Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney

Go down 
+7
Kiwi
edward
Dysturbed
Mordheimer
Da Bank
DeafNala
Laney
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 2:48 pm

@ For the verdigris on copper face I used a variation on the technique shown in this tutorial.
http://www.deathsquadsgame.com/tutorials-f19/verdigris-style-weathering-on-copper-bronze-brass-pic-heavy-t744.htm

The only difference was I didn't do a top highlight and instead did a second drybrush of dwarf bronze and another (very watered down) wash of the verdigris mix.

Cheers Laney cheers

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:01 pm

@ moggd: YES!!! Isn't that the coolest thing? Trust me... if you want to read ONE tutorial in your life... read Laney's! It is AMAZING!!! I had tried for YEARS to 'break the code for the patine (verdigris)' in vain... until I read Laney's tutorial. Easy as pie! 1, 2, 3... PUM! You are done. It has step by step instructions with CLEAR pictures. I tried it (very skeptically, I may add) on my Prisoner (Amparor)... I cried (literally) when it was done. It took the model to a new level... YOU MUST TRY IT! It will change your life... at least your painting style!

Laney is THE best tutorial writer... EVER! If he decides to make a book, he will be WORLD FAMOUS! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
cody20

cody20

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:24 am

Laney you always have the coolest models.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 am

affraid Very cool! The hounds look great as a unit and the spawns are amazing.
Could you take a group shot of what you have done so far? I'm sure it would look awesome.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 4:31 pm

A couple (or three) of pics of the small painted force so far...
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7227
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7228
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7229

Ta Laney
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 am

The group shot looks even better than I thought it would, great work. I can't wait to see how your knights turn out.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 4:50 am

Thanks,

I might start on the knights over the weekend. For the minute, here is the work in progress of my first champion - Morphus.

They are a bit dark - but hopefully you'll get the idea. My studio/workshop is due to be finished before Christmas - then I'll have good pics!

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7263
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7264
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7265

Feedback Appreciated
Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Amazing model... like usual!

At 1st glance my eyes were directed to Morphus's head. WEIRD! I start asking myself why? I mean, usually I do a cheap trick (like painting the eyes red)... then it hit me. DUDE! It is the scar on the right 'eye'! The human brain goes for the "jugular"... it looks for any imperfection out of the ordinary, then if it is within normal parameters, the whole miniature is 'approved as real' and the illusion is complete. The scar looks so GREAT that it seals the deal (at least for my insane mind!) BRAVO!!!

I understand it is a WiP... what is the mess in his chest supposed to be? Flesh? Copper? Jerky (yuck!)? I magine the weapon would get some "Love From Laney" (I bet you have used that phrase before... and not for painting!)

Over all... we are getting schooled again. Great work! Blending is done masterfully. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks Mordheimer - always good to get positives - On the eye - I just painted to the sculpting - which is superb on these enigma miniatures.

The fleshy bit around the abdomen is criss crossed with ropes and chains - which I made bronze/copper to fit with the overall colour scheme I had gone for.

Hopefully, these pics (which are officially finished apart from one top highlight on the skulls) might show it better. They use flash, so they have the opposite problem to the dark pics, every layer of paint shows up really starkly. Anyway here goes...
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7269
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7270

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 am

really really really friking awsome
awsome sauce rating 8.5/10
w-o-t-w
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 10:21 am

way-of-the-warrior wrote:
awesome sauce rating 8.5/10
We should adopt this... rating... hehehe

I give it a 9... really awesome! FYI, I give Amparor a 7... so you are WAY better than me! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 12:50 pm

hehe can we lol i love the term awsome sauce i use it all the time and id say 8.5 coz laneys models are awsome sauce but his theseus grey and some models i have seen in the flesh are way better Smile
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:57 am

Hi All,

I've just finished a very special chaos warrior champion (anyone recognise it? Just Kidding ). He is a champion of nurgle as usual as this gives me plenty of opportunity for dripping rot, washes and rust. I went with a darker green than my first guy and then went for a burnt orange an 'spot' colour, which I liked so much the nurgling became orange too! I think the overall effect is pretty cool. I would love some feedback (next up are the marauders and warhounds part 2). The knights are the last part of the battalion set I need to do then (I'm going paint those as 5 individuals)...

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7339
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7340
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7341
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7342
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7343

Armour Detail:
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7344

Nurgling Detail:
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7345

What do you think?

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 11:12 am

with the new rules Fantasy looks so good now. I kinda wish I could get back into it. But alas Im working on my own thing for fantasy...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Is THAT him? It? HIM! Wow... Laney! You.... if I knew this Chaos Lord could look 1/100th good as this one does, I would had sent you a lump of coal! AMAZING work!

The Chaos Lord looks GREAT... I imagine that he would blend amazingly in the table. The green does it for me. Sure, the classic puss green is nice, but this one (AT LEAST TO ME) gives me the impression that this Lord retains some sense of his humanity, and continues to take care of his armor and items, trying to be a 'shining' example of what the Gifts of Pappa Nurgle can bestow upon you! The pride... SO COOL!

The nurgling looks as 'bad' as the Lord... I do not want to mess with it! HA!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm glad you like him - i thought I just had to do him justice (which is why I didn't paint him for a three or four months - I was too worried about 'breaking' the model). I'm going on to some more warhounds (but I have another great chaos model to do - so I might do that instead).

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Dude... I you 'do justice' to your models by not painting your models for 3 or 4 months... then my models are GODS! Wink

Ohhh... Dozer... NOOO!!!! Smack
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 pm

duuude laney that nurgle lord is freeking amazing

ilove the little red familar
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 6:35 pm

It's been awhile since last I checked out your works; SO..I had a stroll through the entire thread. All the stuff is GREAT, but the latest additions are EXCEPTIONALLY WELL DONE! I'm impressed. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 3:47 am

Thanks for the positive comments - really appreciated as always. I am slowly but surely making my way through the battalion box of chaos and catching up on a few older projects left to gather dust. And it is not only really fun - it's also a lot cheaper than going and buying even more model I haven't got time to paint (though my wife has strict instructions on what to buy for my Christmas present this year - Forgeworld all the way - I wish they would do more fantasy stuff though)!

Cheers Laney (more soon)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 am

02laney wrote:
(though my wife has strict instructions on what to buy for my Christmas present this year - Forgeworld all the way - I wish they would do more fantasy stuff though)

Your wish may be on its way to being granted; check out this: http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/fantasy-wargames-f15/warhammer-forge-t4449.htm . Cool, huh!? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 am

Some beautiful nurgle pieces there that could really add to my fledgling forces. Not to mention the model of Theodor Bruckner (whoever he is), which just looked ace. Nice mix of pieces too.

Very Excited!

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 pm

yes laney i'd like it if there was more fantasy forgeworld
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 am

HI GUYS,

Quick update: test model for my marauders finished - he is one of my 'fast' models (basic coat, wash and highlight), I have to paint 20 of these guys so I wanted something quick and easy to do that wouldn't look rubbish.

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7351
Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 Img_7352

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Your 'quick models' put me to shame... Shocked AMAZING work!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something Different and Chaosy from Laney   Something Different and Chaosy from Laney - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something Different and Chaosy from Laney
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next