Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Town of Novac.

Go down 
+13
cody20
Narcissus
Lord GreyWolf
ClausLars
Colonel Prius
Laney
dumdeedum
Arachas
Gatlag Stonetooth
Chuchosky
edward
Mordheimer
Komfritten
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Arachas

Arachas

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:04 am

I see your point about color, though. Then again ruined cities are grey by default. Wink

Perhaps you could add some plants along the road, that would give it color. And since you've alreadt painted the yellow/red, I'd just keep it that way. It's cool, really.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:07 am

Brilliant job!

Really impressed by the quality and speed of this scenery build - keep it up!

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 7:27 am

Ok finished the crossroads, and continued on the industrial building. As you can see I painted the edge of the pavement (that was the word!) grey and yellow... comments on that please:

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-07-27131923

Oh! An another thing I found out painting the edge of the pavement: I have to make the turns and crossroads to both start with a yellow stripe... and not (and remember to paint stripes on the road...

I also found an old industrial silo, and smacked it on a board, to integrate it into the forthcomming city Smile :

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-07-27132048

Now to clean up my working table... how does it get so messy?! Well, an hour of off-time cleaning up, will definately speed up the process (because then I will be able to find my tools...).
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 am

That's it: I'm making roads, too. YOU ROCK!
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 8:51 am

That really is some awesome work! The grey on the pavement is better than the red I think, it blends a bit more and doesn't distract as the red does. Hmm, it is inspiring me to also start building scenery again....
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 am

Sweet stuff! I really like your roads!
Btw I see you have taken the avatar, suits you well! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 am

First I apologize for the poor quality of the pics, but it's not that important for what I want to show you.

Ok I've been working a little, and were able to do some ground work. You should be able to get the "feel" of what the potential is in this terrain - I am, meself, very happy about the potential dynamics, and the ability to make really "clusteret" and "dense" cityscapes.

A kind of overview:

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-07-28112656

And here I placed the (not finished) industrial bits together, to create some more dense terrain. I should be carefull ( I see now ), not to pack the pieces *too* much, disabling my mini's to do actual warfare scratch

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-07-28112730

Next update will probs be after the weekend, as I have to attend some familiy soiree (or something).

Last edited by Komfritten on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:40 am

For fluff-reasons I'm working on street signs, and am trying to figure out a good way to make "placeholders" to place lamp-post and street signs in, so they can be taken off and moved around to match the story of the game.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 am

If I may offer a suggestion for future projects: tall buildings and catwalks. Tons and tons of fun during games.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 6:42 am

Ya - that is the way to go. Next couple of buildings will be more than 2 levels. Any suggestions on how to make catwalks / overhangs and such, look like they were made of metal? I can't seem to get the hang of it! And splashing boltgun metal is *not* the way Wink tryed it - it all comes down to textrure...

Oh, and I started painting my sign for Wilfrieds Waste-O-Matic. Every city should have one:

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-07-28123823
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 am

Look at the guy in the brush-cup (the Pepsi one)... that is EXACTLY how I felt when I saw your terrain! FU** YEAH!!! It is SUPERB!

Arachas is right (but don't tell him... after a year, I just won my first argument/debate with him 30 secs ago and I need him to feel defeated and crushed! Twisted Evil )... you will need elevation. As you play more, you will start thinking more three-dimensionally... going UP to gain tactical advantages. And NOTHING says EPIC BOSS FIGHT like having both your Leaders fighting in Close Combat in a 3rd Floor rook (whoever gets down may FALL!!!!)

Some inspiration... KEEP UP AMAZING WORK!!!

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 Post_Apocalyptic_England_town_by_indie_rec

SUGGESTION: If you are going for the post-apocalyptic look, you need some DRY grass growing in some places and some DUST (drybrush!) in some places (helps minimize the shine of new paint and breaks the monotony of all-concrete town.)

IDEA: This will earn me a 1st Class Ticket to hell... but here I go. Make a devastated playground. Shocked It will humanize your town (DAMN!!! THERE WERE LITTLE KIDS THERE?!?!?! Shocked ) A couple of swings (maybe broken), a slide, etc... Think of the scene in Terminator 2 with the playground....

SEE?!?! Your ART is inspiring all of us! Keep it up man!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:55 am

Hmm I'll have to think of how to make the sky...
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Ok, been away some time for real-life reasons, yeah have to have them too Wink

I've started this piece up, because of the advice to get some elevation:

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 F8e5b6f1

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 Ef6de067

And smacked an old building on a module, just to get some work done:

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 C7647bc2

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 49e99dae

So hopefully I'll get some work done over the next couple of weeks.

(I know the pics are crap, but my phone is so scratched, and my camera were out of power... exuses i know! ... but I'll promise to make some good ones soon)
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Starts looking good. My advise... make sure the terrain is 'playable'. I mean, if I had a guy all the way in the top floor (2nd photo)... can he SHOOT at the ground level (24")? If so... it means that you will need 3 TURNS to reach me. Is that fair? Now... I give my guy a Long-Las Rifle and add a Scope for 36" range. He could spend the WHOLE game up there, shooting at people without a SINGLE chance of getting shot. Now I add Cameoline and/or Skills that allow him to take a Cover Save. You never get me.... not because I'm good but because the terrain cheated you of a fair chance.

I like the 2nd building VERY much! Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 3:19 am

Hmm get the point concerning the chimney - or whatever that thing is.

I think I solved it by introducing more versality into the height Wink I do not have any more magnets at this time, but I did this:

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-03090647-1

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-03090720

I think I will use the full height when the terrain allows for it, using gangways and 'bridges' between buildings. And when the fluff demands it Smile
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 4:05 am

There is so much win in this thread. Smile

Great job man. I wish I had your terrain making skills.

Be sure to add some cover to the top levels. Barrels, debris... something. Or else your guys will be nothing but targets!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 7:05 am

MUCH better! Now the tower seems 'reachable'... and looks COOL! On top, you could make a (removable) radar dish (communication array!), surround the platform with a security wall (provides light cover and looks realistic!) and have a permanent ladder (on the right... near the other roof)... then add another ladder from that 'floor' to the one below.

On the left of the model, you could make a gated chain-link fence... the gate broken and the fence torn in some spots. This simulates that at some point, this could had been a 'secured' facility.

AWESOME WORK! Can wait to see MOAR!!!

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 1230284982488kh8
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 am

Kick arse terrain!
And like Billy said: Moar!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 11:51 am

Quick update:

Added the start of a com. array.

A low wall on ground lvl.

Have commenced work on some sandbags for the tower level.

Have added cardboard at the back of the windows. They are to be painted black, and barred with tree and metal pieces.

The door is a first try to make a metal re-inforced door.

The line just under the "roof" is to be painted red on metal - just for flawor.

Added some "Pipelines" out of the building - have yet to find out why they need that at a communications array...

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-03152837

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 pm

You are made of 100% ppure WIN! It looks playable already... WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 am

Denmark is not too far away. So... BRING THE STUFF OVER! NOW!!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:01 am

Sweet! More pics!
Looking great so far!
Komfritten wrote:
Added some "Pipelines" out of the building - have yet to find out why they need that at a communications array...
Every building in the dark future should have pipelines! Cool
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Komfritten wrote:

Gatlag has a valid point, and grimdark is really all the explanation you need. If you want some more realism it's easy. Cooling water. A comm array that big would have plenty of electronics (think big banks of servers) which make tons of heat, enough that'd they'd screw up thier circiutry. To solve the problem they dig a well (or it could go to a set of underground pipes) and pump in nice clean cool water. Going to pipes would make more sense I think, since you made two then it's probably supply and return, and if you are taking from a well, there wouldn't be any need to return it.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention how awesome everything looks. I could work for a year and have little hope of matching what you've done in weeks (if it has even been that long).
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Gatlag Stonetooth wrote:
Every building in the dark future should have pipelines! Cool

QFT, haha!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 am

OK been laying low for a few days, but here is what I've done so far:

- The windows have been barred

- The "metal stripe" around the house have been painted but lack weathering.

- Put op some permanent ladders to reach the higher levels

- Put some pipeline in to add some features.

I still need to:

- weather it down

- find out what to do with the front entrance pipelines.

- put up some propaganda posters and commecials Wink

- put up some sandbags on the higher level, to give some cover.

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-10112247

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-10112334

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-10112401

The Town of Novac. - Page 2 2011-08-10112440

There it is - stay tuned for more Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Town of Novac.
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next