The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

The game it started all...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

PostSubject: The game it started all...   Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 am

It was August 16, 2008. DaBank and I wanted to play Space Hulk... which had not been played in a decade. He had some paper tiles, and I had Genestealers and Terminators. We met, and before we set up he asked... "Do you mind if we use Guardsmen instead of Terminators? I want to do this like the movie Aliens!" My reply? "Sure! But I don't like the stating movement of the Action Points (AP)... do you mind if we just set some standard movement, like in Mordheim?" His reply? "Sure! We need some stats... " We laughed, "I got you covered!"

We played two games that night... making rules as we go. DaBank played 10 IGs and I played 20 Genestealers. The IG's on the table, bugs on blips. We also played 'Labyrinth' map, each putting a random tile on their turn. Each turn went as follow.

1) IG placed a random tile and move as normal. If a blip (represented by a yellow bead) was within direct (unobstructed) LoS, roll a D6. On a 4+ the bead was a Genestealer; if not, the blip removed.
2) Genestealers rolled a D6 blip counters per entrance point (we had 3). Player moved each bead as a 'normal' Genestealer. If IG became in direct (unobstructed) LoS, roll a D6. On a 4+ the bead was a Genestealer; if not, the blip removed.
3) Turns repeated until all models from one side were dead.

I had unlimited beads, so there was a point there was over 40 beads on the table, all moving rapidly toward the IGs... but NOBODY knew if they were 'real' or not. At the end, the bugs prevailed... com'on! It was 20 Genestealer vs. 10 IGs... they were doomed! HA!

Here are some historical pictures.

Random tile placement... 4 hallways (the far right is barely visible). Notice the blips piling up!

That last hallway... with a blip conga-line of doom.

A Dragon?!? Nope... the first and only sight of a Tyranid Dominatrix. Too bad they all died before they could report it!

From there, we started. First, we wanted to make rules for our board game... which turned into a skirmish... which turned to an adaptation of Mordheim... which merged Necromunda and Gorkamorka... which turn on a game of its own, with original rules, balanced game mechanics and so on. Death Squads was born!

For more OLD Death Squads pictures visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29644515@N07/

Space Marine Dance!

Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Last edited by Mordheimer on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 am

Wow! Pretty funny how it all worked out.
Back to top Go down
pathfinder dubstyles

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I just got Space hulk, going to play as guard sometime, it looks fun!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:31 am

Man... I just remember this.

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:11 am

RANDOM! lol!

Avatar art by HeavyMetalHanzo. Used with express permission.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 am

Missed this post at first, nice to read it! A small history lesson. Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 am

Pretty cool what came from this game.

I am very happy with how things have turned out.
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Just came across this thread linked from the thank you thread...I gotta say, I humbly request that the Close Quarters Combat section hinted at in TLRB come to fruition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The game it started all...   Today at 3:45 pm

Back to top Go down

The game it started all...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1