Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney

Go down 
+7
Kiwi
edward
Dysturbed
Mordheimer
Da Bank
DeafNala
Laney
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Empty
PostSubject: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi All,

I don't quite know how it happened. But despite loving the background, having the (old) rulebook and having bought several sets of minis, I have never played a game of warhammer fantasy in my life. I've played blood bowl (skaven), I've played mordheim (Skaven) and even a little fantasy roleplay back in the day (is that back out?), but never fantasy. I thought about a year ago on the idea of building a skaven army (clearly my first warhammer love), but as a horde army, with now more difficult minis to paint (much better models, with less super large hands, and fur), I'd never get beyond 500 points before I got bored. And then I bought the warriors of chaos battalion set - being elite and relatively easy to paint, with the opportunity to convert (in the future), and play nurgle and paint/convert some awesome models - it was just too much to take. So here is my first 'test model'. This is not meant to be a display masterpiece, instead a colour guide for the army and something that is quick and easy to paint using basic techniques like drybrushing and washing.

Chaos Warriors Theme... (Rough colours)
Armour: Rotten flesh and dark green/devlan mud slime
Cloth: Charadon granite
Leather: Khemri brown with devaln mud wash
Normal metal (e.g. weapons) chainmail with devlan mud/green wash
Rusty metal: humbrol 'rust', devaln mud,chainmail chips

The theme is nurgley with a touch of the others as it expand (mostly tzeentch, with some khorne, probably not that much slaanesh). Once the battalion set is painted I have ordered four chaos minis from enigma miniatures, and plan on a couple or three from the avatars of war collection to boost the decidedly poor chaos lords/heroes selection from GW - unless you pay £35 or similar for harry the hammer, Archaon or similar (though the nurgle lord on horseback would make an ace champion for a unit of chaos knights.

Anyway - what I need from you is...
Feedback...
AND
Support... to finish at least a small army - I always start with big plans and get bored.

Cheers Laney cheers

PS My wife has 'mislaid' the camera and so the first pic will have to wait till tomorrow! Evil or Very Mad Sad
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:27 pm

When time & wife permit, post a couple of photos AND I guarantee you you'll get enough encouragement to motivate a stone PLUS all the advice you could possibly want...or stand Suspect . The other Guys might chime in too. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 pm

02Laney...do you have a Chaos Scorcer?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 am

lies...all lies. How I know? No Pics! :p Just kidding buddy! I know exactly how you feel. Some thing similar happened to me... but not as brutal. I started playing 40k (my 1st army was Necrons) but found a MUCH better game in Morheim... I love skirmishes! I think you know... anyways, got so involved on Mordheim (campaign, forums, website, scenario collections, etc) that I never finished my beloved Skavens.

I hear you, Brother! Take a deep breath and paint some rats! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 12:32 am

I have a chaos sorcer on horseback if you need one lol.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks for the support so far! Smile - the camera has been found!

For my first chaos sorcerer I have bought 'The Old Death' from Enigma Miniatures which looks like this.

The Old Death (Nurgle Sorcerer)
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney The_ol10

And also these other foot soldiers - there are almost too many great individual chaos models out there - but it will be the battalian first - then I can reward myself with a hero or two!. The Avatars of War models are very tempting - often much better sculpts thatn the GW equivalent - but a good paint job can make the worst mini look cool!

The Forgotten Warrior (Hero with Great Weapon)
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney E-30-010

My colour scheme (base not completed) - designed to get an army finished! (this will stay for this unit - but any advice on colours for the chaos knights would be great - I'm thinking green ensorcelled weapons and rotting white horses).
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6836
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6837
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6838
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6839

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

The Enigma minis are SO COOL...especially Death: GREAT CHOICE! I like the metal work on the sword blade; it looks suitably corroded AND possibly diseased. The cloak looks like it could stand a black wash to deepen the color a bit. Otherwise the color choices look Nurglely enough, although some blending might soften the effect a tad. EXCELLENT START![b] What a Face ...we NEED a thumbs up smiley thingy. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am

Cheers for the feedback. I'm gonna invest more time on blending etc with the characters and try to get a tabletop quality with the rest, but I agree that a black wash on the cloak and possibly a thin muddy green wash all over might smooth it all out a touch.

Thanks
Laney
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 4:37 pm

02laney your chaos guys are awesome i look forward to seeing more of them
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm

A quick WIP shot or two of the nurgle chaos warriors I've been working on - progress has been slow. Shocked Sad

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Chaos_10

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6916

Laney
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 am

They look fantastic, very rotten and weathered. Great choice of army as well you can afford to make each model look fantastic and still finish.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:05 am

Here are the finished pics of the command for the nurgle chaos warriors - no conversions and just a basic paint job (the rest of the regiment are about two painting sessions behind). Chaos warhounds are built and undercoated, along with two chaos spawn (I had the bits spare in my bit box from previous conversions). The marauders are chopped off their sprue and I've bought some nurglings and a corpse cart to build a palanquin of nurgle from - for my sorcerer. The chaos knights are also off the sprue (ensorcelled weapons - so that when I build a second set I can use the lances as very cool halberds for a sceond chaos warrior regiment.

Any here are the pics of the command...
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6917
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6918
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6919
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6920
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6921

So much for the quick paint scheme!

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 am

VERY NICE PROGRESS! The choice of colors is perfect for the subject. You REALLY did an EXCELLENT job bringing the Lads to life...such as it is with the follower of Nurgle. VERY WELL DONE! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:10 pm

The skin... that grey is MAGNIFICENT! Keep posting bro! THANKS!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:58 am

Quick Update

Chaos Warhounds Built Undercoated and test model painted...
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6960
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6961

Palanquin of NURGLE early WIP shot...
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6962

Chaos Warriors complete
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6963
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6964
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_6965

Chaos Spawn Built and UC
Chaos Marauders Built and UC
Champions/Sorcerers IN BOX or IN POST (STILL!)
Chaos Knights IN BOX

Laney cheers

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:36 pm

You make me sick! Puke It IS a compliment! Great models... the shields look decomposing. hehehe
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:00 am

Whoa they look very cool. I especially like the skin tone standard bearer and the hound looks very nice.
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am

OMG they look cool

they're soooo gross and yet soooo amazing
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Quick update... Thanks for the support

Chaos Warhounds (5 at least) almost done.
Followed a tutorial on lava bases on coolminiornot and produced some truly terrible bases for my chaos knights (will be reundercoating and nurgling tomorrow as quick as I can - I'm thinking swampy, wet, rotting)

This is my first champion (the enigma minis I ordered amonth ago finally arrived!). His official name is Morphus and he is a beautiful model, loaded with detail and slightly bigger (30mm scale). Downsides - softer metal used and needed a bit of drilling/pinning, but had very little flash/mouldlines and very easy to clean up.

Built and part based only...
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7018
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7019
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7020

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm

VERY COOL MINI! Enigma makes some TRULY GREAT thingies...have FUN with the Lad! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:36 am

There is almost too much detail on the model - it is easily the equal of a forgeworld model like hector rex or solomon lok. But they get a bit scary to paint with that much fiddliness! More proper updates to follow soon...

Laney
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Oh just so you know, useing zombie heads on your Chaos Warriors make 'em look reaky Nurgley like. In fact I would try and make some units useing zombie bodys
heads and chaos weapons and armour!

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 3:32 am

Summer holidays have been and gone and I have actually completed only a tiny portion of the projects I wanted to (including getting my shed/workshop done). But I do have one or two things I can share with you on the chaos warriors...

5 Chaos Warhounds completed
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7210
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7211

Bases for my Nurgley Chaos Knights finished (all except for some scorched grass)
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7212

Nurgle Chaos Spawn Complete (still need a bit of static grass on the base)
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7213
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7214

Khorne Chaos Spawn WIP (Model complete - base not started)
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7215
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7216
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney Img_7217

@ dwi: I've seen the zombie heads thing done a couple of times and it works really well. I may start converting more once a solid 1000-1500 points are finished. This project is all about getting a painted army ready as quick as possible. Thanks for the reminder though Smile

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:15 am

WOW!!!! The Nurgle Chaos Spawn is perfect to use as the "Warp Spawn" for the Chaos Cultists! Again... amazing work!
Back to top Go down
moggd

moggd

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:58 pm

WOW!! The weathered copper? face of the spawn looks amazing!! How did you manage such an effect? Nice err....excellent job!! Keep the pics coming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next