junk piles. The promethium tank and laser cutter board is still a WIP. I plan to do 24 boards like this!

The drop pod crash site...
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7817

The four boards so far...
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Modula10

The three boards at the undercoat station (where the rock melted a bit even though I pva'd it!
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Modula11

Ideas on what to put on the boards and feedback welcome!

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 3:48 am

O...M...F...G....

X_X
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 4:59 am

Awesome sh*t! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Chuchosky

Chuchosky

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 6:20 am

Shocked Nothing to say .... awasome .... o cojonudos (in spanish)

Since now i see my scenarios as made by a children Sad
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks Guys!

Good to see I'm on the right lines! I need to add height next (landing pad, pipes and research facility should allow that to happen - but that's about 10 boards worth right there!).

@ Chuchosky: Not at all - your builds are superb (I've nicked ideas from you for a sandbagged bunker). And the 'shoebox' construction of your buildings to lift of the lid is ace!

Cheers Laney Very Happy (more hopefully over the weekend - but most likely not! Sad )
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Quick update...

I've built this scenery piece out of bits and bobs I had lying around (mostly pegasus hobbies stuff). So, I've got five foot square tiles built (though not necessarily complete). Next up is a landing platform (standard GW skyshield)...
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7818
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7819

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 3:50 am

Nice!
Where did you make the sandbags from? Miliput?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 6:20 am

NICE!!!!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 1:29 pm

I nicked chuchosky's idea for the sandbags and made them from airdrying clay (cheaper than milliput and less messy).

Ta Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 3:32 am

Ok, a small update...

I'm planning a corrupted research facility - think of a downmarket Anphelion Base. Terragenesis (who I recently joined to aid the scenery building) have a competition based around a scenery piece with a base no more than 3" square - so I thought I would build some internal furniture pieces. I have lots of ideas, but the first one is the classic 'containment tanks' idea (I may build others afterwards). My other ideas include (internal and external pieces)...

V2 style rocket bay.
A movable micro landing platform for speeders and gravbikes (I don't hold with this only one Mark 14 jetbike nonsense - just cut down a speeder and you're done). You are allowed to extend by 1.5" on each side of the base as long as it is elevated from the original base.
A servitor run autodoc station.
A psychic amplifier.
A tyranid 'thing' made out of old bones (i'm a biology teacher and my school was throwing out a box of old animal bones - I don't collect or anything!).
Technical 'machinery' and generators for the research facility.

If you have any ideas - I may build a few of these - so I'm all ears!

Anyway here's my current WIP... The containment tanks
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7832
Body 1 in its tank - I'm going to fill these with semi-opaque 'goo'
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7833
A scale shot...
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7834
Feedback welcome....
Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 8:33 am

Awesome!!!!

I ALWAYS wanted to build something like that! For the 'goo' I always thought that 'water effects' would do wonders. You can paint your model (victim?) to give realistic look, then prepare the water effects with a little scorpion green... it will mix well. Will give you the 'murkiness you want and the 'radioactive glow' you maybe looking for. For added effect, you may add some LED lights in the INSIDE shining up. The water effect acts like a prism and augments the light.

To pour the water effect, paint the model, and attach it inside (with the cable as you have it). Then mark where the top of orange base ends on the clear bubble. Turn upside-down the bubble and and fill the prepared water effect to just ABOVE the mark (so when you put the bubble on the base, the water effect is UNDER the top of the orange base. On the space left on the orange base, put your LEDs! The effect (in theory) should be amazing!

You can add bubbles to the water effects (so to trick the observer that the case is full of liquids!) by inserting a THIN straw and blowing a little bubble (obviously when it is not settled!) SLOWLY... the water effect will accept the new 'object' as normal. The bubbles will remain exactly where you put them. If you remove the straw quickly, the water effect (on its unsettled gelatinous form) will collapse around the space the straw left... the end result is a super thin line (only visible if you know what you are looking for!)

Of course... practice first!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 10:29 am

Brilliant advice Mord - thanks!

Would that much water effects dry clear? Would a hypodermic needle work as well as the straw do you think?

I've always wanted to add LEDs but never known where to start (maybe I should go to the local electronics place and ask!).

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2011 7:58 pm

You know... those who can't do, advice! So here I'm, opening my mouth... HA!

You made me look and do some research... so I don't put my foot on my mouth (again). I had the idea right, the names WRONG!!! You want to go from this...

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Buc4

... to this!
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney DSC_02201

What you need is a CLEAR epoxy resin (like Environmental Technologies' “Easy Cast Clear Casting Resin”)... I have seen this in hobby stores. It is a two part mix (A & B)... easy to do. Better yet, I found a SUPERB tutorial on this LINK! Step by step... AWESOME!

Here is another example with CLEAR water...

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney IMG_6249

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Dolphin-diorama

You could create other effects like ripples, waves, etc with Woodland Scenics ([url=woodlandscenics.com]LINK[/url]) Water effects.

Tutorial on this LINK!
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Warship3

So... the resin dries CLEAR... SUPER transparent. You can mix some water soluble color (1 or 2 drops of Scorpion Green) and pour 1/4 of the vat (remember is upside down!) If the drying time is 1 hour, I would suggest that after 5 minutes (maybe 10) use the syringe (excellent choice!) to make few bubbles. After it dries (I would give 125% of recommended time to be sure), pour another 1/4th and repeat... and so on, so on. I would practice in a small jar/container first.

For LED... hmmm... more research!

When it comes to electronics, I'm DUMB! So I'm looking for a 'ready made' kit. Here is a nice video on the basics... and his solutions are so stupid they are BRILLIANT! Hehehe... The electronics shop can get you all you need. Make me wish I had time... Sad

Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 7:58 am

Double wow! One on your project Laney and one on Mords post! Sweet stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:59 am

I've bought some envirotex clearcast for the tanks so hopefully that will do the job. I'm undecided on the LEDs - maybe for another project. I have a painting update...

A couple of pics to give you an idea of the final piece:
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7910
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7842
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7911

The painting still has a long way to go - the zombies aren't finished and the cabling needs painting not to mention a little more OSL in places.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Chuchosky

Chuchosky

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 1:44 pm

AWASOME!!!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 2:38 pm

This is GREAT!

The LEDs will not be hard to add later... drill a hole for the LED at the bottom.

IDEA! Idea If you decide to put a little of paint (green, red, blue... whatever) on the clear epoxy, I suggest you use some Water Effects (with some color AND a little of brown) over the broken tank. Maybe add a 'corpse' over the goo! It simulates that the tank burst and the vital ooze spoiled (killing the 'subject').

So far... this is AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
Long_John_Silver

Long_John_Silver

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 3:47 pm

You could make wet foot prints leading away from the broken tube.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 1:19 am

A very quick update on the tanks (sorry about the pics - my camera is on its last legs)...

So the LEDs are in and the resin is here ready for pouring (should finish the whole piece over the weekend).
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7913
Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney Img_7914

Once it's done I'm going to produce two or three more smaller pieces and then go back to the bigger scenery bits (maybe even start on the research facility itself).

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney   Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular Scenery Board Started by Laney
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next