Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG

Go down 
+6
ClausLars
Lord GreyWolf
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
Narcissus
Matt12z
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt12z

Matt12z

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG Empty
PostSubject: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Lord GreyWolf wrote:
ok FINE

The EVENT IS NOW OPEN

go make but I want a list of all parts used also before and after pics. [and during the process pics as well]

full log on why you chose this and what fun or hates you had on the journey

LGW

Well, since LGW says the event is open, felt it appropriate to start a new plog!

First of all, a shot of the (rather messy) work area, where the magic happens. It's a grave yard for half-finished projects, broken brushes and random ideas.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 003-1

It needs cleaning, I know. But hopefully, this challenge is what I need to recover my mojo and get me back to my creative ways...

So, first, the Squad. As the base, I'm going to use these 9 Tau torsos I've had laid around since the Prisoner Exchange.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 005-3

I'll pair these up with the legs from the empire militia box set.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 010

And thats...as far as I've got in my thinking so far. Truth be told, I'm not too overly keen on the legs - they're a bit too thin, and I wonder whether they need bulking out with a little greenstuff. Not being a master sculpter, I'm nervous about taking on such a hefty challenge without much more prep time. I think I'm going to sit down with paper and pencil, and have a proper think about what I'm hoping to achieve. I know that I am tempted to try using a rubber mold to cast up some more unique heads, but that involves sculpting a head I like, and learning how to cast a rubber mold. All of which, I don't know if I'll have enough time to sort out...

So, onto the single mini.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 004-2

This is a a Scibor Miniature, the link to which can be found here. And if I'm honest, I hate it. I bought it, thinking it would be really cool, but while the model is nice, it's huge in comparison to Terminators. It's weapons are a pain, and there wasn't as much detail as you hope for. Plus, the more I thought asbout painting it, the more I didn't want to. I started by giving it a white basecoat and then...left it. Over time, it's become a practice model, and nothing more. What I do love about it, and the main reason I got it, was that the face is awesome. So, with the challenge, I decided to do the sensible thing and chop it up.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 012

It's been butchered. Theres no other way to describe it. The legs are gone, the fronts gone, the backs gone...all thats left is the head and a hollowed out, cut down torso. The idea is this will be a base for the Lamentor Space Marines Chapter Master, Malakim Phoros. The idea is to combine him with the Terminator legs from the Dark Angels Upgrade Spru, and the back pack from the Black Templars Chapter Master.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 013

Excuse the dodgy photo.

Obviously, he needs a lot of work doing. I've added greenstuff, making the legs a bit more power armour-like, and started the work of bulking out the body.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 015
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 017
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 019

So yeah, that's as far as I've got. More to come!

As always, comments and constructive criticism welcome,

Sparrow2z

Last edited by Matt12z on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 am

I can't believe you have no replies yet. This looks very promising. I am interested to see what you do with the kroot torsos. What squad will they be for?
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 am

Sweet project! I like the progress on the terminator dude so far!
Curious to what you're going to do with those Tau militia models! Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks! I was beginning to wonder whether or not I'd done something wrong. Glad to see the work has gone down well!

@Narc / Gatlag - I don't know what squad at the moment. I'm going to have a look through my printed TLRB later (I know, I'm a nerd) and make a decision then.

Will update again once I've done a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 pm

The terminator looks interesting - It'll be good to see what you come up with.

The legs and bodies suggested Human Gue'Vesa (Tau Human Auxiliary Troops - Traitors!). They would be similar to IG, but probably more elite (hellguns etc) than regular IG.

Now a Space Marine chapter that had turned renegade and joined the Tau would be a cool project - maybe another kitbash opportunity just opened up!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

great start can you keep a running list of parts and where you got the parts sort of like a recipe so others can also go get those parts and make the same thing your currently doing.

looking forward to seeing your end squad and mini...

Great work...

LGW
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 am

@Laney - Do you mind awfully if I steal that idea? I had a look through the Chaos squad entry, and have had a few ideas of how to do a Tau / Gue'Vesa squad led by a renegade marine...Thanks man! That's really helped.

@LGW - I was gonna hold off on putting a complete parts list up until the models were done, as I'm frequently changing my mind regarding parts to use. But if it'd be helpful to others, I will put up a running list each time I do a model update!
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Apologies for the double post.

Just uploaded some pics and wanted to get some feedback regarding the composition of the model. It's just been blu-tacked together (hence why the arm appears to be pulling away from the hand), but I can't decide whether a normal marine arm/ shoulder pad looks to be in proportion to the rest of the body. I know it can be done - just look at the space marines John Blanche put together in this months edition of white dwarf - but I don't know whether or not I'm convinced. What do people think?

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 002-2
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 003-2

Remember, it's very much still a work in progress...
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 pm

I like the pose with the sword and scabbard but I am not sure his arm could physically get the sword out in that position as it is so long. It is a very cool idea for a pose. I like the movement in his legs too.
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 pm

The handle is plenty long, he might be able to manage it if he chokes up. This pose might be the initial movement in which he finds the weapon, next would be sliding his hand up to the crossguard and actually drawing it.
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks for the feedback. Looking again at it, I think I will keep the pose - my thanks to @ClausLars and @Narcissus for helping me think through it! I still need to do work on the body, and I need to source a right arm from amidst my bits box...but I think I'm getting there!

On to the squad.

I've decided to go with a chaos squad. As per Laney's suggestion, the "cultists" will be Human Gue'Vesa, who have been lured by the greater good. The Saboteurs will be represented by drones. The Chosen will be represented by tau etherals (maybe), and the aspiring champions will be fire warriors, who have been "beefed" up to look more imposing. (similar to what I did for the prisoner exchange). And of course, the Chaos Space Marine will be represented by a renegade Space Marine!

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 003-3
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 002-3

My idea for the marine is that he's a Lamenter Space Marine, so I'll paint him in similar colours to the rest of my Lamenters. He's turned his back on the imperium and his brother marines after becoming disallusioned. I'm also playing with the idea of him slowly succumbing to chaos, which I'm planning on representing through painting his armour to look like it's slowly becoming corrupted....As for game rules, I'm going to give him the Mark of Khorne, which is represented by the fact that, as a member of a blood angels successor chapter, he is slowly descending into the grip of the black rage...

Anyway, more to come. Will begin posting bitz lists when I'm a little more sure of where the bitz in my bitz box came from (the sack of hands, for example, I think came from another company, not GW, and so I need to find that out...)
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Impressive butchering of a model Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 2037273428

And you are quite right, the head really is the highlight on that model. I don't think the sword is an issue as a scabard is not firmy attached but hangs loosely in some straps.

Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 pm

Quick update, as I'm currently away from home and aware I've not updated this is a while. However, I do just want to reassure others that I've not forgotten, nor have I been inactive in the modelling front.

The big change is that the single mini has lost the sword arm. The model had a tumble (probably a willing act if vandalism by one if my cats) and the sword has snapped in two. So instead, I've used an old terminator captain's arm and put together another arm.

Hard to explain. I'll update later this week with a few pictures!

I hope...

Matt
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 3:53 am

Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 am

As promised, pics of the work in progress.

First of all, after it's tumble, I replaced the old arm with the old terminator captain arm.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG IMG_0768_zps2d3bd486

Secondly, I made a new right arm and weapon.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG IMG_0769_zpsa08c8761

After a bit of pinning, swearing and some threats, the arm looks like this:

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG IMG_0772_zps3c6abb1b

It still needs some greenstuff and a little more fiddling, but eventually, it'll look like this:

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG IMG_0775_zps64f8bdfd

So yeah, this is where I'm going with the model.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG IMG_0774_zps777359fd
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG IMG_0776_zpscbdf1cee

What this project has highlighted is my inexperiance with greenstuff. In my head, I had a great idea to sculpt chest details onto the model, but I don't really know where to start. What I may do, if I'm unable to sculpt it, is paint it...maybe...we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Starting to look better! That head is indeed very cool!
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 am

@Gatlag - thank you! Hoping to have some more progress later...
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 7:03 am

Matt12z wrote:
@Gatlag - thank you! Hoping to have some more progress later...
I'm hoping as well!
Because this one is inspiring me to start with my project! (probably a chaos marine to lead my chaos squad)
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 am

The build is coming along nicely. Good plan to make use of the head (it is a nice sculpt) and the geared headed weapon is a clean halberd conversion. Is the model a Lamentor techmarine? It almost seems a waste to use such a sharp looking piece if he isn't; really makes me think Mechanicus. While I'm on about the halberd make sure you kill that moldline running down the haft before you move to prime/paint.

If you have limited sculpting experience this is a solid first time out. It looks like a challenging undertaking (power armour and the clean rounds it entails can be a real hag).

The one caution I'd pass on is to look at the size of your torso. You may hesitate because you already carved up quite a bit of model but unless you reduce it a bit more it may cause some difficulties down the line.

As you build up clean surfaces with GS it is going to pad/ bulk up the trunk a fair bit. As it stands the existing material is right on the edge of where it should be if you plan on sculpting a standard size chest. Blending partial layers of GS into jagged resin will cause some frustration when shooting for a smooth finish. If you take it down further you may find it easier. Use of negative space is one of the sculpt concepts that people overlook when sharing tutorials.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 2:49 am

The techmarine is really coming together well - it's a stretching conversion, but starting to look great - excellent use of that resin cog part to make the blade (the power fist was a good choice too).

I'd better get my models up on the board as well!

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 am

@Gatlag - Glad to hear it's inspiring you Smile it's always good to hear when things are appreciated!

@horrid - Thanks for the advice. Originally, I didn't plan on it becoming a techmarine, but that's how it's developing.

@Laney - Thanks man! The conversation is stretching me!

Right, on to an update.

I'll be honest, I'm not the happiest at the moment.

I followed horrid's advice, and took away a little more body, and most of the green stuffing. I used plasticard to make a broken collar around the neck to give a clearer impression of armour. But something still niggled at me, and I realised I was unhappy with the axe as it was.

So I changed the axe. This is partly because I was unhappy with the shaft and the way it was assembled. None of it lined up flush. The more I looked at it, the more it seemed...wrong.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 043_zps8cd2d96b

I mocked up a second axe, using a khorne bezerker arm, another axe head from maxmini, a chainsword power bit, and the base from a power maul. I liked the way it looked like the model was hobbling, showing his age. But when I took the above photo and looked at it, and immediately saw a problem. The arm was too low where it joined the shoulder pad.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 053-1_zpsc60e37dc

So I changed that, but I'm still unhappy with it. For one thing, I'm still struggling to make the shaft line up straight. For example:

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 054-1_zpsaf5179eb

It just looks...wrong. I'm at a loss really what to do. I like the composition, but I'm unhappy with the details. I need to work on the axe. I'm also going to have a look at mocking up a techmarine's backpack.

This model, when finished, is going to be HUGE, compared to other marines...

Matt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Had a hour spare just now and I think I've cracked the axe arm! So yeah, happy boy. On to the pics!

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 056-1_zpsc0e672e4

I've made use of the arm from the same modelthat the head and torso came from. This is good, as it's a better scale for the rest of the model. I've also replaced the fiddly plastic shaft with an old drill piece. This has given me a straighter axe handle, and has allowed me to better line up the model. I've still got more work to do on the model, but I am genuinely happy with the axe arm. Now it just needs cleaning up.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG 057-1_zpsd4732d1f

Trust me, it looks better in real life. Apparently.

As always, comments and criticism welcome.

Matt

Last edited by Matt12z on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update and new pictures)
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

It looks really good. Very menacing looking.

Do you have a home photobooth setup? I would love to see the final conversion and paintjob with some really nice pictures.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

I really like the Axe very cool and deadly.

The torso looks great now that you have done the collar part. I'd look for some kind of shield you could add to the chest to make it "Pop"

remember plastic melts and its one easy way to join to piece of plastic together is heat one up and press together. if they do come apart you'll have created a nice join point as the heated end will mould around the other colder part.

The best thing to remind yourself is more isn't always best. [less is best] if you feel you need something else then be creative with the base.

The next stage is the colour scheme which will give even more life to your creation.

good luke looking forward to seeing it painted up.

LGW
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Just wanted to pop in and agree, this guy is looking really great!

I also love the idea of the tau/IG squad conversion and would love to see any progress that might happen with those!

Great work!
-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:18 am

Thanks all. I'm really enjoying the work that's needed, and it's pushing me out of my comfort zone.

@Narcissus - Regarding a home photo booth...Kinda? I have a very primative set up - I made a small light box using a cut up cardboard box and tin foil, lit by a bedside lamp, and photos taken by an iPhone. Money kinda prevents me from getting anything more...elaborate. I'll take some photos of the set up soon, and I'll use it to take some better lit photos of the model in the next week or so.

@LGW - When you say you're looking for some kinda shield to go on the chest...what did you have in mind? I am aware of the plastic melting theory, but I'm unsure if I want to test it on this model. That being said,the plastic component of this model (legs and a chainsword power bit) are overshadowed by the resin and metal components being used. Color scheme will be for the Lamenters chapter.

@rhuntar - Thanks man! Truth be told, I've put the Tau/IG squad on the back burner for now. I honestly thought I'd have enough time to do both, but it turns out that between work (I'm a minister, so December is nuts for me) and a desire to do this properly, I only really have time to do this for the competition. But I am gonna come back to that soon...

Right, back to work!

Matt

Last edited by Matt12z on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next