Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snow Effect?

Go down 
+3
dr!zzt
Laney
kadafwer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kadafwer

kadafwer

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 am

I really wanna test to do some snow effect on some models.
How do i do? Never tried and i think i might need a tutorial. Did some search on youtube but did not find any good. I might suck on searching..
Any tips?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 11:58 am

I've only ever used several layers of snow flock - and the effect is not great. Most tutorials seem to suggest making a paste with PVA, flock and water and then apply it. Baking soda is also mentioned instead of flock.

Hope this helps
Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

for my santa i used previously dryed (just few minutes) PVA, than painted. efect, not so impresive, but simple.
Back to top Go down
kadafwer

kadafwer

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Yeah that is a classic recipe. Read in some forum that it was the best that he (the one who wrote it) had ever tried and he had done alot so i will test it.

Thank you so much for the answers. Promise to show pics when i'm done.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:07 pm

I have tried it... WORKS like a champ! Deluted PVA glue (with water, to consistency of milk)... add some baking soda. It will become 'clumpy'. Once it starts to dry (15 mins?) sprinkle some baking soda on top to get a little more texture is needed. Let dry over night. Some of my results... on my first try.

Chaos Objective B: Sorcerer without magnetized Portal.
Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-17

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-19

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-21

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-22

Chaos Objective B: Sorcerer with magnetized Portal and magnetized Space Marine "volunteer" being transformed.
Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-05

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-07

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-08

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-09

Snow Effect? ChaosObjectiveB-10

See the slide-show on this link!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Narcissus

Narcissus

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I have always wanted to try the baking soda snow. Has anyone tried adding a little blue paint and then dry brushing white over it when dry (this may give a little more depth to the snow). You wouldn't want to overdo the blue, just an idea though.

I have always wanted to partially snow base an army but I don't want to make them not fit in with any terrain or tables. I think it looks great though. Would make a great theme for a board too!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
DeafNala

DeafNala

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:59 pm

VERY COOL STUFF, Mord! What a Face ...no pun intended. Suspect

For snow I use a 50/50 mix of Woodland Scenics Snow (surprise Suspect ) & Hudson & Allen Slush...the slush has sparkly bits mixed in, possibly mica flakes. AFTER I've applied a spray finish to the mini, I paint the area I want the snow with a mix of tacky glue, white paint, & water. Then I add the snow/slush mix. For added depth a second or third layer can be added.
Back to top Go down
jammydodger

jammydodger

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:27 pm

The PVA method seems to have become the status quo but I'm interested in Deaf's method - do you mind posting some links to models that you've used it on?

Also please post up any pictures of the final product.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snow Effect? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow Effect?   Snow Effect? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow Effect?
Page 1 of 1