Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sultansean's PLOG

Go down 
+3
Da Bank
Narcissus
sultansean
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am

Great paint WiP!!! Love the poncho... worked out GREAT! I agree with Narcissus... some washes to make the model's detail stand out. Once it dries, then some highlights (maybe drybrush the poncho).

Thanks for sharing... and making me turn my head sideways! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 8:26 am

Ace work on the greenstuff and cool idea.

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Need Help with Highlighting    Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I regret to inform you that the Outlaw Tough Git has been sighted, now with washes and highlights. I was at first really disappointed with how the highlighting on the poncho turned out since I thought it looked overdone and clumsy but it actually looks ok in the picture so maybe I am being overly hard on myself. The jeans however really improved with a wash of devlan mud and now look like a pair of faded grimy Levi's if I do say so myself. If anyone has any suggestions specifically with regards to highlighting the poncho or for anything else please let me know.

Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4060113

Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4060114
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Masterpiece...I can hear the Clint Eastwood music in the background from Good, Bad and the Ugly.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 6:06 pm

The wash did wonders on the jeans and boots. The jeans look excellent now. I have found when washing metallic surfaces that often two or three consecutive washes (with drying in between) and some scratches with the original metal colour look really good. It eliminates the small areas where the wash pools on flat surfaces and gives a really grimy look.

Highlighting large smooth cloth surfaces like the poncho is really hard. I really struggle with it. To add some depth, you could take the devlan mud, wipe most of the paint off, and then paint ONLY the shadows as a shadow glaze. Build it up in the recesses, folds, and dark areas over a few layers.

Sometimes with cloth highlights I highlight, then wash over it, and then apply another thin highlight over it.

Good work. It is really coming along!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm

You, Sir... are AWESOME!

The jeans, boots and hat... PERFECT!

The Poncho is GOOD. You could try to do what Narcissus said. It is a good tip. If I were you, I go for the GOLD and try it. You will do fine!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 3:37 am

Narcissus's washing, highlighting, washing technique will work well (That's what I did on my prisoners voidsuit).

I have also found that mixing the previous layer, with the highlight 1:1 (nothing fancy) allows you to blend up to the highlight more effectively - but you must keep the mixture fairly wet so that you can 'push' and spread it into a colour gradient up to the highlight. This is really badly explained, but might help (maybe?).

Love the jeans on the guy and the overall feel is very cool!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Great work on the hat.
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I have now done another light wash over top and then tried to build up the shadows a bit more. I think it looks better.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 pm

It is really challenging to highlight those big light areas and still keep it realistic. Pushing the shadows deeper will really help to add depth. It is definitely looking really good. My favourite model of yours so far.
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Allrighty then. The bounty hunter Bruiser Crotchburner is ready to go out an get his man (or alien). I washed over top of my highlights fixed up a couple little spots and did the base. If you have any suggestions now it is too late and you can shove it! (joking I am of course always looking to improve). I think he is looking not bad, I may try and start on something additional but I am moving and starting a new job soon so this might be all that I accomplish.

Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4110131 Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4110132 Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4110133 Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4110136
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm

He is looking VERY good! Congratz!

On the 'additional'... maybe a base to put him on. Nothing complicated... some sand, a wooden sign with Prisoner Exchange, some cactus...

Great conversion!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Looks great. The shadows on the poncho look really good. I love the blue jeans. The basing looks really nice too.

I'm really impressed. I haven't seen too much of your models but I feel like you've pushed yourself on the painting and modelling and basing for this model and it looks great. How did you find it? Are you addicted to greenstuff and Devlan Mud?
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks Guys.

I definitely but more effort into this model than previous ones. It turned out well but I think I am still dedicated to quantity over quality. I found the greenstuff was actually not too bad but something I could improve for sure. And I do like my Devlan mud.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:25 am

... and THAT sultansean is one of the points of the Prisoner Exchange! Think about it... sure, maybe you would experiment with GS and Devlan Mud eventually... but when? You pushed yourself into modeling and painting places you were not familiar and you realized you are BETTER than you thought!

BRAVO! Salute
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Hide your Kids Hide your Wife!   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Tuff Git the Space Ork Cowboy is on the loose, or actually he is not on the loose since he now has a scenic base which just needs a little writing on it. Once again sorry for the sideways pictures.

Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4170170
Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4170168
Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 P4170169
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Scenic Base looks GREAT! Love the little poster!

Suggestion... use PICASA to edit pics. You can rotate them there. Wink

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Ace looking base - really sets the model off.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:57 am

Looks great. You could use some layers of thinned washes to really age that wood...
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 am

Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 Like_a_boss_sticker-p217269681513024420envb3_400
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments. I got him all boxed up since he has a ways to go so I figured I would give him a head start before the 30th.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:05 pm

I guess that means I am not getting him... I thought that would have been pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:00 am

Narcissus wrote:
I guess that means I am not getting him... I thought that would have been pretty funny.
You are not getting any Prisoner... Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 pm

That would have been funny. Just a small note to others not sure if your own mail services have the same rules as Canada post but I found a small box that just fit my mini and it's base inside however it was too small and didn't meet the minimum requirements so it was going to be $60 to ship it but if I but it in a box bigger than 14cm it was 8 dollars. So my recipient now not only gets a prisoner but an extra box as well, maybe they can convert it into a Deathsquads building or something....
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 9:25 am

Wow! that is crazy but guess they are more likely to lose a smaller box?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sultansean's PLOG   Sultansean's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sultansean's PLOG
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next