Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) Empty
PostSubject: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 2:35 am

Well I sneaked a pic of my wife's test mini the Necrosurgen. She did not want this to be shown but I think she is doing a great job for a complete beginner.

So what do you think she still has a bit to do but its a great start.

Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) 1007025j Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) 1007026

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:22 am

@ Lady Grey: Wow! The dirty look suits the model VERY well! She has a great eye (and hand) for attention to detail... no sloppiness! A simple sand base, painted great and wash with brown would complete this 'creepy' model! You are WAY better than LGW already!!! Shocked BRAVO!!!

My only critique is NOT in the paint... may be I'm wrong, but I could spot a mold-line. In the head. Those things should be filed down when visible (now it too late... no point in ruining the beautiful paint!) Nothing major... live and learn. Some people may not care one bit, others do! Not only is great first try... but a GORGEOUS any try! Be proud of that!

@ Lord GreyWolf: Great job in sneaking a peek for us! The Chaos Gods are pleased... especially Tzeentch ! The chaos and harassment that you will endure will be legendary! See you in The Warp, buddy! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Lady Grey

Lady Grey

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:54 pm

What the mother $@*%! LGW got the stern eyebrows for posting this.

There's lots of stuff I have to fix. I need to get rid of that carrot O.o LGW gave me the paint for that, silly man, but it needs to be silver or brass, I reckon. And the clips on the skirt need to be a darker leather brown or something too. And a couple of the metal bits need to be more brassy as well.

Thanks Mord, for saying nice things Smile I think the photo looks better than the real thing, personally.

LGW is very critical of my writing, but with my first painting effort he's been brilliant. Very encouraging and helpful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 12:33 am

You get him, girl!! Just Kidding

Question... is it a carrot? Looks like one... but I was unsure! Hehehe! I know you will be an awesome painter, because you are your own worse critic already! The clips seem fine to me... you don't want them too shinny.

Your model is what I call a 'reverse focus'. You see, miniature painting is about 'tricking' the observer into believing that the tiny model is 'actual size'. You normally have a focal point, and everything else is complementary to it. Usually this focal point is something bright (usually red) or out of context. Further more, on a humanoid model, the focal point tends to be the eyes.

Your model is VERY interesting because the focal point is the eyes... or LACK of eyes! They are not symmetric, which immediately draws the observer's (mine) attention. From there my mind goes to the face... the 'unnatural' leather flesh with tiny hints of blue (VEINS!!!) is somewhat... dirty. My mind is barely wrapping around it, and thus other elements are 'faded' away. Very unconventionally, you have 'reversed' what is expected from the observer... and we enjoy a full illusion.

On a 2nd look, I would paint the neck-brace the same green of the bustier... but do NOT touch the face! Luck or raw talent (I insist on the 2nd!)... it is brilliant! Very gore spooky, without chessy blood. Many of us spend decades trying for that. For what I concern, you can brag you did it at least once in your life! The rest of us would continue to plan your assassination in pure envy. Just Kidding Anyhow... that is what I don't notice the same things you do. You have an idea in your head, and you see it form with paint. I just see the 'end' result... so far is wonderful! The focal point 'masks' errors or noon essential details. If you 'fix' the staples, then they become a focal point which diminish the illusion.

Sure you could fix the carrot... but the most important thing is to BASE the model. Easy to do! Take some PVA (wood) glue (2 or 3 drops) in a piece of cardboard or plastic (paint tray) and mix in 2 drops of water... mix with a toothpick. Thake the runny mix and apply to the base. Then 'dip' the base of the model in sand (fine sand will do best)... remove and tap the excess out. After it dries, you may want to use a brown or black wash (ink). It will go in the crevices. Let dry (important) for at least 15 mins (1 hour best) and then dry-brush with grey. You could add sporadic static grass (brown) if you have some... for that graveyard feel! To complete the model, paint few traces of blood where the corpse she is holding have been dragged. It will give 'motion' to the model.

Whatever you do... PLEASE share! Love to see your work.

PS: You still owe me a story... hehehe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Lady Grey

Lady Grey

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 1:39 am

I'm sure it's not meant to be a carrot, but in that orangey brown it sure does look like one! Very interesting what you say about focus. I'm going to have to revisit this post a few times, I think Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 4:00 pm

I think I was right in what I said its great mini and one you have done very well painting.

just fix the carrot and that arm you want to redo bronze and then base her...

Leave it alone after that. maybe paint the neck piece as well but otherwise nothing else needs to be done to it
just let it go..... you can do it.

LGW

next pics will most likely be the Stitch Thralls that are part of the Necrosurgen unit.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am

Really good model - particularly the head (the eyes are very creepy).

A dark brown wash would solve the pinky hue on the copper/brass. I think everyone else has said what I would have.

Looking forward to the minions!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)   Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lady Grey's Warmachine Crryx (sneak peek!)
Page 1 of 1