Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Balrogthebuff

Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! Empty
PostSubject: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 am

I found this site via Tom Boring's Mordheim forums Salute

I have played 40K longer than i even KNEW there was a fantasy version. Let me see that would have me starting in... 1995? Wow... I've been playing longer than I realized...

I started off like just about everyone else that isn't Traitor Scum as His Holy Emperor's Finest. The Ultramarines (back then the Ultramarines was the title of the generic Space marine codex). I played that for a bit then wanted a different army since my group was Eldar, Ultramarines, Chaos marines, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and Orks. So I bought some guard metals off the Space Wolf player in '97. Played IG since. I started playing them because everyone told me they were the worst team around, and I tend to gravitate to under dogs. But also nothing beats the concept of brave men and women standing toe to toe with the greatest evils the universe has to offer. And fixing bayonets! Rifle

Teams I have collected:
~2500 pts of Space Marines (Space Hulk Terminators, and 3 starter boxes fluff that a bit)
~3000 pts of Imperial Guard Hooah!
~1500 pts of Tyranids
~300-400 pts of Eldar my wife started by never took to
? pts of Orcs and Goblins
? pts of Lizardmen (started when Lizzies and Bretonnia came in the starter set)
Mordheim:
Pit Fighters
Marienburgers
Orcs and Goblins
BTB Norse Marauders
Dwarfs (soon to be chaos dwarfs)
Wood Elves (my wife's)
Sisters of Sigmar (also my wife's)
and last but not least my current project of the Snotling Horde!

I've been hooked on Mordheim since I first found it in the new releases section of the local store in my hometown (Napa, California). And have longed for a good RPG/Skirmish game for 40K as well. Finally that dream has come true! Sadly I have no local gaming group for games such as this... I am in Santa Maria California (near Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo) if anyone is from the area and wants to play let me know!

For Death Squads I am interested in IG first and foremost (why oh why can medics not take Lasguns??? That means i need to make new models!), then a Imperial Renegade unit representing an Inquisitorial retinue. I'll post a potential list once I finish understanding the rules better. I love making new teams and ideas, but tend to need a framework to work in or my ideas are never focused enough.

Already I had 5 ideas for teams that I would like to see, or at least rationally shot down: 1. Imperial Guard Grenadiers RP similar to the Vitrian Dragoons from Dan Abnett or other heavy infantry IG. 2. Tau Empire recon force. 3. Dark Eldar slavers, although I would never play I know several people who would. 4. A home brew race i used in an RPG and made most of a codex for: Trogdelytes, or Trogs. They are a large simian team with low tech but effective technology compared to other races which was an attempt to get an Ogre Kingdoms analog into 40K. 4. Another home brew team the Optera. The Optera were an highly mobile Insect race expanding towards the Tau's territory that used specialized bred units similar to Tyranids but based on real life insects. A lot of Poisoned attacks and low strength multi shot weapons.

Anyways i will try to develop those ideas in the suggestion box. If anyone has a preference on which i should try to develop first just ask!

Side Note: on the Medic issue I guess I can use the Lt from the Battle of Macragge set or the Doctor Dorden model. the Lt looks like he has a Stub Pistol. Idea
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:20 pm

Salute WELCOME, Balrogthebuff!!!! Salute

I'm very happy you found us. TBMF is a fantastic place, and I regard Tom is VERY high regards. To tell you the truth, my personal goal is for our forum to be as friendly and good as his. We do lots of things similar (we love pics!!!!), yet we have our own twists (battle reports, game development, etc.) I hope you find us up to your standards!

Your 40k army collection is impressive indeed. I found SUPER funny that you have no idea how many Orks you have. I think that is a mistake. The last time the Imperium did that (stop counting Orks) Armageddon happened. You may have a Green Tide just about to make your cat into their new Squiggoth... you have been warned! Just Kidding

You will noticed that the IGs are a VERY versatile force... the Regional Platoons (RPs) will allow you to play some of your favorite Guardsmen. The Medics (in general) are a mixed-blessing... their true talent comes on the Post-Battle Sequence, as an "insurance" against your Officer's injuries. Some people hide them in the back... but I think that is Cheese! I do put mine on the 2nd or 3rd line... so they can shot. Remember that you can shot INTO Close Combat... hehehehe.

Thanks for your suggestions for new Squads. They will all taken into consideration... some of them are on the works as we speak (write?). One thing about making your own Experimental Squads. Fell free to do whatever you want for yourself and your group, but you need to be VERY careful if you want to share them here. I mean, your own take on new races is a little easier to share... but established 40k races could pose a problem.

Each person has their own 'vision' on what a specific race should do... and posting the creative process would be fertile ground for fights and squabbles. That is something that derails our efforts. Sometimes the person has the best intentions, but may lack some particular knowledge and they have no access to the math 'under the hood'... making lots of things plain guess work. You could spend months working on something that is great for you, but is absolutely incompatible with the game. So while you can still enjoy it, the community would have issues with the work.

We do NOT want to stop your creative flow!

What we want is to move the game and the community forward. Instead, if you want to design I suggest you start 'working' on joining the Staff!!!

Read this post and work yourself up to meeting the requirements (not hard.) Learn the game (should be EASY for you), play games as intended... this could be a HUGE challenge for you (not having a group and all)... but if you get creative, it would really show that you not only know the game but really want to put time and energy to work WITH the Development Team. Post Battle Reports and engage everyone into YOUR adventures (it shows that you want to share AND we love a great game!) Become a community LEADER; ask questions as well as answering some. Showcase your models (PICS ARE GREAT!!!) and give constructive criticisms to other people's work.

There is a LOT to do still... and we want good people. But we need to have the work flow in an organized fashion, rather than an uncontrollable and/or incompatible mass of information.

I hope you take my words in kindness, as this is my intention. Some people like to play, while others like to model, others paint and few design. I want to ENCOURAGE YOU to explore what you want... but I would rather walk WITH you on this journey.

Good luck... and see you around!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Welcome!! Another vet... wow. Looking forward to hearing your input on the game!
Back to top Go down
Balrogthebuff

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Mordheimer wrote:

One thing about making your own Experimental Squads. Fell free to do whatever you want for yourself and your group, but you need to be VERY careful if you want to share them here.

Ok. What kind of careful do you want? I will hold off on further 'shotgunning' of ideas until polished. Are there suggestion standards somewhere here that i have missed? And if the care is more for the attachment people get to their experiment then no need for that.

I agree I do not want to derail the project in any way. Please call me on it or PM me if I do anything that causes more strife than good.

As for my ideas for the Optera or Trogs I could just email them to you or Dozer instead of posting? Although home brewed races should probably be shelved until at least a version 1.0 is completed.

Before i saw this response I posted a suggestion on Tau Recon forces. Let me know if that is not the format or quality of suggestion we need.

And I may be able to convince my wife to play a few games with me, otherwise i can always play myself. So I will try to get a better understanding of rules (~5 games in) before I start making too many more comments.

Again, I want to help, but know I don't have the group to be a stable contributor. So place me where I can do the most good!

(And one more thing: You are the same Mordheimer from Mordheimer's Information Centre? If so, your site got me back into Mordheim and wargaming in general after having to take a break during college. So thank you for the hours of fun, and curse you for the hundreds of dollars...

Salute
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Official welcome! Great to have you on board - some of the ideas sound ace.

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 5:57 pm

[quote="Balrogthebuff"]
Mordheimer wrote:

As for my ideas for the Optera or Trogs I could just email them to you or Dozer instead of posting? Although home brewed races should probably be shelved until at least a version 1.0 is completed.

Salute

Balrogthebluff

Welcome and TBMF is a great Mordheim Forum.

I believe Mordheimer is pointing out that we value people's input but really enjoy it when people have played the game and have seen what has taken over 2 years in the making. Homebrewed squads could happen but at this time we are still attempting to get all the regular 40K races done. Homebrewed squads would require a great amount of time to be introduced. Again, as Mordheimer noted don't take it hard and don't want to break your enthuasism but play the game, read the rules and etc before putting new squads out there.

Hopefully, to your relief the Tau should be one of the next squads to work on. We have several to work on and we will need to fine tune which ones.

Back to top Go down
Balrogthebuff

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Ah I need no relief. You got my Guard in there. I'd be happy with that and some xenos to fry! Thanks for the clarification!

And yeah, home brew races are not going to happen until the other stuff is done first. For my benefit: have Inquisitional or Mechanicus (Skiitari) been looked at?
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes , but we need more non human races completed before start on them.

The Arbites might be the exception as we have been talking about the AA for almost a year.

The goal is to have all 40k armies/squads but it will take some time as it has taken us over 2 years to get this.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:29 pm

EDIT: Da Bank beat me to it!

Both these very cool squads are in the mix - but a little way off yet (Space Marines are more likely first!, not to mention tyranids and the like). Loads of people want to get in on the creation of those squads! I'd suggest that some creative counts as (like my intended dark mechanicus chaos cultists - I've posted a list somewhere - and still working on the Nurgle techmarine) might be the way to go.

I also have a big collection of inquisitors that never get a 40k game - they could do with a death squads run out!

Laney Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Balrogthebuff

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 pm

As i mentioned above for now I see the IR rules as being perfect for an Inquisitor retinue. And the mutations as a path for Radicals. Due to the irregular feel of the Squad it fits well. Plus an Inquisitor's Interrogator would cause fear in most... affraid
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 am

DaBank and Laney said it well. Me posting would be beating a dead horse now... HA!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:54 am

Laney wrote:
Both these very cool squads are in the mix - but a little way off yet (Space Marines are more likely first!, not to mention tyranids and the like).

Oh rly? Hehehe...
Back to top Go down
Balrogthebuff

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 am

I look forward to being a helping hand and general nuisance!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!   Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balrog the Buff Reporting for Duty! Sah!
Page 1 of 1