Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!

Go down 
+4
Narcissus
DeafNala
Arachas
Mordheimer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! Empty
PostSubject: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 am

I returned late yesterday from a family trip... and there it was. A lonely box from New Zealand! Early last December Kiwi told me that he wanted to paint something but his inspiration needed a jolt. He decided to paint something for me. I do NOT deserve such honor, but I accepted only if we exchanged something. It was agreed... and I kindda put it on my to do list. We PMed about it several times all in good fun.

Then... the box arrived! He was SERIOUS! Shocked WOW! I was very surprised indeed! I opened the box last night... and I laughed. This was way too cool to be real! bounce He sent not one, but TWO models! Very cool! I don't have much time (late for work) but I gotta share this with all of you. Without further due...

Commissar Kiwi
This is a GORGEOUS model! Sneaky conversions too! The Bolter is NOT from the model... but it is very well placed. It took me a while to find the seem (practically impossible!) and only because Kiwi told me! The Power Axe is VERY cool. He said he had lots of trouble painting it... but it does NOT look like it by the results! The base is very cool... love the little Ork head. HA! ENJOY!

Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw01
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw02
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw03
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw04
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw05
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw06
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw07
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw08
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw09
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! CommissarKiw10

Santa Grot
This one made me laugh really hard! We ALL think about doing something like this... only few do it. I even though about DeafNala (he and I like gobbos A LOT!) Kiwi even recruited his father to help him with the candy cane (BTW... EXCELLENT WORK!!!) The little snowball and Xmas Tree shield is ACE. Enjoy!
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! SantaGrot01
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! SantaGrot02
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! SantaGrot03
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! SantaGrot04

Comments, critiques and ENCOURAGEMENTS for Kiwi are welcomed! Wink

@ Kiwi: Really... an undeserved honor for me to receive such amazing models from you. I do not have words to thank you. I will treasure them... and exhibit them with pride! THANK YOU!!!! Now I'm in trouble... because I have to work on my Prisoner for the Exchange AND the model for the Surprise Exchange (for you!) at the same time. HA! Also... don't lurk brother! You have been here since the beginning and we ALL miss you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 am

Nice work, Kiwi! Very cinematic, that Commissar! Love it!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 am

VERY COOL STUFF, Kiwi! The Commissar captures the spirit of the piece just as your Santa Grot personifies the True Spirit of Modern Christmas...joyous greed. Nice color choices, brush work, & some impressive basing. VERY WELL DONE! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Very nice. I like how characterful both of the models are.

Mord, what will you do in return? Or is it a surprise?
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 6:27 pm

Top notch Kiwi - your skills improve with every model (which means I want to see more please).

Excellent conversion work on both pieces - the Commissars base is realy well done (how was it achieved?). As for the Santa Grot - what's not to like? It's Christmassy and Gobliny! (The freehand tree on the shield is superb by the way)

I agree with Mord - don't lurk - come join us!Very Happy

Ta Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Narcissus wrote:
Mord, what will you do in return? Or is it a surprise?
I'm screwed... the bar is set very high! I will do an Arbites. The upcoming rules describe... OHHHHH!!!! Shocked I almost let the Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! Tumblr_lpt533REnm1qz9r2d!!!

I think of something cool and write a story about him!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Sweet stuff!
Love that santa grot! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks guys,

I will give up lurking (such an ugly word), I was going to get back into posting for the prisoner exchange, when I actually had some progress to show, anyway.
Although I took ages to get around to it I really enjoyed painting these guys, it was nice to just paint a couple of minis for someone else and I'm really pleased with how they turned out. There are some things I am unhappy with though, which become glaringly obvious in the photos, the snow in particular irritates me I tried using talcum powder as a substitute for baking soda, after about peoples problems with it about it online. The couple of test bases I tried turned out ok but with the model it just looks weird. Any suggestions for something which might work a bit better?

@ Mordheimer: I'm very glad you like them. The commissar was promised even longer ago than you said, again I'm sorry about how long it took for me to finish him. A mystery arbite sounds awesome, might make me get around to doing a squad.....eventually.

@ Deafnala: Thanks, that means a lot coming from the master of goblins himself.

@ Laney: The base was inspired by the base you did for Theseus, although it was just a little extra made with dirt cork and super glue.

I have a rough idea about what I'm doing for the prisoner exchange, hopefully I'll be able to share some progress soon.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:06 am

Shocked The snow looks GREAT! Well, consider the source... I have NEVER seen snow. Every time I go somewhere that snows "all the time" they have a heat wave. scratch I'm starting to believe that 'snow' is actually the government putting drug in the drinking water to calm the population's unrest. Think about it... "white fluffy stuff falling from the sky"!?! Such lies...

ANYWAY... I love your snow (not that it looks like cocaine... to ME it looks like the real deal!) and specially the little snowball. I found it funny (AND original) how it looks like Santa GrotTM just rolled it up and he IS ready for the next snowball war. Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
skavenslayer

skavenslayer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:30 am

Mordheimer wrote:
I have NEVER seen snow.

Thats sad.. next time it snows i denmark, I will mail you some of it Very Happy

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 am

Hehehe... thanks Skavenslayer! All my frienemies keep sending me wet envelopes... hopefully your will be the proof I want. When I go and visit you, get ready for a HEAT wave. I think that governments know I up to their tricks... so they stop pumping the stuff in the water supply.

Hey KIWI!! Question... you modeled the hat and beard of Santa GrotTM with Green Stuff?
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 pm

Yes, I used half of my remaining green stuff (although I've been kindly given some more for the prisoner exchange Very Happy ), I didn't really need to change all that much though:

Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! Exchan15

Never seen snow!?
We even had snow last year for the first time since 1934:
Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! Img_4110
Probably pretty pathetic to all those people where it snows all the time but for us it was awesome!

I'm glad you like it but the thing I was disappointed about was that my "snow" doesn't glisten like real snow.

Are you planning on putting him on your tree (if you have one)?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:11 am

Kiwi wrote:
Are you planning on putting him on your tree (if you have one)?
Maybe for this Xmas (we are in March already! Shocked ) I will make a game for the kids... "Find Santa GrotTM" ... a scavenger hunt type things for them, using the model! Hehehe...
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 5:38 am

Snow in Kiwi-land, whoa! And I thought the Northern Island was subtropical... Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!   Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kiwi's Exchange... SURPRISE!
Page 1 of 1