Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)

Go down 
+6
Arachas
Da Bank
DoZer
Laney
Mordheimer
jd3
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jd3

jd3

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Empty
PostSubject: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Guys, anyone remember me?

I've been shooting Dozer and Mordheimer pics of my GK army the past few weeks as I have made amazing (for me anyway) progress on actually painting them. I told Mord that I would start up a thread here for fun, criticism, and just to share.

I believe I am insane when it comes to 40k, as when I choose an army i want to be able to field pretty much everything the codex has to offer. With GK this has ended up being quite a task because of the Coteaz FOC shift and my love for "warband" type lists.

I started out slowly with a few power armor purifiers/strike squad minis and then plowed into termies and paladins. Then I really took a break from 40k because my life got busy and I was playing RIFT the MMO.

I kicked the MMO for a girlfriend, and while you might think that would be a fairly equal time commitment she actualy thinks 40k is cool and likes that I paint them. I think she's a keeper fellas, she digs all kinds of sci-fi and she's hot. Very Happy

So anyway I've been collecting odds and ends off of ebay and pulling stuff out of my 25+ year collection of random 40k shite after having placed a large order for the new plastic kits for GK when the 'dex rolled out. I also picked up over 30 GK terminators while the value was still low prior to the leaked dex hitting the net. I'm afraid to total up what I spent, but in general the army is probably worth more than what I put into it as I got a lot of good deals.

I'm going to post a ton of pics to this thread, but I will probably start out slowly and do it by bits as I have time to add new pics. I just uploaded like over 100 photos to photobucket. As I get more work done, I will post WIP photos too.

Ok so here are some raw numbers so you guys understand just how sick I am.

1. 189 total models (and rising)
  2. over 8k total points just with WYSIWYG upgrades
  3. 6 rhino/razorbacks 2 Storm Ravens 2 NDK (not even assembled yet) 5 dreds 2 Chimera 1 Land Raider
  4. 44+ Terminators
  5. Something close to 60+ Inquisitorial henchmen
  6. close to 30 power armor GK

Looking at that mass of models, unpainted, makes me stress like Mordheimer having to rewrite the DS rule book.Shocked

It looked something like this below...
MORDHEIMER EDIT: Click on the little pictures for AMAZING larger photos... GREAT details!

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0247

Now I love to have unique models, so I kit-bash a lot. I also like to use FW bits or use really old bits. So I started by making a few feature pieces.

First up my actual Draigo order came in with a horrible miscast on the stormshield so i decided to turn him into a Librarian.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0244

I have around 6 of the first run GKT so I decided to make these guys the basis of my paladin squad. By using the newer arms and/or hacking the left one off at the shoulder pauldron, then combining that with a a new plastic kit bit I was able to get some decent results.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0109 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG01138k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0227

Even before I knew Falcions were an option for GKT (or discovered that they suck balls) I created this guy, well just because he looks soo badass. Needless to say he is the only Falcion armed model in my collection..
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG01378k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG01388k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0136

This is a more recent kit-bash. It may look like I just used the plastic kit bits, but looks can be decieving. This one took some work, and while I may not play with him except in high point games I just love the mini now.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG04038k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG04058k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0404

Some random, recently built Terminators.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0402

Here are my two Venerable Dreads, the weaponry is/will all be magnitized.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG02648k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0260

No GK should be unable to field Psyfleman Drednoughts. I didnt like the FW autocannon arms and wanted more of a mecha look than the conversions I've seen, so I used the Cadian autocannon bits and cut & fiddled with them until I go the look I wanted. I have enough bits to field three armed with dual twin-linked autocannons.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03078k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03098k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0308

Oh, since my Draigo was hosed by GW I enlisted Mordheimer to help me get this to be my counts-as Draigo.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0248

Ok these guys are a little bit out there and are incomplete in these photos, but I see potential in using techmarines with conversion beamers in combo with servo skull spam. The one techmarine is on a track because I'm experimenting with more machine-than-man techmarine model.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03928k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0391

One of the more popular army builds for GK is using henchmen as troops because of the FOC shift you get with Coteaz. This is one of my more finished miniatues in this army at the moment.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03438k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03448k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03458k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03468k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0376

One of the more common henchman setups is the stormbolter armed GEQ statline troops. To me this was freaking ridiclous! To a guard level trooper a stormbolter should be a heavy weapon! So I dug through my old stuff until I found enough Squats to convert. So, probably my favorite squad in my army are these, stormbolter armed Squats. They, IMO, would be strong enough to carry them at least.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG03108k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0380

I have also acquired a bunch of arbites for use as warrior acolytes and crusaders.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG04068k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0396

I am going to tease you all with a few of the photos I have of some (mostly, still WIP) painted minis. I will post more in the next week or so.
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG04168k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG04158k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG04198k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0415

Also this is what kicked off my painting spree. I highly recommend, if you have the means, you pick these up...
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG02968k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Th_IMAG0295

So I hope you enjoy what I have posted so far! I do appreciate tips, techniques, and criticism!

Except from you Dozer! May your dice forever be 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) 83674 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) 83674 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) 83674 . affraid
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:30 pm

You ARE insane! I guess I never really grasped how much you been painting, from a pic here and another one there. WOW! I did NOT enjoyed the torture of the little photos... until I saw how many you had. WOW!!!!! I put two large, the others I left tiny.

My favorites are the Arbites... maybe because I have read so much about them for the research on the AA Squad! Just Kidding

Only constructive criticisms I have...
A) Base the models. Complete the illusion.
B) Do NOT run out of steam!!!! This is a GREAT looking army... you CAN finish it!

Keep up posted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:13 am

Wow! That is a pretty extensive GK army. I've got around 1500 (mostly unpainted). Good use of the Hector Rex model - he's a perfect grandmaster!

I'm particularly interested in the henchman army - have you thought of using any other models to build up the numbers of crusaders/deathcult? I've thought about a Deathwatch/Ordo Xenos army of my own (using a grey knight purgation squad as a counts as deathwatch squad).

Keep us updated (more close ups would be cool too).

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Quote :
Keep us updated (more close ups would be cool too).

Quote :
I did NOT enjoyed the torture of the little photos...

The thumbnails are links to full size photos. They work for me with IE9.

I found out they do not work on my girlfiend's mac, so I will fix it when I get the time.

Quote :
I'm particularly interested in the henchman army - have you thought of using any other models to build up the numbers of crusaders/deathcult? I've thought about a Deathwatch/Ordo Xenos army of my own (using a grey knight purgation squad as a counts as deathwatch squad).

Why a purgation squad? For massed Psycannons?

Unfortunatley the eclesiarch crusaders and the arbites with shields are all I could come up with, but with a radiacal Xenos inquisitor I dont see why xenos tech couldnt be used with any thing that fits your theme. Say necron bits or something or other.

For DCA I really considered being able to do a xenos themed army and using Harlequin models. It's very fluffy that the harlequins could be helping an Inquisitor, not for the better of the Imperium mind you.

In most armies I have found one squad of 4 DCA, 2 Crusaders, a HQ, and two WA with melta bombs to be sufficent for any counter assault. The WA meltabombs are important because with out them you are likely to get tank shocked into a bad situation.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:06 pm

I thought a purgation squad, because the astral aim would represent their superior bolters (psychic powers I can pass off as a librarian in the ranks). It just seemed the best fit.

Cheers Laney:D
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Laney wrote:
I thought a purgation squad, because the astral aim would represent their superior bolters (psychic powers I can pass off as a librarian in the ranks). It just seemed the best fit.

I'd consider a way to get purifiers in, I know it's a stretch but so is using any grey knight squad. Astral aim lets you shoot through stuff that's a pretty strange libby power where as equiping halbreds can just be represented by super fast reflexes of the Death Watch team and cleansing flame is (to me) a more devastating power for a libby to have. Best to make it modeled as two psykers if you want to keep it real, as in losing casualties if you remove the libby model it wont feel "right" to cast the power. I'd consider using incinerators as well as they can easily be represented by flamers, although psycannons are really the schiznit... so hard call.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:35 pm

jd3 wrote:
The thumbnails are links to full size photos. They work for me with IE9.
I know how they work... silly man! By now you should know how pathetically weak I am... clicking hurts my finger! I like to just see stuff without effort. HA! They work fine!

If you ever feel the need to get rid of some of your Arbites, I know an EXCELLENT orphanage here in Elizabeth City, North Carolina! Wink
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 am

Mordheimer wrote:

If you ever feel the need to get rid of some of your Arbites, I know an EXCELLENT orphanage here in Elizabeth City, North Carolina! Wink

Man actually finding the Arbites for a reasonable price on ebay took a lot of patience and time. I ended up with two of the boxed sets, which may still be orderable from GW. The rest I had to just hit the right auctions but it was really hard to not buy the over priced ones.

As for the poor orphans, /e cough MORDHEIMERS /e cough.... well I have just enough and none to spare!
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 3:21 am

Ok here are some more photos.

Here is some of the initail work when I was just seeing how my shceme would look.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG01678k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG01668k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG01648k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG01618k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG01598k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG01608k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG02278k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0228

Vendreads,not painted.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG02608k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0264

The GK I had around the beginning of Summer.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0291

Psyfleman Dreadnought kitbash.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03098k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03078k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0308

Coteaz

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03448k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03458k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0377

A 1500 point list I like to play. 4 razorback, 2 rhinos, coteaz, DCA &crusaders, 4 5 man strike squads w/psycannon, a vindicare, 10 squats with stormbolters, and 2 dual ac psybolt dnoughts.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0363

Random Henchman Shots..

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03788k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03748k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03738k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03698k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03818k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03798k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03808k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03808k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03948k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03938k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03948k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03968k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03958k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04018k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04148k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0415

Terminators..

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG03858k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0405

Some of my more completed minis..

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04168k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04128k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04148k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0415

I'm going to have to do some more work soon to make more photos. Smile

Last edited by jd3 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:58 am

Those are LOTS of Termies! And I saw some Squats there too! Go little guys!
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Here are a few I took tonight. This pretty much catches the thread up to date. It will be raining this week so I hope to do a random HQ or somethings worthy of detail.

I know I'm not the best painter, but this is the best job I've done to date. I do want advice though, I feel like I'm right there with painting and I just need to know a few more techniques and tricks to take it to the next level.

I'm looking forward to using all of these. I like the subtle decorations rather than go for all the FW doors, hatches, ramps, etc.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0454

My Modrack. The left arm is magnetised so I can use him as a GM with heavier weaponry.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0453

Ordos Xenos Inquisitor with conversion beamer.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0452

Techmarine with servo skulls and henchmen.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0450

Inquisitor Thraxx, Ordo Malleus with Daemonweapon. I painted this guy 14 years ago and he was the Tratior Inquisitor Thraxx, so now I guess Im playing him in earlier in his career.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0446

The various inquisitors I can field except for the Ordos Xenos above.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0444

My Chimeras. Both Original kits frome the 90's one's got the FW HB turret. I really like them with two HB because of the redundancy.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0442

Imperial Assassins all embarrasingly WIP.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0441

Servitors and Hive gang henchmen (err women).

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0440

My henchmen tend to fall in one of three categories: Eclesiarchy, Escher Gangers, or Arbites. There are DCA though and by the Emporer's shorthairs they are amazing.

Psyker Battle Squad(s). Sorry about the bare metal.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0439

Eclesiarch Henchmen. In total there are 12 Arco Flagellents, I didn't put them all into the photo.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0437

This is a staple squad for me in a lot of armies. It's 4 DCA, 2 Crusaders, and 2 meltabomb warrior acolytes. This is a very cheap, amazingly effective counter assault squad. It's also very WIP.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0435

I really can't get enough of the Squats, so here's more STUNTIE!

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0434

Here is my brotherhood champion.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04338k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04328k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0431

Here are a few of the amry as a whole.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04308k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04298k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04288k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04268k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04258k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04248k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0423

This is the last one, but I think it's my favorite. I think I may paint this one up tomorrow. She's just a bolter henchgirl, but there is something very anime in the out of prportion guns.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0456

Well there you go folks, that's my WIP Grey Knights, and I'm saying goodbye to a whole lotta nights; sacrificed to the cruel gods of paint and drybrushing

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 am

So I had a few hours tonight to paint but I knew I'd be inturrupted a lot so I just managed to get a little bit of basing done. I have a 1.5k tourney in two weeks and I have 20 Strike squad Gk to paint as well as 2 Psyfle Dreds, and 6 Rhino/Razorbacks. I'll probably be lucky to be much passed based honestly.

Here are the marines & dreds hit with reaper tarnished silver thinned out enough for the airbrush. Actually though I've found fine tip AB tips and metalic paints are a PITA! The flecks of metal jam up the brush quite often.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04578k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0458

Here is the little bit I accomplished tonight. Although I took a few close ups of my brotherhood champion next to them so you can see where the scheme will be going.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04598k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04608k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04618k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0462

Good night fellas!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 am

OK... enough of this. YOU MUST REVEAL SECRETS!!!! Smack

Are you priming with the airbrush? If so... with what?!? Are you using a two-tone scheme for your metallics? I mean, use a darker metal (like boltgun) on all the model and then a lighter metal (like mithril) from the top, to create instant highlights? How many coats of red you had to do?

You are making table quality SUPER fast... then you go higher quality from there. GREAT job. Ohhh... I can see a smudge of red on the Dread's left-upper canon. WHAT! I had to find something wrong... no way I let you get away with a grade of PURE AWESOME without you spilling the beans! Wink
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Ok.. After I got the airbrush my technique has been to use the Reaper Master Series silvers. It has Blackened Steel, Tarnished Silver and I think True Silver.

I primed almost everything with a very light coat of GW's black.

For the terminators, vehicles, dreds, and power armor I mixed mostly Tarnished Silver with some True Silver. Then 1 part paint to 1/2 part distilled water and 1/2 acrylic paint thinner. That goes into the airbrush pot.

A few passes with the AB (and tons of time cleaning it out to clear jams) and you get the most amazingly thin coat of a moderate to dark silver color. I tried to put a little more color on the tops of the models, but I am not sure it is noticeable.

I then use blackwash in recesses for deep shadow, and on areas that the wash really pulls out details like the wording on the GK shoulder pads, knees, chest, etc.

Next is foundation painting. For the red I use Mecharite Red, Deneb Stone is for the lighter areas like the force weapons, and Khemri Brown for parchment and skulls.

The red after the foundations is layer upon layer of blood red thinned out a lot with water. The darker reds get applied as shadows and the just make a darker based for the brighter reds and make rich looking shadows. Some edges (like the storm bolters) get some thin orange and yellow highlights, but again I go over them with more thinned out blood red until I achieve the bangin red you see on the more finished models.

I've found the only way to get a nice red is through a thin coat layering method and I love it on the GK. The typical GK look is kind of dull and I really like the red because it draws the eye quite a bit it’s a bright but deep looking finish. Eventually I may do some hard edge highlights to the guns and robes, but I don’t want to "orange" the red so I'm no sure what I want to try yet.

I then use bleached bone and white for the parchment & skulls with some Delvan Mud wash in the folds or creases, I then methodically black line with a 0/40 and very little wash on the brush to keep the line as thin as possible. I like to black line a lot, it gives great definition, especially when you are working with metallic colors.

Ok for the silver, I am actually using a three tone system. I use the True Silver on the edges of the armors. I don’t dry brush it on, I use the0/30 or 0/40 and draw very little paint across the edge. I only do this to the arms, collar, back of the torso, and the tops of the shin armor.

For the lower to mid part of the model I actually use the blackened steel thinned, but not runny, and draw the 0/5 or in some cases the 0/30 across the deeper parts of the armor or anywhere that I feel needs shading. I also use the tarnished steel on the broader areas like the sides of the helmet, arms, chest plates, and so forth.

The force and power weapons I am using a Ice Blue over Deneb Stone and I haven’t decided how to finish them off yet. Also the eyes get this with some blue wash and eventually a white dot.

The gold for the GK rank and file is mostly Shining Gold, on Coteaz it’s mostly Burnished Gold but I did a lot of layering and edging on his armor with other Gold Shades.

As for the smudge yeah.. I end up doing a lot of touch ups. :s
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Wow... LOTS of work. Impressive. Like movie Special Effects... the more you work, the less noticeable it is. Great job!
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Still working today some. I haven't gotten to the PA yet at all mainly because I got completley into the dreds. Cool

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04638k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0464
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 8:15 pm

I got the red based in on all 20 of the power armor Gk today and started a simple scheme on a Rhino.

Photo's below..

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04678k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0468

Last edited by jd3 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Looking grey... I mean, GREAT! Just Kidding

The bases could use some scorched grass to break the monotony.... but I know that is not ubber critical. The amount of paint you have put in is AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Well thanks to my 3rd bout of Asthmatic Bronchitis in a month looks like I will be off of work until Wednesday. I'm pretty tired from it and short of breath, but I'm going to try and get as much painting done as I can.

More pics soon.

I haven't decided what I am going to do to the bases yet, most of them are senic bases, but I didn't anticipate going all henchmen crazy like I did... so I need like 60 more infantry bases.
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Well with shaky hands from the breathing treatments I have to take I didn't feel comfortable doing any detail work tonight. So I focused on getting some color on my tanks.

This is a rough start on the rhino hulls. The red is only a foundation paint and the blue is just a one coat. The hulls were airbrushed as the power armor Gk and that stage was done about a month ago.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0469

I have two of the parts below on order. They appear to be a little beefy for the razorback, but since they will be packing psybolt ammo on the assault cannons I'm not too concerned.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) Assaultturret
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:25 pm

The tanks done? They could use some litanies... maybe some gold scribbles on the red? Otherwise they look GREAT!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:38 am

Where are those turrets on order from? (They look like they would make perfect baal predator turret for a spare rhino or two I have).

Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 pm

No Mordy the tanks have only just begun! MUHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!

I've got a lot more to do to them. That is just the basing stage and I refused to try any detail work last night. The abuterol inhaler for my bronchitis makes my hands shake and breathing is pretty important.

Laney the guy is in Greece, so hopefully my order didn't get set on fire in a riot.

Here is his site http://www.rakalnar.com/

He also sells on ebay.

Edit: Well look what just arrived today. The scale is out of proportion for the Razorbacks by a longshot so I dunno what Im going to do with them. Also the quality is less than I expected. They need lots of TLC and green stuff to look 1/2 decent. They do look like they could work for Baal Preds though.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04718k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04738k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0472
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Real shame the quality is not up to it - the original looks ace. I think I'll pass.

The tanks are very cool as they are by the way!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 am

These stupid turrets are growing on me. I shimmed them up and now I think I will use them for Razorback TL Assault Cannons with Psybolt ammo. GK doesn't get any specialized armor like preds, these turrets at least give me the ilusion of having some real armor out there.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG04768k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0479

I also got shining gold on just over half my power Armor guys.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) IMAG0480
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next