Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane

Go down 
+7
Laney
ClausLars
Mordheimer
mudboy
Komfritten
Narcissus
Arachas
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Arachas

Arachas

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane Empty
PostSubject: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Time heals all wounds, but hatred burns forever. Scouting elements of the Cadian 9th, among which Captain Arachas' Rapier Squad, once again encountered the Captain's hated nemesis: Major Sturmm. Sturmm, who devastated Arachas' previous command, has returned to the planet of Semper in force. His position pin-pointed by Imperial Intelligence, Arachas takes it upon himself to drive Sturmm off the planet again.

Expected to pass through remnants of the city of Aeterna in the early morning, Arachas' personal squad set up an ambush along the city's central road, known as Death Lane. An image from a 9th Cadian scouting plane shows Rapier Squad on the left, their shadows lengthening in the evening sun.

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-27173532

An image from one of the plane's probes shows Captain Arachas conferring with one of his scouts (middle) with his right hand, Lieutenant Kassad, handing out orders to the rest of the squad. The state of devastation in Aeterna can clearly be seen in the background.

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-27173317

Finally, a zoomed in image of the Captain's conversion with his subordinate. Note that the entire squad is equipped with backpacks, ready for extended stay in the field as scouts.

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-27173327

Hostilities are expected in the early morning. We will update the feed as reports come in.

Last edited by Arachas on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 1:59 pm

I love that part about the lengthening shadows. Looking forward to reading more! Nice terrain.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 pm

GREAT! I need this!

Real nice to see some batrep content again! Now I wont sleep of eagerness to see the rest!

NB: Really like how your city is turning out
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Looking very good! Now get on with it!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Pure greatness! The terrain looks great... models are fantastic... all of it AMAZING! Feels like a still of a movie. MOAR!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 7:54 pm

What Mord said.

And I can't agree more about the lengthening shadows, really sets the scene.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 1:32 am

The board looks superb, the scene setting is spot on and the models look ace too!

Now give us the battle report!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 am

General Masteen sat quietly in his office at the Imperial base of operations on Semper. He sipped a hot cup of local coffee, steam whisking up past his face, while he read the latest report on Captain Arachas' stand off with Sturmm.

Sturmm, that bastard. It had been a matter of days before Semper had finally been under complete Imperial control. Nothing was further from the truth, as they had found out. Sturmm had managed to galvanize the resistance, making use of forces that were far beyond any mortal. Once HQ got wind of mutated renegade soldiers attacking Aeterna, Masteen had known they weren't anywhere close near victory.

Arachas, after his intial defeat by Sturmm, had vowed revenge on the renegade Major. Would he get it? Masteen was certainly hoping his First Captain would personally put a bolt through that traitor's eyes...

Early morning, local time. Sergeant Hoyt, forward scout of the unit, peered through the glasses of his binocular. The far end of the street showed what they had been expecting for several hours now: movement. Later than the Captain had anticipated, but here they were: Sturmm and his man. From their movement, Hoyt surmised Sturmm anticipated an ambush along the street. The renegade squad split up in two groups, one entering the old factory on one side of the street, the other opting to take a route through the destroyed Sanctum.

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28092903
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28093515

"Sir," Hoyt called through his vox. "They're here."
"Excelllent," said the Captain's voice. "You know what to do."

Rapier Squad knew exactly what to do: kill those renegade bastards, before they could reach the other side of the city, where the Imperial HQ was located.

Hoyt crawled back from his forward position to join the rest of the squad, where the Captain was handing out orders. It was a formality: they'd been over the attack plan several times this morning: one group would take the flamethrowers and hold off the enemy's advance through the church. The other would engage Sturmm directly through the buildings on the far side of the street. The first group would then sweep up from behind and clean up whatever was left.

With grim faces, the first group set off through the church.

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28095104

"Move!" called Arachas through his voxcaster. He needed those troopers in position before... too late! Gunfire was coming from the Sanctum, with the troopers in the church having to duck for cover. Sturmm was already entrenched! Within seconds, bullets ripped through the fear-stricken troopers.

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28095119
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28100517

Arachas himself, over on the west side, pushed his men through the buildings, to make they got into position on this flank, before Sturmm would arrive.

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28095145

Suddenly, a large *thud* could be heard, the sharp *pang* of a pin being released. Sturmm's men were covering their advance with smoke. Looking from out of his cover, Lieutenant Silenus could finally see the enemy: as usual, Sturmm's pet Ogryn was also there.

"Hold position here!" said Arachas. "Wait for them to come around the building."

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28102355
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28102403

Tilting his sizable bolter towards the nearest renegade, Arachas let fly and downed his target. Bullets started flying everywhere in response, including across the main street: looking to his left, Arachas could see his regulars being slaughtered by concentrated fire from the Sanctum. This was not going well! And where was Sturmm?

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28110625

"There he is!" called out Sergeant Locke, facing the street on the east side of the building they were hugging. Sturmm was clearing the cover of the Sanctum ruins and made for the Manufactorum across the street. "I can get him, sir!"

"Take the shot!" cried Arachas, even though everything within him wanted to personally put a sword through that traitor's throat. A loud pang from Locke's autogun sounded, following by a roar and a moment of deafening silence.

"Sergeant, report!"
Locke turned to look at Arachas, almost dumbstruck. "Sir... I... I got him! I shot him! I got him straight in the neck, right between his carapace plates. I saw blood spraying everywhere!"

Locke lifed up his rifle and wanted to oust a cheer, but at the same time a cannonade of stubber fire blasted from the Sanctum, shredding Locke and the flamer-toting trooper next to him. The young sergeant slumped to the ground, as surprised by being shot so suddenly as by his astounding feat from just a moment ago.

Scout probe images
REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28114210

Enraged by the apparent death of their leader, Sturmm's men surged forward, stopping at nothing. Arachas desperately tried to organize his line, but his men were panicking from the sudden onslaught. Pounding the Ogryn with bolter fire, it nonetheless charged relentlessly forward, only to be locked into a flurry of blows with Lieutenant Silenus, who gallantly kept his own against the beast.

Lieutenant Kassad, not so lucky, was riddled with shots while trying to take out the female member of the Sturmm squad. Left and right, the Cadians were dropping like flies. The east-side assault had failed, while Arachas' men were getting slaughtered on the west flank.

With a look of pure hate on his face, Arachas sounded the retreat.

General Masteen put the report down. Another defeat by the treacherous Sturmm. It was to be expected, though: Arachas' new squad was young and inexperienced. Sturmm, though he was in the process of rebuilding his forces, had more experienced men at his command. Masteen had no doubts that Arachas would manage to kill his nemesis at long last... soon.

For not long after that battle, intel had reported sightings of Sturmm. Alive and well, though the scout probes had clearly shown a critical hit that could only be described as a master shot by Sergeant Locke. Sturmm had been dead, that much was sure. How he ended up walking again... Masteen had a few theories, but he did not let his thoughts wonder there...

The cost of the defeat had been high. Lieutenant Kassad, though initially thought on his way to recovery, lost sight in both his eyes. His wounds were too severe (and his rank too junior) to warrant a set of bionic replacements. He was forced to retire from the service.

Scout sergeant Hoyt would never forget the images of that day, but Masteen thought the man would recover, more hardened then ever before. The same could not be said for first sergeant Locke: he would most likely suffer from his wounds the rest of his life. At least he could still fight.

All in all they got off pretty lightly, considering the amount of casualties sustained. Masteen leaned back in his chair. Next time they would get Sturmm. Next time...

---------

BONUS:

Mord told me to organize my games better, so I could play them faster. Well, I did organize:

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2012-09-28092856

Did it work? Nope, this game still took us over two hours. Wink
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm

What a great report!!

Sorry to hear it took so long, but for those of us living vicariously through you it went far too quickly.

Your pictures came out really nice, and for me really drive home just how dynamic those cadian kits are. Makes me wish I was at home finishing up my squad instead of at work.

Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Great report! I like the drama you added to the details and that you focussed on the narrative (not the dice rolls).
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Sergeant Locke... NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Sad He was... my hero!

Great report. I read it TWICE. Amazing terrain... wow! Really cool stuff!

How are your Roster sheets? Did you have the weapon's descriptions on them or you need to scroll on the book? I normally use a cheat sheet for the Criticals. Was there much dancing, taunting and joking involved? That tends to delay my games... a lot!

Great job... wow! Ohhh... send my warm regards to Strumm. Tell him to not be a stranger. We miss him! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Major Sturmm

Major Sturmm

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 am

Greetings in the name of the True Gods! You know the ones I mean ... REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 2220624523

Well, I don't want to be a stranger Mord, so here I am. You don't have to miss me you know: even that sergeant Locke didn't! Shoot me ... Pah! A scratch, that's all.

Fact is; it took me a loooooong time to find that Arachas character clown, drag him out of his miserable hole in the ground and make him fight like a man again!

I loved this game. Yeah yeah, of course, I won. But what I mean to say is I like the scenario, the cinematic drama, the "feel" it has. Awesome.

My roster sheets work just fine, I got all my available weapons, armor and goodies written out on a summary. We had cheat sheets too. So I guess we're just a little slow, but hey, who cares? It's all about having fun ain't it?! And fun is what I had!

As for the near future: I have a distinct feeling that Arachas is licking his wounds and plotting his vengeance. The time to strike is very near, so after a short break to gather a replacement recruit and some goodies, I will hunt Arachas down and will ultimately FINISH him REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 514909 ... Mwuahahahaha! (how does that sound eh?)

Yours truly! Major Sturmm REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane 586584
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm

Sweet report! Reads like a novel, love your style!
The terrain looks very cool as well!
Reports like these are good for my inspirational needs! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Great report, and some great pictures as well! If I didn't have so much else to do (must... work... on... Tau...) i might even be tempted to see if I could 'cool-erize' one or two pictures in Photoshop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane   REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

REPORT: Showdown in Death Lane
Page 1 of 1