Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob

Go down 
+3
Da Bank
Librarian
Lord GreyWolf
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 pm

I would go for 1 Grenade Launcher and 1 Flamer... one for range and one for proximity. In our experience, games do not last 8 turns... the 1st two have minimal shooting and the last 3 are in Close Combat. Having 5 grenades is plenty... we had to put a limit or make a Living Bomb rule... trust me, at one point I designed a Suicide Vest for the IR Workers... very bad. Not "Master Crafted" but close... it was scrapped off after people decided to make suicide gretchins!

While there are no SPECIFIC rules on passing items, Scenarios with items always indicate that fighters in base to base can hand-off the item without a problem.

Sniper Rifle requires a Skill (as you noted), which Recruits can never learn (they can't learn skills unless they become Officers)... so the limiting factor is WHO can learn the Skill. Also, this weapon is limited to 1 per Squad.... no fun playing against 5 Snipers on a 4th floor, guarded by 15 IG guards. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 am

Mordheimer wrote:
I would go for 1 Grenade Launcher and 1 Flamer... one for range and one for proximity. In our experience, games do not last 8 turns... the 1st two have minimal shooting and the last 3 are in Close Combat. Having 5 grenades is plenty... we had to put a limit or make a Living Bomb rule... trust me, at one point I designed a Suicide Vest for the IR Workers... very bad. Not "Master Crafted" but close... it was scrapped off after people decided to make suicide gretchins!

While there are no SPECIFIC rules on passing items, Scenarios with items always indicate that fighters in base to base can hand-off the item without a problem.

Sniper Rifle requires a Skill (as you noted), which Recruits can never learn (they can't learn skills unless they become Officers)... so the limiting factor is WHO can learn the Skill. Also, this weapon is limited to 1 per Squad.... no fun playing against 5 Snipers on a 4th floor, guarded by 15 IG guards. Wink

mmmm

I see

I can make a scratch build flammer but I want this squad to be different from my others.
I do like the sniper idea but as I have already modeled up my Captain,2 leiutenants, and 2 sergeants with different weapons is there any other way I can take a sniper?

As for special characters/hired guns are these worth it in the long run? should I wait for a few more games before recruiting a Commissar?

I hope you work out a smiplified exploding collar rule for when the Penal legion is made we need to teach the convicts that they will pay for their crimes one way or another.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:10 am

was going through the hired guns/special characters and noted the Assassin.

was wondering when buying equipment for them can I choose any type of weapons from when I hire them?

ok for example we are into game 3 of a campaign I decide I want to hire an Assassin can I buy for him two Hellfire pistols? [saying that I am dam lucky and roll up the "rarity" numbers]

Also states on page #108:

Quote :
The Imperial Commissar may use any weapons, armour and wargear from the squads depot that has hired, under any subsections.

am I reading into this by thinking he can buy a powerfist [even though in the depot this is a leader only weapon] my train of thought on this is he should be able to as he can/may step into the leadership role if the current Squad Commander dies. So there for is sort of a standby leader Idea

just some random thoughts....

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 6:30 am

You may buy him ANY weapons... but can he take advantage of them? The Assasin does not have Gunslinger, so he could not use the two Hellpistols. Also, gear you give him, is gear you can't get back EVER! He dies, is 'fired' (you don't want him) or leaves (you can't afford him) he takes ALL his gear with him.

So... I would not invest expensive gear on him. That was another Ninja Design.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
You may buy him ANY weapons... but can he take advantage of them? The Assasin does not have Gunslinger, so he could not use the two Hellpistols. Also, gear you give him, is gear you can't get back EVER! He dies, is 'fired' (you don't want him) or leaves (you can't afford him) he takes ALL his gear with him.

So... I would not invest expensive gear on him. That was another Ninja Design.

that's ok I've decided to use him as a Lieutenant in the Adeptus Arbite squad i am designing up..... he can get gunslinger skill so will be a mobile gun battery.....

should be an interesting officer.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 3:03 am

ok just thought I might up date this thread:

The orcs are as following:

Nob
2x Ard boyz
1x Sneaky boss
1x werid boy
1x pain boy
2x Flame burnas
1x kommando
1x trash-kan
1x grotz [wearing grotz armour : re:Kamikaze Kenny]
4x grotz
2x orc boyz

not sure what that lot comes to but got enough minis to make a decent squad.

as for the imperial list was going to make a Mordian squad but might change it to the Urban fighters.

As I want to play with a sniper and they have one as a Special character.

but trying to get it with in the 700pts is very ummm whats the word grueling....

I have the following minis:

1x captain [2x hellpistols]
1x leiutenant [combat shield, chainsword, bolter]
1x leiutenant [sword, frag grenades, bolter]
2x sergants [lasgun, hotshot pack]
1x medic [has nothing,zip,zero]
1x Ogryn [rippergun, armour etc]
1x Sniper [Special character]
2x guardsman [lasguns, 1x vox castor]
3x guardsman [shotguns]
1x HWS [grenade launcher]
1x HWS [heavy subber]

my initial set up I want to have the SC sniper and the Ogryn. the rest i can work with or leave out depending on how it adds up.

any pointers or sugestions?

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm

whilst writing up my IG list was wondering about a couple of things.

when I buy the Captains wargear/weapons/equipment [@ 50% off]

can I transfer items from him to other units?

ok here is the example:

IG Captain:
5x frag grenades
1x sword

1x sword
1x hellpistol [rare item]
1x lasgun
1x mesh armour

the items in red are the ones I want to "move" off to other units... can this be done before the game begins or during the game?? can it be done like this?

just a random thought....

Cheers
LGW

maybe a stupid question as well.... *shrug*
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:21 am

I don't know the answer to this either but I was wondering about it.
It would definitely be interesting to be able to buy a ton of items at 50% off and then distribute them to other members.
Back to top Go down
The ISH

The ISH

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:43 am

I cannot find anything in the rules that says you cannot do this... but it seems a bit beardy to me. If you want a fluff reason, most folks in the 41st Millennium aren't exactly taught how to share in kindergarten.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 1:31 am

Kiwi wrote:
I don't know the answer to this either but I was wondering about it.
It would definitely be interesting to be able to buy a ton of items at 50% off and then distribute them to other members.

exactly...

I know you can only have two ranged weapons, two close combat weapon etc. but its a cheap way of getting grenades for the HWS... etc etc.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:32 am

TLRB v0.5.1b, page 177 wrote:
Well Equipped: Being an Officer has granted access to a variety of wargear. Only during the initial recruitment of this Officer, the costs of all Weapons, Armor and Wargear purchased for him will be reduced by 50% (round down).
This rules applies to all gear he buys FOR him... that means that he can actually use. If you want to pass down the gear to others, you could do it for game #2. Of course, you can't buy 2 Lasguns... the good old Cap't can only use one... but you could buy a Lasgun, Hellpistol and a sword (legal combo of weapons) and in game #2 give all away to other people. Same things with the grenades... you can buy 5, and have thm in game #1. For game #2, you could give them all to your HWS... or some, or none.

I will take the suggestion to clarify this. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 6:12 am

Mordheimer wrote:
TLRB v0.5.1b, page 177 wrote:
Well Equipped: Being an Officer has granted access to a variety of wargear. Only during the initial recruitment of this Officer, the costs of all Weapons, Armor and Wargear purchased for him will be reduced by 50% (round down).
This rules applies to all gear he buys FOR him... that means that he can actually use. If you want to pass down the gear to others, you could do it for game #2. Of course, you can't buy 2 Lasguns... the good old Cap't can only use one... but you could buy a Lasgun, Hellpistol and a sword (legal combo of weapons) and in game #2 give all away to other people. Same things with the grenades... you can buy 5, and have thm in game #1. For game #2, you could give them all to your HWS... or some, or none.

I will take the suggestion to clarify this. Thanks!

bugga

thx Mord.....

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 6:32 pm

ok i have a game tonight and its going to be IG vs Orks

I am having a fine time trying to balance them out any pointers for the IG?

as for the orks I really want to field he trash kan.... this is going to be a one off game [though if he gets hooked will try and make a mini campaign from it.]

what scenario would be a good starting point?

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 8:44 pm

In all honesty.....none of the scenarios would be good to get someone hooked.

The best place to start is just a straight up deathmatch. Your friends head is going to be swimming enough with all the new rules he will be trying to remember. Why add to that by putting primary and secondary objectives?

And really, the best way to teach someone how to play is to use the exact same squad (units choices, weapon choices for said units, etc....). This way everything is on equal footing. Your friend therefore cannot say later "I do not like the game because I feel you were playing a beardy race.

Take for instance your choice of playing an Ork squad against an IG squad. You play the Ork, because they are the harder of the two to play. Now your friend is going to have one hell of a hard time trying to put the Orks down before they get into hand-to-hand. Even a savvy player will have a tough time putting down ANY Ork squad before they get into hand-to-hand. He will get frustrated, and probably never want to play again.

Just some things to keep in mind before you introduce them to that first game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob   Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need Advice: Imperial Squad and Ork Mob
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2