Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks

Go down 
+2
Da Bank
sultansean
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sultansean

sultansean

PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks Empty
PostSubject: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 8:03 pm

PPNCLI Battles

The first battle for the New Cadians was against the old and constant foe of the Imperium the foul green skinned Orks. A simple skirmish with heavy city terrain saw the New Cadians take up position in cover along the close board edge. The orks infiltrated 2 Commandos and a sneaky boss and the rest of the force advanced through cover towards the New Cadians. Firing at the Orks was ineffective with only three recruits being knocked down before the orks got within charge range. And a Kommando managed to OOA one of the lieutenants. As the Orks closed in the Flamer stepped out of hiding to light up the pain boy and a Ard boy who both were only slightly singed by the gout of promethium.

Combat was a close affair with the New Cadian sergeants giving as good as they got, but Ork numbers began to tell. A number of recruits were pummelled by the orks and a Burna boy roasted the other Lieutenant. The one brief moment of glory was when Private York, seeing his Captain charge boldly at the Ork Nob, decided that this might be a good opportunity to get a promotion. Charging in support Private York surprised the Ork and managed to drive his bayonet into the mouth of the bellowing Ork and miraculously into the creature tiny brain. However putting the Ork’s leader OOA was not enough to save the rest of his squad who voluntarily routed in order to cut their losses.

Post Game saw one Lieutenant recover fully, while the other had lost an eye to the lucky shot from the Kommandos shoota. The three recruits and the flamer also recovered.

The Ork Nob recovered fully (darn) and the Orks also managed to find a dead corpse and a deranged straggler who was subsequently sold to an eager Mad Dok for 12 teeth.

My shooting was very ineffective. A combination of a fairly small board, lots of cover and crappy rolling meant the orks were able to reach my lines almost unscathed. That toughness 4 is a big help to them. My guardsmen did well in combat but the ork numbers began to tell and I was in a position to be wiped out if I hadn’t of routed.

I think I needed to use the terrain more to minimize the number of orks getting into combat at one time rather than simply standing still and shooting. It was a fun game though and round two on Friday will hopefully see things go better.

One thing though that using the Ice Guards rule it would be nice if it was simply a 50% chance role on a di to use the ambush rule rather than depending on terrain composition since we don’t really have anything besides urban terrain. Maybe I can persuade my opponent to make it a house rule.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey!

Nice work. Sorry the IG didn't fair well but normally they don't in 40k Novels.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:37 am

It was a good game. It was the first DS game for either of us so we were definitely feeling out the rules. I got pretty lucky to escape the shooting without too much damage. I don't know much about the ice rules, but maybe we could roll a D6 to determine if it is snowing, and then your unit (s?) could ambush.

Remember, Imperial guard are for dying and orks are for fighting...
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 am

Cool, but...

WE DEMAND PICS!!!
Back to top Go down
jammydodger

jammydodger

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 am

Sounds really good. Sorry you got a pasting, but at least most of your squad survived in good form. Hopefully a couple of Skills and some stronger equipment (Lasguns & Hotshot PP) will mitigate some of that nasty Ork T! Looking forward to seeing you report on Friday's game, especially if you can get some snaps up!

Regards,

Hammer
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 7:23 am

Hammer gave a good hint, hot shot power packs
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:13 am

You also need to CLIMB UP! Elevation is YOUR key to success. See, Orks can't climb! Too stupid... YES, WE BE ORKS! Anyway, make a couple Officers to be your Poor-Man Snipers. Get them Lasguns with Hotshot Power Packs... maybe extend their range. Add a Clip-Harness (to prevent them from falling to their Skull ). Have the climb as HIGH as they can. Then pic your targets off. You get cover saves, so no need to spend on Armor right away.

For the rest of your IGs... autoguns! Make a 1st line of Recruits 10" in front, and start shooting. Single shot, long range. Don't move... Orks need to get close! Once the Orks are in Close Range, WALK the Recruits back and Rapid Fire again. Your 2nd line should WALK back and do the same. Your 3rd line (UP safely) should fire last. Why? 1st and 2nd line must fire closest target. After that, you see what is left. A single Ork could make it to Close Combat? Take him DOWN!!!! By taking the Assault away from the Orks, you force one more Turn for them to get closer. By then you can rinse and repeat.

The Painboy should be a 'priority target'. Then take the Nob!!! If the Nob gets enough XP, he could get T6 easily. If he gets +1 Wound, you have a T5 W3 combat MONSTER!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 pm

The guard hide around the pringles tower while the orks advance around the factory.

PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks Image

The orks surround the guard and charge into close combat.

PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks Image
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice pics.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 2:56 am

sultansean wrote:
One thing though that using the Ice Guards rule it would be nice if it was simply a 50% chance role on a di to use the ambush rule rather than depending on terrain composition since we don’t really have anything besides urban terrain. Maybe I can persuade my opponent to make it a house rule.
This seems like something we need to look at. scratch Could you please open a topic about this on the suggestion box. Please include DETAILS on your observations and suggestions. This way, we may get some feedback from other players before we discuss it among the Staff.

Thanks for the pics... It is COMFORTING to know, that after all those years and war... PRINGLES still part of the healthy diet of all of Mankind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 am

Yes, coconut milk, black beans, chickpeas, tofu, and coca cola all formed essential parts of the terrain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks   PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PPNCLI- First Battle against Orks
Page 1 of 1