Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log

Go down 
+10
DoZer
Komfritten
dumdeedum
Narcissus
DeafNala
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
Mordheimer
skavenslayer
Lazi
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lazi

Lazi

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 6:15 pm

@ DoZer: Thanks for input. I know what you mean. But I already made some progress on those legs and I am not sure if I want to redo it completely :/ But I'll think about it. On the other hand it makes it more "prototype-looking" (but that would be a bad excuse Wink ). And the photo doesn't do it justice. IRL it looks a bit better with these unstable "chicken legs".
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Dude, this trash can looks amazing, and it wouldn't look orkish enough if the legs were sturdier, they need that 'wrong' look, it's what makes it right!

If you really want to bring a right look to an ork machine, you could do a counter weight, something on the back, like a "carrot on the stick" only reversed. And by carrot I mean an iron ball or something.

Personally, I think it looks good enough without any human physics on the orkish machine.
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm

balangaz wrote:
Dude, this trash can looks amazing, and it wouldn't look orkish enough if the legs were sturdier, they need that 'wrong' look, it's what makes it right!

If you really want to bring a right look to an ork machine, you could do a counter weight, something on the back, like a "carrot on the stick" only reversed. And by carrot I mean an iron ball or something.

Personally, I think it looks good enough without any human physics on the orkish machine.
I would agree with you if we were talking about Eldar and their wraithbone which defy any physical quantity, or tyranid, which is so far alien that a human mind cannot comprehend or begin to understand how their structures work. However we are talking about Orks, whom have no way of defying NORMAL physical properties, not human physics. Gravity will still effect them the same way it effects us. It bothers me to see that kind of design issue in a vehicle because as soon as the thing stands up it will be extremely hard to maneuver and probably tip over with its first step as the weight is not evenly distributed through the plant leg, resulting in an off balance step.

Either way though its up to Lazi, go with what you like better.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 pm

@Dozer: give it a break! Most of the stuff G.W. puts out is ponderous & implausible...like those stubby wing flying machines for the I.G. & Space Marines or their tanks with guns mounted on the sides of their tanks like some pre-Spanish Civil War horror. Personally I think Lazi's model is an INCREDIBLY COOL piece & in SciFi & Fantasy that outweighs practical engineering every time.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 am

According to the rules, the trash can has a 1 in 6 chance of malfunctioning each turn. So the chances of falling over are quite high! Just Kidding

That being said, rotating the "lower leg" at the backwards "knee" a little and adding some width to the base might make it look a bit more in proportion to the wide body and base. I think it looks good as it is. Sometimes things like this drive me crazy when I paint though. I spend ages on a conversion and painting and then regret not fixing minor details I didn't feel like going back to correct on the original model.

I love this model. It is really cool. I can't wait to see it painted. You could do some really cool source lighting on the gretchin inside the can with glowing instrument panels.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 am

Deaf is right, Dozer, if we abide to simple rules like gravity and balance, a whole lot of the 40k universe will fall apart. Let me play on an universe where normal people carry weapons almost as large as them, all vehicles are the equivalent of clown cars in capacity and legs are irrelevant to balance!

Anyhow, OSL would be fun on the grot!
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 12:48 pm

balangaz wrote:
Anyhow, OSL would be fun on the grot!

I was thinking about it, but I am really scarred of it. I know this event IS supposed to force us to do new things but for now this would be a little bit too much for me. Maybe next time Wink

Anyhow, I was thinking about the legs a decided to give it a try. Making new base won't be a problem and I have some material I can use. And I can use the old legs on another trash kan (I still have some empty paint pots handy Smile ). I want to go for sentinel-like legs (link) but smaller, off course. But right now I have no idea how to pose it. Any thougts?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Stick with the legs as they are...the consensus is it's COOL as is. You will note that the only one saying anything against them is not participating in the P.E.2012.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 pm

LOL! After reading Deaf's comments... I could only think of the "Ohhh" Cat.

I like the small legs... defy CONVENTIONAL engineering... embrace Ork Tinkering! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 am

Wow! Your imagination is fantastic and your ability to put this trash can together with all those parts is amazing. Keep up the great work.
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Just to let you know I was not completely sleeping (quite opposite unfortunately). After recipient revealed to me, I decided to go with the Trash-Kan (it's much more challenging than renegade conversion that was my second option and also I have still lots of parts missing for the bad guy).

Right now, I just have to put some sand and other things to the base and finish the legs (some wires and pistons, otherwise it's almost done). I am still playing with idea of alternate arms (slugga and second buzzsaw), so the recipent will be able to put on the pair he likes/wants. If I have time, I will do it, but now I really don't know. Right now, I can say that the Trash-Kan will be delivered with two additional Grots - the Drillmasta already shown in some older post and other one with very important role that I will try to keep in secret - so at least one thing about the package is suprising Wink

There is still the thing with painting. I hope I'll manage to paint it in some proper orkish style. Any suggestions for colors or techniques would be appreciated.

I'll try to get some picture when there will be some good light. I am usually coming home to late to catch some last daylight and my lamplights suck.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm

U suggest the 'salt technique'....

I have NEVER done it, but it seems fairly easy. It allows you to 'chip' paint... which seems to be a normal thing for Orks. Watch the video (mind her annoying voice...)

Part 1: How to weather a surface with the hairspray and salt

Part 2: How to weather a surface with the hairspray and salt

Part 3: How to weather a surface with the hairspray and salt
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 3:59 pm

That is really interesting tutorial, giving some interesting thoughts. Do you think it will work with paint-and-brush instead of the airbrush? Anyone? Some experiences with that?

Anyway. Some pics I pormised earlier Smile

So first comes the Grot Mek with a drill:
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 DrillMasta004
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 DrillMasta003
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 DrillMasta002

And few picture of almost finished Trash-Kan (well, except all the paint missing Very Happy ):

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan026

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan020

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan024

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan023

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan022

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan021

So that would be all for now. Hope you like it Wink

Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Looks awesome! Really interesting looking model. I think it will look fantastic when it is all finished. The grots add a lot of character. Great work.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 7:31 pm

awesome, I love it.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Gorgeous... I wish I had you send me the model (sorry Narcissus... Lazi is not torturing me! Just Kidding )

On the videos... you do NOT have to use a spray gun. You can use the hair pray directly from the can. I just posted those videos because they look good, and the technique is clear to follow. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 am

Mordheimer wrote:
you do NOT have to use a spray gun. You can use the hair pray directly from the can.

The videos are great (well, except that annoying voice). I know I can use the hait spray from the can, but applying the paint with brush (instead of spray gun) might be tricky - as the salt will tend to dissolve when in contact with watered down paint. I don't know, how much is the paint watered down for use in spraygun, so that why I am asking for some experience Smile But I guess you can use just the hair spray without salt and make some nice rusty effects...
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 am

Dont use a brush - tried and failed horribly! I bought an ordinary (GW base spray) spraycan and it worked just fine. Probably even better with a spraygun for that thin layer =)
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 7:18 am

Wow! That model is look more awesome every time I check this log. Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:27 pm

VERY, VERY COOL! We of Goblin-kind salute you! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Komfritten wrote:
Dont use a brush - tried and failed horribly! I bought an ordinary (GW base spray) spraycan and it worked just fine. Probably even better with a spraygun for that thin layer =)

Well, I am getting confused Very Happy

This is how the lady in video made it:
Black primer, then scorched brown (I guess she used airbrush) and after that some "rusty colors" applied with blister sponge. Then she sprayed it with hairspray and added salt. Afterwards she airbrushed with blue (and some lighter blue) aka the surface color. The she used warm water to remove the salt and paint from the hairspray using different techniques. And then came some finishing works that are not important right now.

My concern is I don't have the airbrush/spray gun (and right now have no money to buy some - there are some other expenditures on horizon that are more important). So I would go like this: Black primer (spray can) followed with scorched brown basecoat (clasic paint applied with brush), some rust effects (applied with blister sponge), hairspray (directly from the can) and salt, surface color (clasic paint applied with brush).

Thing is, I am not sure how would the clasic paint applied with normal brush react with the salt. I guess this technique would also work without salt (it making some interesting efects though).

I hope you understand what I am asking about Very Happy

As to the surface color, I am thinking of some classical orkish red, but I am opened to any thoughts and insights Wink
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 8:57 am

So a little progress. I primed the whole Trash Kan yesterday and did basecoating and rusting on the chasis and pretty much finished the base (well, maybe I'll add some herbs and mushrooms around Very Happy ). Now I am still stuck with the main color. What do you think? Red? Metal? Other colors?
Also I am not sure how to paint the inside. I was thinking rusty plain metal but I am still undecided... Any thoughts?

I will continue with the hairspray technique (still have to try it on some other surface so I do not spoil the actual model)...

Anyway - some WIP pics:

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan027
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan028
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 TrashKan029
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 9:26 am

That's coming along VERY, VERY WELL! I love what you've done so far with the groundwork...all the screws lying around give the impression he's shedding parts as he moves. Keep up the FINE WORK!

On the colors: I have a fondness for red; so that's what I'd go for. A dark metallic would look cool for the interior...it would contrast with the "pilots" skin coloration. clown
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 am

I tried the hsrspray and salt thing with an ordinary brush... do not go there...

I got some decent results with cansprays but it was not great...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 10:46 am

OK... first I want to say that I may ask you for a commission... your Trash-Kan is THE stuff of legends! It reminds me (because of the awkward leg position) to the little robots in the movie Batteries Not Included...

If you haven't watch it... do it! It is family friendly and fun. Yes, structurally speaking the Kan looks like it can topple easily, but I bet a month's Guardsman Imperial Salary that the contraption works 'miracles' in combat. But then again, all Ork stuff does! WAAAGGGHHHHH!!!! I agree with Deaf... the screws in the base make the model look like if it jumps, it could fall apart. AWESOME!!! I love your idea... VERY cool! Thumbs Up

As for the 'salt' technique... take another empty pot as a test. The Prisoner is about trying new things. Do the technique on another pot and see if it works for you (show results for extra credit! Wink ) It is obvious to me that you are pushing your skills beyond what you imagined possible, with EXCELLENT results!

As for colors? Only one color for me... White and Red!!!
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 OrkBoyzB-03
Aim for the symbol in the middle... white 'face' and red 'jaw'. The rest you can leave metal. Just Kidding Hehehehe... sorry. Ummm... I think that rusty red is ALWAYS welcomed (we love red because RED GOES FASTA!) but why don't you aim for a little (like Deaf says) 'tongue and cheek' humor? Why don't you TRY for the Trash-Kan to look like the Grot version of an Ultramarine Dreadnought? Heheheh... the base is Ultramarine Blue, with some rust, dirt, etc. You could make the legs and engine red (with rust, etc). Just an idea.

Thanks for sharing... great model!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next