Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I never asked to be captain.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stryke

Stryke

I never asked to be captain. Empty
PostSubject: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Well here is the start to my imperial guard background/short story/campaign. My first shot at writing so go easy on me!

+The thunder of the twin vector-turbofans was deafening.  As the turbines reached premium velocity they began to shriek in complaint, the sound piercing even the thick armour of the Valkyrie as it made its decent to Kaurava II. +

+ Tairyn looked around at the faces of the men under his command. They would follow him into the gates of hell. They would throw down their lives under his command to serve the Emperor. He never asked to be captain. The responsibility. The pressure. The guilt.  He could still see the faces of all the soldiers who had died following his orders. He had seen men, boys hacked in two and their last moments spent looking to him for guidance. You never forget the look in a man’s eyes as his time is running out. The look of desperation. Then fear. Then nothing. +

+I never asked to be Captain. +

+ The shudder of turbulence grew into a violent shake as the bird began entering the planets orbit, bringing him out of his thoughts.  Looking round to his left he saw Rass, the rookie of the group, throwing his guts up all over the deck of the gunship. His first drop. “You’re looking a bit green there Rookie!” yelled Crowe. He replied with a middle finger. +

“Hey Captain! What’s the Op?”

+ He stood up to his full height holding on to the railings above his head.  Shouting at the top of his lungs so he could be heard over the engines “Here’s the situation people.  One of our birds was taken down. Our orders are to secure the crash site, recover any survivors.”

“Now the bird was carrying some important cargo, what that is I don’t know. We don’t get paid enough to know!”
A grumble of agreement ran around the troops.

“Salvage what we can from the site and then bug out. I have a feeling we aren't the only ones who know that bird was carrying something important. We get in and we get out.”
“ Remember your training and no heroics! The emperor will be your shield! “

+He always felt like a hypocrite giving speeches like that. What good will the emperor be when a chainsword rips through your chest. Or a frag lands next to your feet. But then again, what are men without hope? +

+ The red light suddenly changed to amber, indicating the gunship was on its landing approach. +
“On your feet! Warriors of the emperor!” He bellowed! The squad all readied their weapons and began lining up at the cargo door. Each man silent, lost in their own thoughts. They didn't know if this was it. Will they come back? Will they see their families again? +

+The turbines doubled in volume as they were thrown into reverse.  “This is it ladies” yelled Val. The old lieutenant seemed to relish these moments. +

+The Landing light flicked to green and the hydraulic pistons forced the heavy doors open, filling the cabin with bright light. +

Death Squads 

Cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 am

Very cool. Stories are what it's all about! Sounds like the perfect start to the Valkyrie Down scenario.

Laney  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 10:01 am

Indeed very nice! No need to be shy about your writing!
When it ended I was like "and then what happened?!?!"
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks guys, I will write another installment tomorrow, that's what the weekends are for! and I am also going to break out the paints hehe
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Nice! Curious of your painting skills are as good as you'rw writing skills! Smile
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Update Time!

+All that glitters+

+Salvatore wasn't a man to cross. Too many times Drace had witnessed Grimm silence any fool stupid enough to speak out of line. He still remembers the day he signed that dotted line. They called themselves an artefact recovery team. You’ll get to traverse the stars, see the galaxy and its treasures. It sounded like a dream and the credits were good. However, there was nothing on the small print highlighting the fact that Salvatore was a fucking psychopath.

+He had an unhealthy obsession with all things xenos. He had a knack for sniffing out long forgotten alien technology and strange items. The kind of thing the inquisition would eradicate whole systems to remove any trace of them. Nothing would come between him and retrieving these items. Some say he was guided by the dark gods. Emperor forgive anyone who said that too his face.

+But the credits were good.

+He put the looking glass to his eye aiming it in the direction of Valkyrie. As the blurred image came into focus, two guardsmen struggled with a large and cumbersome crate. That was it. Panning around the dig site he counted 15 men. All sitting unaware of their fate. Sliding the tarpaulin from his heavy stubber he then drew a bead on the men in the valley bellow.  The noise from his gun was ringing in his ears as he sprayed streams of hellfire into the valley. The rest of his team began to charge down the slope picking off their targets as they closed in. It was all a well orchestrated attack planned by Salvatore himself.

+The Valkyrie engines sparked to life and the cargo doors began to close. He turned his stubber to focus fire on that bird. The rounds were bouncing off the thick plated armour. “The birds getting away” he screamed to Bane.  The Valkyrie began to elevate, Bane picked up his crude grenade launcher and took aim.

+Drace watched the trajectory of the projectile through the air in slow motion. As it reached the Valkyrie, it was inhaled by the air intake on the vector engine and instantly exploded sending a shower of shrapnel and flames from the engine. The Valkyrie slumped to the ground sending a shower of debris and dust into the air.

+Drace watched from his vantage point as the rest of the team swarmed over the wounded bird. Dag the big Ogryn tearing the cargo doors open with nothing but brute strength. It was incredible what he had seen that thing do. Ripping men apart like paper dolls. Salvatore had the beast pumped up on so many drugs that it could barely tell friend from foe half the time.

+He heaved his weapon onto his shoulder and picked his way down the slope to the rest of his men. They were all starting to congregate round their objective. No one dared open it. Salvatore would have Dag squeeze your brain out your eye sockets before you even laid hands on it. Salvatore wiped the blood from his blade and came striding over. Without a word he took aim at the magnetic lock with his hell pistol. Dag tore the lid off of the sarcophagus with ease.  

+Salvatore reached in and pulled out a perfect cube made of what looked like pitch black glass, Drace looked into the object with a strange desire. It was like staring into the abyss, endless nothingness. It seemed to call his name. He felt his hand unwillingly rising from his side. Salvatore covered the strange object with his cloak and Drace snapped out of it to see Salvatore looking him dead in the eye.  

“Move out.”

Death Squads
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

You've got a great writing style! I love reading your pieces, please more! Smile
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2014 5:20 pm

thanks mate! ill write up some more for you next week, give you something to look forward to at the weekend! i have started work on the renegade models, the enforcer is the first one in the mix, Grim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I never asked to be captain.   I never asked to be captain. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I never asked to be captain.
Page 1 of 1