Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to start? (IG)

Go down 
+3
Mordheimer
Skraag
Arachas
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Arachas

Arachas

Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 11:50 am

First game is happening tomorrow! Any tips on creating a starting squad of generic Guardsmen?

To give Mord the proper motivation, I'll provide some pics. Wink

This is my current paint scheme. What do you think?

Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 GuardsDS1

These guys have yet to be painted. They're freshly converted for use in Death Squads!

Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 GuardsDS2

Look out for my incoming set of ForgeWorld Hardened Veterans!

So, Mord... any inspiration? Wink
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Alright, alright. More inspiration. Got it:

My converted heavy stubber and later-game Captain. The captain I converted using High Elf archer lower body and catachan boots parts. Then I applied some greenstuff to create a lower coat like the Cadian officers usually have (with some padding on the leg).

Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 GuardsDS3

Two more painted guys. Still not sure about the color. It's nice and clean, maybe a little too much for a kill team. What do you guys think?

Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 GuardsDS4
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Cool conversion for the heavy stubber. It's amazing the variety you can get from the command squad parts. Good eyes by the way (I'm rubbish at eyes). Some dirt would really help the realism - but the overall painting is very sharp - any more to share?

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks man. Yeah, weathering would be good. I think I'll add some chipping to the armour and dust/filth to the fatigues.

I'll likely be playing a game tomorrow with a friend and I'll try and make some decent pics there.

And yes, I've changed my username. I love being able to (I just got into an argument with the Warseer mods, because they won't change mine, nor will they allow me to re-register!).
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Uhhhh!!!! I was inspired by the 1st picture... cheers

Looks like someone is ready to kick some ass... feel bad for your enemy! Man... I like the models! Hhehehehe... Sorry, LOVE the scheme! Maybe chipping some of the helmets... but NOT much. Don't over do it... less is more. Wink

When I saw the guy with the Heavy Stubber I went... DUCK & COVER!!! Hehehehe! Very cool! I don't know... I really liked the little things. A bionic arm here, a scar there. VERY WELL DONE!

AGGGGHHHH!!! Idea Sorry, just got an idea... and it tends to hurt. Why don't you paint the PLATE which carries the Aquila scab red? Yes, the dark & dirty red... symbolizes the willingness to bleed for the Emperor. The dark red is easy to apply and you could easily highlight it with blood red and fiery orange for your Officers. Not too bright, so your guys look rough.

PS: Don't change Username too much... we would like to know who you are! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 12:47 am

They look great. I really like the contrast between the cream (?) cloth and the black armour.
I agree with mordheimer on the weathering it's best to be subtle I did it too much and it looked false.
The stubber looks great I like the use of the, strap how did you do that?
Can't wait to see the rest painted!
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks, guys. (: Appreciate the comments. You don't think the colour scheme is too... plain? I mean, you see all kinds of camo going around, looking awesome...

The stubber is a stubber from the Chimaera kit. A very old one, though, I haven't bought one in literally years (I think mine is about a decade old). I simply used a pair of flamer arms from the Cadian sprue and cut the flamer away, replacing it with the stubber. Hence the strap!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 am

I think the beauty of the scheme is its simplicity... two basic colors; beige and black. I think that paining that left breastplate scab (dark) red will give you that detail that you are looking for. Try on a Infantryman... if you don't like it, you can paint it over!

You could do Desert Cammo on the beige... a little snake-bite leather blotches, few grey blotches, sprinkle bone white dots... it would work. Not too much. Wink The NICE thing about cammo (I learned) is that since you have to do it individually, even two identical models look differently (specially if not side by side). Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 1:02 pm

I did an urban camo tutorial a while ago which might give you a few ideas (the colour scheme that Mordheimer suggested sounds cool), its in the tutorial bit. There is also a great article with examples on GW (The link is in the tutorial).

Ta Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:38 am

Nice work on the convesions, this is great.
Back to top Go down
Lydor

Lydor

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Looks excellent,

I know Im a couple of months late on this, but i only joined up alittle while ago. Just to let you know, I play the Generic Cadian IG. My fluff is taken from the witch hunters codex and the Dark heresy game, a small squad of Stormtroopers conscripted to the Ordop Hereticus. Thats right...Inquisitorial stormtroopers.

Ill tell you right now, early game you cant tell the difference between the "power levels" of the cadians and say the catachans. late game however, when you start pushing that 20 player limit....oh yes, those filthy Catachan Rambo wannabe's can feel the hurt!

and heavy stubbers for the win, btw.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to start? (IG)   Where to start? (IG) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to start? (IG)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2