Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battle Scribe?

Go down 
+3
Dysturbed
mudboy
rhuntar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 am

Hey all,

I just found out about this program while listening to the Overlords podcast this week. Sounds like it's been well supported and ported to multiple platforms.

I've fiddled with it a bit, and it looks like someone could build data modules for DS, (or mordheim, necromundia, etc)

It looks already fairly set up for 40k/fantasy, and other games (FOW, warmahordes). Since I don't play any of these, I don't know how well it works...

I'll likely keep fiddling, but if someone who actually knows something about programming jumped in and got things started, it might go fairly quick.

take a look, tell me if it looks worth the struggle, etc.
-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
mudboy

mudboy

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 am

I use battlescribe for my 40k list building and it works great.

I'm not familiar with the catalouge editor yet but i might do something for DS at some point.
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I pulled a blood bowl module just to play around with on my phone and it's felt a little clunky.

However, as someone who enjoys playing around as a way to teach myself, I'll likely try and start a DS module and see what I can figure out.
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm

As a warning as to not waste a lot of time I would hold investing time in doing a full update till the next update. There are major core changes that would effect something like this greatly.

Though i don't discourage you if you wanted to give it a go.
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Dysturbed wrote:
As a warning as to not waste a lot of time I would hold investing time in doing a full update till the next update. There are major core changes that would effect something like this greatly.

Though i don't discourage you if you wanted to give it a go.

If you're going to peak my interest with comments like this, can you offer any loose indication of the time frame for that? Like, an update might be more likely coming in one month than in six months?? bounce

I've been wanting to reprint my rulebook, but waiting for the next update, for the last eight months or so...

I was already planning on avoiding Eldar until a revision, but assuming CC are probably pretty static for the foreseeable future.
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 am

AFAIK the overhaul is mostly costs and stats on troops and gear. It wouldn't be a problem to make the basic layout and change points afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah at the moment we are all waiting for the update till mord get's a little less busy at work.

True Mudboy, and core mechanics won't change the names ect of items.
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 am

Cool. I've played now for just a few hours total, and feel like it could come really fast, so i'll probably keep it up for a while. I've got the basics of a Chaos Cultists squad entered and working pretty well, but we do have lots and lots of weapon options.

I might try and crank out a necromundia module first, since that system seems so much simpler, and there's a local league starting up in February. I feel obligated to play, mostly to try and connect with DS-curious gamers.

If I do get any heavier into the data entry part, I think i'll start having lots of suggestions about how to condense or clarify the variety of weapon rules, etc. So just be warned, I'll likely be proofreading/editing as I go Very Happy

-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 am

To be completely honest, I really don't foresee an update in the near future. Unless Mord suddenly loses his job or something.

I know, I know. It's cooler when the Devs keep some kind of mystery surrounding new releases. They are coming, they WILL be substantial... but there's a lot still to be done. So I would go ahead and mess with the program. But still in the knowledge that when the new update DOES swing by, you're going to be doing a LOT of updating, yourself.
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:33 am

Truth be told, there have been hints of an update to the rules since I first joined...I wonder if there's anything others could do to help get an update out sooner?
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Matt12z wrote:
I wonder if there's anything others could do to help get an update out sooner?

Mord would typically have a long and enthusiastic response to this question, but i'll give mine instead. If you haven't seen
the volunteer/staff application thread, make sure to look through it. YOU know what your skills, availability and passions are. If you have a way that you could help in an official capacity, Apply!

With that out of the way, my thoughts are this: The best thing us non-devs can do is to help make sure the forum is a lively and interesting place to be. Comment on threads, play games, post pictures. We all know what its like to feel burned out on the hobby, and, personally, the thing that draws me back in is that cool conversion, or arachas and sturmm's battle reports. You (matt12z) are doing this when you write awesome fluff and participate in LGW's challenges. If you want to proofread, or playtest or have some other skill you can bring to the table, let the staff know, because no one will ask you to do it, if they don't know you can. But if you don't have opponents, or just don't have the time to do more than post advice and opinions, that is fine! You are helping!

my 2 bits
-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 pm

You're right, rhuntar. You guys can help a lot, by just being active. It's been a lot more quiet around these parts, than a year ago. I get that, because new updates always spur new enthusiasm. It's kind of a symbiosis thing: we devs feed on the enthusiasm of the community, and vice versa when we release something cool.

The bottom line is simply that most of the team is currently either busy with real life stuff, or waiting for others to finish up their parts (and those others are the ones busy IRL!).

I'm pretty sure it will pick up again, though. These things always go in phases.

Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Alrighty! I've got a functioning Necromundia module going. The guy on the battle scribe forum has recieved the standard cease and desist from GW so he doesn't allow posting of links to modules on his forum. I'm going to assume that the same is true here.

The basic functionality is there, you can build starting gang rosters. There's a few things that seem wonky, and the view isn't the greatest, but I'm going to work on all of that. I've got ideas of how to get a roster builder that would be helpful during a campaign as well.

If anybody wants to take a look at this early stage, there's a link in my twitter feed. (if I can say that...)

I'm going to work on a couple refinements and put all that to work for my DS files. Someone can let me know whether a direct link to either is okay or not, but I'm playing it cautious for the moment.

-rhuntar

Edit: There's really nothing to compare to the feeling of finally posting a project on the interwebs and then realzing that you've been spelling Necromunda as Necromundia the whole time....
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 pm

You peaked my interest. Installing it on my iPad as I type.
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm

ClausLars wrote:
You peaked my interest. Installing it on my iPad as I type.

Nice. I feel like the layout view Ob my iPhone isn't ideal ATM, but definetly serviceable.

I'm optimistic I'll have at least a few DS squads ready to go by the end of the weekend. I've got all (ALL! And there's a lot!) the weapon data entered already. Going to do cursory profiles for armor and warheads and then be working on getting squads to be functional

I don't play any other games that there are data files for, but I imagine it could be quite handy. And updating files is really easy. The programs write/read directly from Dropbox, so you just have to hit the update button once it's set up.

Lete know if you're running into any issues, I
Might know enough to help Wink

-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am

Nice. Do you have a link to your dropbox?
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

Yeah! I thought I set up a website link within my profile, but without making a fake account, I'm not sure whether that's working. I was not sure whether to get some sort of all clear before posting (although I hope GW doesn't care that I've got all the stats from a fan updated version of a rulebook they give away for free....)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4s3armbbaqcsjyy/rJrDf5d0xM is my public folder

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63239883/NecromundaCE/index.xml is the xml file you'll want to use in battle scribe for necromunda.

I can post my DS file, but it doesn't have any functionality in the roster builder yet, just weapons profiles, points values, and rules.

I'll definitely post the DS link as soon as it does something.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Nice looking programm indeed!
I always used Armybuilder for my Warhammer lists, it would sure be awesome if we could something like that for DS! cheers
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Gatlag Stonetooth wrote:
Nice looking programm indeed!
I always used Armybuilder for my Warhammer lists, it would sure be awesome if we could something like that for DS! cheers

Yeah, I was a big fan of Armybuilder, but only used it to draw up Mordheim starter lists. It didn't have much functionality to track rosters and was pretty printer dependent.

Battlescribe has some of the same issues, but I'm at least super impressed with how much easier it seems to write data files than armybuilder ever was. I'm also hopeful that the author of the program is available to take suggestions for improvements as updates come out. Hopefully, there are some easy ways to make the roster display better for games like DS, Mordheim, etc.

Anyways, while far from complete, I've got a link to my work in progress DS datafile. I'm just picking away at CC right now, but have ALL the weapons in the game included in the file, and am working at adding the rest of the Rules and Skills as I go. This is mostly just to prove its coming along and fish for compliments.

I don't have equipment lists linked yet, but think i've got Marks functioning and a model for how to do starting equipment. Right now it tosses up lots of error messages that might not be super clear, so without a decent understanding of the squad from the rulebook it might be frustrating.... I'll keep working on it.

Anyways, LINK http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63239883/Deathsquadsgame/index.xml

If you've got battlescribe on your phone or pc, add that file in the Manage Data screen

I'd love a confirmation, verbal or screenshots, that it works for someone else.

I'm going to pick at available starting equipment lists, unless i get distracted doing chasing something down a rabbit hole. It should start continually updating, so maybe by the time you read this, they'll already be working. I plan to add all the squad info into a single catalouge and then break it apart later, for consistency and efficiency in the data entry.

-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Sounds good man! I'll check it out on my iphone! Smile

---------------------------------------------
Hmmm I don't get it... I did add the url tot the xml file and after that I hit "Update Data". The update thingie appeared and after that on the home screen I tried "open roster" and got the message "you don't have any roster files"?!?
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Try create roster

The files for different squads will be called catalogues

Also, to update data after my link has updated you need to hit the menu button and delete data, before it will update with new data

Apart from war gear not having linked rules the current file is a functional chaos cultists list builder, to my knowledge. I'm also having trouble getting the 'collective' function to work properly. It should be what gets used to force recruit groups to all be equipped alike, but I can't get that to function properly with the 2 weapon limit... It is a program in beta, designed more for army scale games.

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2013 11:24 am

Ok, I deleted everything in the data screen and readded your link. After that I did an update en now I was able to create a squad! Smile
Seems like it's working so far, so keep it up! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battle Scribe? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle Scribe?   Battle Scribe? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battle Scribe?
Page 1 of 1