Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kiwi's Catachans

Go down 
+11
Laney
Dysturbed
edward
StyrofoamKing
Lord GreyWolf
precentor_james
Mordheimer
MathiasDark
franzyland
Da Bank
Kiwi
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Da Bank

Da Bank

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:26 am

They look great! Nice work!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks again everyone, I would have never finished or even attempted these guys without your feedback.

I've got some bark drying by the fire just now and I'm saving up for flock so hopefully I can base them soon.
Some close ups of the ogryn and kaskrin:

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Wip_1113

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Wip_1115

What you think of my WIP captain? The power fist looks a little out of place but I just had to give him one.

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Wip_1112

Last edited by Kiwi on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:06 am

Since you are aiming higher and higher... I would suggest drilling the gun on the Ogryn!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 pm

your guys are scary good affraid
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks guys,
It's a bit late to drill the barrel, and we only have power drills which I'm a bit hesitant to use on him.
I have basing! Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Icon_cheers

Here is the test model for the basing:
Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Basing10

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Basing11

There is no way I could have afforded to do full jungle basing so I decided to try a kind of jungle floor basing.

Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited by Kiwi on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:34 am

Since I like you SO MUCH... I will do YOU a favor.

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Catach12

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Basing11

Look at the pictures and tell me that the grass does NOT make a huge difference? SUPERB! Good enough to elevate your model! Be proud of your Squad... it is a work of art!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 am

Kiwi - all you need for drilling the barrel is a tiny little pin vice - please don't use a power drill! Very Happy .

Nice base work - sets the model off. The catachans overall look great and I like the introduction of those stripes on the Ogryns leg, reminds me of an empire fantasy soldier.

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks guys,

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 At 02Laney What is a pinvice? I think we may have a crank drill some where is that what you mean?

I know it's a bit simple but its far better than nothing as Mordheimer points out.
On the positive side it's really quick so I was able to finish basing the squad in just an hour or so:

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 21_jun10

Now all that remains are the officers:
Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Wip_2010

Feedback always appreciated.

Last edited by Kiwi on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgetful)
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:01 am

Great work on the squad looking great.
I have never been a big fan of the models for the Catachans though they seem hokier than a pack full of Squats in a clown car to me.
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:00 am

hokier?
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 am

corney instead?
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:06 am

ahhhhhhhh ok that makes sense
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks,
Corney they may be (I may have described them as pink orks) but I think they have a lot more character than the cadians.
The Officers have been really slow going, I'm trying for a more detailed and subtle look with them, but I have managed to finish a lieutenant and a sarge:

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 3_july10
Lieutenant

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 3_july12
Sarge

Feed back always appreciated Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Icon_biggrin .
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 2:09 am

Hi Kiwi,

Basing looks excellent - very consistent, which adds to the overall look of the squad. This is a squad you should be proud of and the more you stretch yourself the more progress your painting, basing, conversion skills will make.

Sorry I forgot to reply to the post about the pin vice a while ago. It's a tiny hand drill set, which looks like this (you can find it in most modelling shops). Bear in mind though that citadel (GW) hobby tools are very pretty, but also expensive - I would look for another make.
Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 6pinvi10

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Kiwi... you put me to shame! I must finish my Catachans... you are an INSPIRATION to me! Thanks for sharing your great models!

PS: You based them too!!!! Awesome!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 am

Kiwi: Nice work. You have improved since you started painting them.

Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 4:44 pm

holy crap your catachans are awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks guys,
I finished the other lieutenant, my painting has definitely improved since I joined the forum:

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Nicks_10

Only the two leader models left to go, and only one of them before I can finally have a game!

@ Mordheimer: you've officially converted me, every mini I paint from now on will be based , they look so much better. You better finish the eye pokers, I'll keep hounding you till you do Just Kidding.

@02Laney: no luck with the drill we have one similar but its about 5 times the size of what you were describing.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 am

You have come a hundred fold! You models look better, your sculpting is out of this world, your painting is improving... and you are even basing! How mcuh cooler can you get? Well... you still have Laney and Deafnala to catch up... but you are WAY ON THE WAY!!! Great job... and thank you for sharing your journey to greatness with us.

Ohhh great! More pressure to finish The Eye Pokers! Between you and Dozer... I swear I will get an ULCER! Hahaha!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Great work Kiwi and I don't just mean the latest effort - you have improved greatly and at the overall look of the squad will be ace. Just carry on learning and keep practicing. Citizen Khaine's eldar haven't given me a target to work on (I mean that power sword was awesome) and loads of people on this forum have provided me with inspiration. This is about the friendliest forum to develop your techniques and get constructive criticism and support (not like many of the forums out there!)

Keep going - just two to finish!
Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:59 pm

VERY, VERY NICE...VERY! You did an EXCELLENT job on the face...the Lad has a definite personality. The choice of colors is TERRIFIC AND the base ties it all together. VERY WELL DONE! What a Face
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 pm

kiwi you are awesome!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
RyanIronwolf

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 am

[quote="Kiwi"]Thanks guys for all the compliments.
I'm a bit unsure about the skin tone but hopefully I can fix it

Quote :
I would suggest basing it... simple, some fine sand and few clumps of static grass... will take the model to a new level!
I think my models are probably long overdue to receive basing but I'm a bit unsure about it. I will probably base them once I have finished the squad.

I recommend for a quick and nice basing style to use the Vallejo course basing material. Looks like cookies and cream but makes good ground work. Mixed with slate and or talus looks great.

Back to top Go down
RyanIronwolf

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 am

Kiwi wrote:
Thanks guys,
I finished the other lieutenant, my painting has definitely improved since I joined the forum:

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 Nicks_10

Only the two leader models left to go, and only one of them before I can finally have a game!

@ Mordheimer: you've officially converted me, every mini I paint from now on will be based , they look so much better. You better finish the eye pokers, I'll keep hounding you till you do Just Kidding.

@02Laney: no luck with the drill we have one similar but its about 5 times the size of what you were describing.

Very nice! Excellent work!
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 12:24 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words,
I have a (fine?) detail brush equivalent, and the squad is finally finished!!!
I'm amazed by how much easier a brush can make painting, he looks a lot better than anything else I've painted (but took twice as long).

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 31_jul10

Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 31_jul11

The alternative captain model I'm thinking of leaving untill this guy dies (fingers crossed he won't).
Thanks for all the help you've given me, hopefully I'll be able to get a game soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kiwi's Catachans   Kiwi's Catachans - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kiwi's Catachans
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next