Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad

Go down 
+3
Arachas
Colonel Prius
sultansean
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sultansean

sultansean

PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad Empty
PostSubject: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:38 pm

So I will hopefully get to play some test games before starting a campaign, but I would like to have a basic squad concept before assembling some models. The idea is to have a squad using Ice Guard rules that utilizes snipers in high positions to soften the enemy with a few supporting units. Starting out the commissioned officers will try and get high and snipe, avoiding close combat. The Sergeants and Flamer will provide support when the enemy gets close. The medic will try not to die and focus on providing medical and moral support to his comrades (until I can afford to buy him a gun). The Infantrymen will try and support the officers as best they can. I tried to make use of the Captain's discount to really kit him out and hope he doesn't die in the first game. After which he might lend out some equipment as a reward for exemplary service.

PPNCLI Death Squad

Captain: Flak Jacket, Helmet, Long-Las, Las pistol, Sword, 2 Frag Grenades. 139

LT: Lasgun

LT: Lasgun

Sarge: Autopistol

Medic:

Heavy Weapon: Flamer

Recruit: Autogun

Total: 599

Any comments would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Pretty nice I would say. Just got one comment on it:
The Long-las for the captain. I dont know it's rarety, but I doubt it is 5 or less, so unless you took that as your 'one rare item for full price' item he cant have it. Also he needs a skill to use it, which he probably wont get untill after turn 3 or something...if you are lucky enough to roll a skill advancement. So I would say, drop the long-las for now and use it's points to buy him either a normal rifle (lasgun or something) and then change out the laspistol to an autopistol for your medic, or some armour (helmets).

Other than that, nice maxing out on the officers, flamers are nice and autoguns are still effective on recruits. And every game I played my medic saved one of my men, so keep him alive!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:03 pm

First off: you've maxxed out on officers. Good! Many people forget that officers are your main source of income.

That said, they're sitting ducks. Drop all the gear on the captain and spend it on your squad. Sure, leave him with a cool rare item (like a chainsword), but without a little bit more support you can be sure that captain ain't making it through the first game!

I totally get your reasoning behind it, but it's not smart. Not to mention a bit cheesy!

Your squad wil feel underpowered at first, which is fine. Focus in some (cheap auto)rifles for the lieutenants, add some cc weapons for the sergeants and then add as many recruit bodies as you can. Numbers matter a lot starting out. Gear will come later.

And a flamer rocks, hang on to that!
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Hey, just because your leader was a walking (dead) target doesn't mean his has to be Wink Mine was actually armored the same, weapons also almost the same (except the long las and grenades, and he had a slugger I believe). But I do get your point, Starting out with las weapons seems cool, but seeing as there is relative little armour to be found in the first games the AP they give is hardly worth it over autoguns and sluggers (and some even suggested sluggers are a bit much in the first game).
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:44 pm

hmmm didn't know I needed a skill for the Long-Las, so I will for probably a regular Lasgun. It was my one rare item (and a bargain for only slightly more than a Lasgun)

I wanted to take some lasguns as a more long term investment. because I figured that as I purchased more equipment I didn't want to have a bunch of excess autoguns lying around. However thinking about it now, I will probably focus on adding bodies for quite a while before upgrading equipment.

So maybe everyone will get auto weapons instead and some helmets.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 am

Well the guys said it all! Wink

Long-Las has the Sniper characteristic...
• Sniper: This weapon is classified as a Sniper Weapon; as such the user must have the Weapon Training, Sniper Skill. Snipers may not move and shoot, but can fire the Sniper Weapon while Hiding, revealing themselves only on a roll of 4+. Only one Sniper Weapon may be user per Squad.

So Colonel Prius is correct... if you can't use it, you can't have it (yet).

Also, if you compare autoguns with lasguns, the only difference is that the lasgun has better AP and could be upgraded with Hotshot Power Packs. At the beginning of a Campaign, most enemies are naked... so having AP 6 or nothing is the same. It is an arm's race... once people get better armor, you get better weapons, which force them to get better armor, which forces you to get better weapons... Wink

I would suggest you get the Captain a Flak Jacket and Helmet for Armor Save 4+, get him a Sword (or Chainsword for 6+ Rare) Arm him for Close Combat later. The Lts, Autoguns (or Shotguns) and Helmets. Helmets are best, because they will give you the same Armor Save as Mesh AND a Protection Against Stun! Sgts could get Helmets and Autopistols. Give the Medic an autopistol... have him DO something. Don't send him on the 1st wave, but do not leave him in a corner... let him shot... you be surprise what you could pull off!

If you can, get more bodies!

Update your list when you can!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 2:43 am

Mordheimer wrote:
Well the guys said it all! Wink

I would suggest you get the Captain a Flak Jacket and Helmet for Armor Save 4+, get him a Sword (or Chainsword for 6+ Rare) Arm him for Close Combat later. The Lts, Autoguns (or Shotguns) and Helmets. Helmets are best, because they will give you the same Armor Save as Mesh AND a Protection Against Stun! Sgts could get Helmets and Autopistols. Give the Medic an autopistol... have him DO something. Don't send him on the 1st wave, but do not leave him in a corner... let him shot... you be surprise what you could pull off!

Ha, now even you make the mistake Sturmm and I made! Shotguns are not rare 5 or lower. Our cheating is spreading!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 2:57 am

HAHAH! You are right... NO SHOTGUNS!

On my defense... I learned how to cheat all of my own! Just ask Dozer about my Ogryn with 4 Attacks... hehehe... I swear it was an honest mistake!
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Allright new list taking into account all the recommendations.

PPNCLI Death Squad

Captain: Flak Jacket, Helmet, Autogun, Sword

LT: Autogun

LT: Autogun

Medic: Autopistol

Heavy Weapon: Flamer

Total: 598

Maybe one day I will be able to afford helmets...... But at least everyone has a gun now. Rifle
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:01 pm

On the medic: Mord has been advocating his use on the front lines, but I disagree with this notion. My medic has died virtually every game because of this! Meanwhile, Prius has seen many a bad injury roll turned good due to being careful with his medic!
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Good I didn't want to listen to Mord anyways. So I might give my captain his Las pistol back, because what is an officer without a sidearm?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Very solid list. This squad will do well with those kinds of numbers. I would personally sacrifice one of the recruits to provide the captain with a hell pistol (or other suitably powerful weapon) and give the sergeants a little equipment boost. This way the medic gets to keep his supersoaker and feel like a real soldier (he can shoot once in a while, but keep him hidden just behind a reasonable meatshield).

Look forawrd to hearing about these guys adventures.

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 pm

sultansean wrote:
Good I didn't want to listen to Mord anyways.
HA! Nobody does anyways!

Laney's idea of a Hellpistol (as your sidearm!) is a good one. Listen to HIM. Wink
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 6:11 pm

02laney wrote:
Very solid list. This squad will do well with those kinds of numbers. I would personally sacrifice one of the recruits to provide the captain with a hell pistol (or other suitably powerful weapon) and give the sergeants a little equipment boost. This way the medic gets to keep his supersoaker and feel like a real soldier (he can shoot once in a while, but keep him hidden just behind a reasonable meatshield).

Look forawrd to hearing about these guys adventures.

Laney cheers

What he said. The medic does need a pistol, but should otherwise be kept quite safe.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 pm

My medic is always bringing up the "rear" with my squads or I leave him back. Otherwise Dozer, Mordheimer and JD3 try to kill him. LOL.

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 am

I go 100% opposite... my medics ALWAYS go in the front, ready to hurt someone. DaBank TRIES not to shot them (he inadvertently ends us shooting them none the less), jd3 ignores them (they always tend to Fall to their deaths) and Dozer only attacks them if it will mean a spectacular death (like his Plague Marine (Nurgle Chaos Space Marine) doing Diving Charge from a 3rd floor to kill the medic)... somehow my medics never die.

I say, give him a Pistol and send him to shot bastards in Close Combat!
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 6:33 pm

You know what, Mord? The only reason you get away with that is because Da Bank keeps poking poor snakes' eyes out!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 am

Hehehe... THAT combined with THIS! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Yea, don't get me started on the snake eyes. confused
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 am

I am happy to report that sultansean's list was not a success in its first game. Hahahaha.

We played a game (I had orks, lots of them, minimally equipped). His shooting was ineffective and then his men got eaten in close combat. Fortunately everyone survived injuries except a lieutenant who is now blind in one eye.

What should Sean buy with his sparkly new credits?

I think he need to beef up his numbers a bit and work on running away from the orks! Maybe the guns would work better if he finished gluing arms onto some of his models? Hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:31 am

Do I detect a scent of rivalry in the air? lol...

I would suggest buying some close combat weapons (swords, chainswords) and armor, to give the officers a little more staying power in CC.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:14 am

The Orks tend to be BRUTAL at first... but as Campaign progress, there are LOTS of way to counter them. The old Guardsman motto rings true.

You see an Ork, you better see him from yer scope!

You NEED avoid Close Combat with them! We Orks love close and personal! If the Ork Squad is poorly equipped (maybe NO weapons at all!) it means they are LOTS of them. With T 4, they can afford long combat. Get yourself a couple "Poor-man Snipers". 2 or 3 Officers with Climbing Harness (important!); equip with lasguns and Hot packs. Extend distance if you can. Have them CLIMB UP! The higher, the better. THEN SHOOT! Put some guards in front 10" in front of your 2nd line) and shoot! No need to move... let them come to you. Once the Orks are in Charge Range (8") you need to charge with 1 or 2, while the rest WALK back and Rapid Fire. SHOOTING is your power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad   PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PPNCLI- Starting Ice Guards Squad
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Squad Lists, Tactics & Strategies-
Jump to: