Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cpt.VonAwesome

Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads Empty
PostSubject: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 am

I was just wondering what tactics other Ork players were using against strong ranged attack style squads. I'm still feeling out my new Ork squad and I'm continually finding myself gunned down against ranged foes. I'm not dancing around in the open like an idiot either, I just seem so unlucky against ballistic attacks. I try my best to stick to cover and move in for charges but seem to be lacking something. I don't know if its my squad or some tactic/strategy I'm missing out on. I'll post a squad list tomorrow for further review.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 am

Your tactics seems fine, I do the same, but again - I havn't played against the heavy shooters yet.

Hov much terrain are you using? If you play the open fields I could understand your problems Wink and are you playing objectives missions or just head to head?

I, myself, loves to play in densely packed city terrain - where the shooters actually have to think to win Wink
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 am

Few things. First, if you are just plain 'unlucky' against range attacks... the ONLY thing you can do is murder your opponent and offer his mortal remains to the dice-gods. Maybe we need to call V.I.S.I.O.N. (LINK) on you?

Luck aside, how much terrain you are using is critical. This is a skirmish... so packing terrain (be urban or natural) is part of the game. People who come from 40k tend to have a plain table... not good.

Now... have you tried LAYING LOW? It gives you +2 to your Cover Saves... so that 5+ Barricade becomes an amazing 3+!!! You can't shoot... but with your superior BS 2 (HA!), who cares! Read TLRB Vol 1, pages 43-44 for details. So... Turn 1, you Run and end up BEHIND a wall or structure that blocks LoS. Range is so great, very few can shoot. Turn 2, rinse & repeat. Turn 3 WALK and LAY LOW. Turn 4... you are already at LEAST 20" in... maybe 28". Your opponent could be 16" in. This means you could be very close to Assault. You may WALK and LAY LOW (or Shoot) and assault next phase.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Cpt.VonAwesome

PostSubject: Re: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:33 am

This does help actually. I'm still learning how to play and haven't tried laying low at all. I definitely need to abuse this strategy.

I try to play on maps that have heavy terrain and cover. Maybe I just need to not play against Eldar/Tau. Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Hehehe... Tau are fast... but squishy!

Orks have T4... this is MASSIVE (mathematically speaking.) Get some Helmets for your Officers... Mesh Armor would help. BUT, since you play in heavy Cover, Lay Low will be YOUR friend. Think about it... your T4 Boyz could enjoy a nice 3+ Save.

LEARN the WAAAGH! as soon as possible... when you cal it, you get +1 M and +1A for EVERY Ork near the Nob. I have used it affecting my whole MOb... it wauzz purrty messy! Heheheh... you Charge 10" and most Boyz get 2 attacks with 1st hand and 1 with 2nd... and the Nob becomes a MONSTER! Since you are Assaulting, you got 1st Strike, so Eldars don't stand a chance...

One more thing... DO NOT BE AFRAID! What I mean is that hesitation will get you killed. If you send one or two Officers ahead... the enemy has NO CHOICE, but to shoot at them until the Orks are dead.

Instead send the whole Mob... GRETCHINS in front! Everyone out of LoS or Laying Low... the Gretchins just behind Cover. They are small, so they gain +1 Cover AND they become the Target Priority! The enemy has to shot at them... they are cheap and easy to replace... they are in your Mob to be abused, so abuse the Gretchin. Remember, every time you abuse a Grot, a Nob grows mo' teef!

Other VERY evil tactic... Send two Gretchins in front... behind Cover and Lay Low. If Cover is a 5+, the Grot has a 2+ Cover. Sure... the buggers do NOT count as Target Priority and since the save is so low, the enemy will ignore them. Then... WHACK!!!! Have them assault a critical shooter! They won't make a kill, but chances are they will survive and tie up that sharp shooter!

Funny tactic... THROW A GROT! It may not be very effective, but it IS fun! I threw a Grot 8" high... he deviated, but landed in the platform and survived. Suddenly the Eldar shooter had a Priority Target! The Grot did not killed the enemy... but he bought time for my 'Ard Boy to get there and make himself a Fairy Slushy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Cpt.VonAwesome

PostSubject: Re: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks for all the input Mordheimer! I'm gonna try this out and I'll let ya know how it goes with a battle report for my next game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads   Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ork tactics vs. Ranged weapon squads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Squad Lists, Tactics & Strategies-
Jump to: