Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rogue Trader by Laney

Go down 
+11
Da Bank
Mordheimer
edward
Kiwi
DeafNala
DoomOnYou72
Patriarch_79
Sev
Gatlag Stonetooth
Arachas
Laney
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Da Bank

Da Bank

Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Nice work. You are great with the green stuff.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks Guys!

Just need some paint now!

@ Sev: Here's a back pic - hope that's useful.
Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Img_7813
The parts list is...
Dire avenger legs (with necron leg bionic foot), DE Kabalite warrior body (female), Dire avenger sword, DE Kabalite sword, DE heavy weapons backpack, Necron head (with chin chopped off), Long hair from my bitz box (no idea on the source).

@ Edward: The base model for the astropath is from the forgeworld Hector Rex set (he is one of three little helpers for the inquisitor).

I might do one more model as I have an ideas for the Apostate Preacher to become some kind of negotiator/recruitment officer.

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 am

WOW! The Assassin just got cooler!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Sweeet update! (why didn't I get an email saying there was an update?!)
Great models, love 'em! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Very cool stuff Laney.
Back to top Go down
http://doomiesden.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Part painted WIP of Lucifer Kidd...

Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Img_7814
Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Img_7815
Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Img_7816

Enjoy!
Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Thats looking great Laney. The green tint in the gold is perfect. The only suggestion I have is in order to compliment the rose and tone down the red I would add a red stripe to the leg and red dots in the center of the eyes on the peacock feathers. Right now the red is just too dominating and distracts from the rest of the model.
Back to top Go down
http://doomiesden.blogspot.com/
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Your WiP is BETTER than what I call "finished"... ohhh, wait. I don't paint anymore! Just Kidding

I'm pathetic!! Sad

Great work man. The verigris patena on the gun... AMAZING! And the peacock feathers... WOW! I think you will highlight the rose with orange and pink. If so, then it would be amazing.

OHHHH!!! I got a trick! Try it somewhere else first... but it works!

The final effect is an 'irridicent' color... changes with angle. Kindda like a peacock feather. HINT! It was an accident, I reproduced it. You see, they tell you to WASH AND CLEAN your brush very well after you paint with a metallic color... right? Well I was painting this shield, then I painted the gold-leafs... and then I was going to wash the green areas with a dark green wash. Stupid me, I forgot to clean my brush very well. So, when I dipped my brush on the wash, I contaminated it with the gold metallic pigments. Idiot me, I did not saw it until I finished painting the shield. I got REALLY MAD and walk out. I came back to re-paint, when I saw the effect...

Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Company%20Champion%20-%20Shield%20Detail%2001 Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Company%20Champion%20-%20Shield%20Detail%2002

The pictures does NOT do it justice (I know... the Space Marine Champion looks like shit... I'm talking about the shield!) If you tilt the model, the few flakes on the shield (they are fairly separated) catch the light and shine. It is a weird color. I have done it with gold and silver (mithryl)... in this, the rule is LESS IS MORE. Check my Trygon's carapaces. (LINK)

Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Trygon04

Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 Trygon06

OK... this is how I did it.
1) Put some of the Wash on a tray. No need to ruin the rest of your wash! I use (used?!?) Vallejo, so I always put it on my paint tray.
2) Dip your 'metallic' brush (so you don't ruin your good brush) and wipe it, like if you want to do a 'sloppy' (paint heavy) dry-brush.
3) Dip the brush on the Wash and mix. You will see some flakes floating. That is OK.
4) Test the consistency. FLAKES VANISH AS IT DRIES.
5) Paint with the Wash as normal.

If you do a watered down black wash (I mean, put more water on the wash) with gold flakes. The end result would be a light blacklining, with the iridescence stuff.

Good luck man! Amazing work!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Wow! He looks like a true rogue trader captain.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 2:44 am

Thanks guys! And great suggestions...

On the Red - I was considering painting his 'arm ruffs' in a similar red to the rose. I like the idea of the red stripe on the legs, but I probably won't tone anything like the rose down - My wife says I paint all my models too dark (so this guy has to be bright!). Maybe the red pots on the peacock feathers would work.

On the iridescent effect: I might give it a go, but I don't want to darken the feathers. Perhaps a mix of mithril silver with skull white to create an iridescent highlight? I do have another model it might work better on. I'll have a think!

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:26 am

Very nice!
I also have the same problem that most of my models are painted too dark. So this time I'm trying a white undercoat, you've got any experience with that?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 7:47 am

VERY NICE! I love the peacock feathers & the rose. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 pm

I've done a couple with white undercoat - Eldar and such. I maybe need to try more, but I do like the darker, gritty look.

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordoten

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Very nice paintjob indeed!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 pm

Very cool. Love the feather.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 am

Thanks Guys,

He's waiting until the Albino and his minions are finished. Seems to be taking me forever. Albino done, base done, grots in the process of being done!

Then I've got to get back to my March goals!

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 am

Laney wrote:
I've done a couple with white undercoat - Eldar and such. I maybe need to try more, but I do like the darker, gritty look.

Laney Very Happy
I also love the dark and gritty look, Joe's my first tryout with a white undercoat. Hope he turns out well. Smile
Back to top Go down
mrmorello

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am

Ohhhhhh snap!
I've got that empire general model, wish i'd have put him to better use like you (rather than using him as a fairly useless empire general!).
Most impressive
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Laney, any news on you Rogue Traders?
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Bit late I know, but that rogue trader looks incredible, every single bit of your work is outstanding Laney.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 2:28 am

Thanks!

Had no time for painting recently (and I'm supposed to be on holiday!). Maybe in a week on two I can show some more stuff.
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm

Holy Mother of... :O

Wow dude that is one boss warband!!! I hope that you have more comeing up soon!

I don't mean to get on ya, but as "Mister Quality Control" as Mord called me once
I feel I must say a few words:

A Chief of Security may very well be nessery to you band's fluff and to do so would make all the sence in the world. A Bodyguard would also be a good choice

Also you may wish to have a Successer to the Rouge Trader's ship; Like a son or daughter or mabe a brother or cousin

Well thats all I can think of so have a good day/night there eh?

Aquila dwi Aquila

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rogue Trader by Laney   Rogue Trader by Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rogue Trader by Laney
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2